ricky

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Does God overlook/ turn a blind eye to sin in the life of the believer?

I don't think so.

Of course, God still loves us and will forgive our sins if we confess our sin, as someone has pointed out from 1 John 1. If there are specific sins that we struggle a lot with, I do believe that God is merciful and His grace will cover our struggles too, that is, we will not lose our salvation even though we are struggling with sin and might occasionally lose the battle; but that is exactly what grace is for.

"... where sin increased, grace increased all the more...." (Rom 5:20 NIV)

But we are also taught not to abuse his grace and sin deliberately:

"What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?" (Rom 6:1-2 NIV) 

So God's grace is big enough to forgive our sins even after we are saved, but this grace is not to be abused or misused. And this does not mean he turns a blind eye to sin in a believer's life either.

Does God overlook/ turn a blind eye to sin in the life of the believer?

:thumbsup:

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Revelation 3:19

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1961

God cannot overlook or turn a blind eye to sin. That's why He sent Jesus and why Jesus bled and died on the cross.  When God looks at a new believer or a young believer or indeed any believer, He sees the blood of Christ, not the sin of the person.  The reason Jesus then sent the Holy Spirit into the world after He left was to convict us of sin and to help us repent and turn away from it. Now, being saved, if we know something to be sinful, having been convicted by the Holy Spirit, and yet we persist in participating in that sin, then there is no hope for us and we have made the sacrifice of Christ into a mockery.  We will most definitely grieve the Holy Spirit. Having said that, the Holy Spirit is gentle and does not wham us over the head with each thing that needs to be changed all at once, yet the bible tells us that if we see a brother or sister participating in a sin we should, in love, that is gently and kindly with prayer and leading of the Holy Spirit, show them the truth according to the Word.  Unfortunately too often men rush in where angels fear to tread

Edited by heartprint