IGNORED

Secullar Heavy Metal/Christian Heavy Metal Q

ChristServantSean

that's the answer i was looking for. i do wish sean would see things the same way. 

as for listening to secular heavy metal, i don't know. i sometimes listen to heart... not exactly heavy metal, but definitely not something that glorifies God, either. i also listen to some pink floyd, styx, and elton john (and we all know elton john sure doesn't glorify God.) classic rock is part of my background. songs i grew up with reflect back on different memories in my life. sometimes i just enjoy tripping down memory lane. 

and it does not weaken my spiritual walk. it doesn't change how i feel about God. it doesn't mean i'm letting one of my feet get stuck in the world. and i don't believe that if the_patriot (just picking his name out because he says he listens to some metal) listens to some def leppard once in a while, or metallica, or even ac/dc, that it makes him any less of a christian, either.

but... listening to it at church functions would be crossing a line. and i have to tell ya... i attended a mega church for a short period of time in vegas. didn't stay there for a few reasons... 1) the message was about like skim milk. not very fulfilling. and 2), when i arrived a few minutes early one morning, between the first and second services, the worship band was playing (instrumentally) freebird. now i do love me some skynard, but playing their music in the sanctuary of a church on a sunday morning as people were arriving was just flat out wrong.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Ok, I have been a Christian over 50 years and am relatively mature in the Lord. During the 80s I walked 5+ miles a day to relieve stress, lose weight, and for good health. I started looking for music to pace to so carried a radio with me. Listening to seculare hard rock and metal was making me angry and depressed. I started listening more closely to the lyrics and was outraged.

Meanwhile our sons were bringing me Stryper tapes to listen to--a Christian pop metal? band. I didn't so much care for them but did go to our Christian book store and picked out a wide variety of metal and hard rock to walk to. Some of what was called metal then is called hard rock now. One, Bloodgood, had an ordained minister as part of the band--Michael Bloodgood. He would preach between sessions and give an alter call. But I ran into kids at the Christian book store who used their music to witness like handing out tracts. Kids were getting saved through the lyrics and going to church regularly.

I have to add that I always felt uplifted and full of praise listening to them. Others, like Rez, or Ressurection Band, spoke more about Christians needing to minister to the homeless poor and the drug addicts. They were sermons as well, but it was things we needed to hear and did not always want to hear. King's X used CS Lewis as the basis of their lyrics. Out of the Silent Planet was a favorite. They used to plead, don't be criticle, please pray for us.

Isn't that the thing that we need to do most? Each of us must give our own account to our Master. I should not allow others to call evil what I consider to be good, but neither should my freedom cause others to stumble. This is especially true of a pastor. He should keep his enjoyment of secular music to himself if it doesn't affect him adversely.

If the lyrics glorify God I cannot in any way call it satanic. Some lyrics are neutral, and are fine. If God judges us by our words, we should judge music the same way. I can't stand country music that is lurid or has to do with some guy crying in his beer because his woman done him wrong. I don't listen to much pop or rap today. Just give me pop from the 50s and 60s--the Brothers Four, the Righteous Brothers, Yesterday by Beetles, Unchained Melody. Or the clasical romantics such as Scherazade , Die Moldeau, Peter & the Wolf.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Heavy Metal is satanic music.

Now who told you that? Music is just music. What matters is what is being sung about in the music. I could say that Polka music is satanic. It does not mean that is is true.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

.but I would be leaving that church. You cannot serve two masters....

Why would listing to a certain kind of music be serving two masters? What if it wasn't music? What if the pastor like watching football? Would you consider that serving two masters as well?

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

so, would you say someone listening to non-christian music of another genre is "weak in the spirit"? for instance... someone who enjoys listening to pop, or country, or jazz, or new age, or light rock, or classic rock.

if someone listens to pink floyd are they a spiritually immature christian?

what if a preacher listens to george jones or hank williams? or maybe something more contemporary on the country scene like lady antebellum or little big town?

Depends if the artist who created the music intentionally praises Evil, if Evil lyrics are intentionally incorporated into ones music and a Christian enjoys this type of music, it can only mean that they are weak in the spirit due to lack of discernment in what soils the spirit.

let me point something out here. All the op said was the preacher listened to secular heavy metal, he didnt specify what. It is very possible that the preacher has no intentional evil lyrics, yet your going to continue to judge the pastor-without even knowing? 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I personally like rock music. I also listen to a lot of secular music, mostly from the 70's - 90's as that is what I grew up listening to and have always enjoyed. I do listen to the lyrics and have found, for me, that music with lyrics promoting promiscuity or objectification of women or satanic messages or swearing etc. really does spoil a song for me even if I do love the melody or the awesome guitar solo. All good things come from God and music is no exception in this. As with all good things in this world, as many people here have pointed out, music can be corrupted. But even when music isn't being used to worship God, surely that doesn't make it automatically evil? I believe that music is also meant for our enjoyment. If someone has a real talent and if in using their talent they aren't producing something that is offensive to or against Christian values (while not necessarily being in obvious agreement - shall we say say neutral?) is there any reason why that can't be enjoyed by a believer? What about non-worship music written by Christians?

My husband particuarly enjoys heavy music and I have listened to it and personally, it's not for me. I can't hear the lyrics, the music is not melodic enough for me and well.. it's just not for me. He listens to a wide range of music and I like to see what he listens to and find out if he's discovered anything I might enjoy. Once I was worried about some of the stuff he listened to. We talked about it and he agreed some of the music he had been getting into probably wasn't the kind of thing he, as a Christian, should be listening to (mostly because of the sexualised nature of the lyrics). He now screens stuff before purchases music. That said, he's introduced to me a handfull of different rock bands from the 80's with Christ centered lyrics and I do enjoy listening to that music. I know that I can sing along and enjoy the music knowing the lyrics are good. Willamina mentioned Stryper - one of my favourites - but there's also bands like Whitecross... and others who I can't remember off the top of my head. Those of you who are skeptical, even if you don't like the music, just listen to or look up the lyrics. The singing is clear so the words can be heard. Like someone else said many people who wouldn't step foot inside a church might go a concert and if that's how God chooses to reach them then I'm not sure that we can say with any certainty that this is not one way God chooses to bring the lost to Himself or to encourage His own. I understand not everyone here will agree with me and that is fine (it's not a Gospel issue).

As for the op... Pastors should be held to a higher standard, that is part of the job description. *If* their choices in music are against Christianity that would certainly be a problem. Does your pastor know (really know) how worried the situation makes you and that it could cause you to leave that particular congregation? He might not realise how important this is to you and your wife. Would you stay if he didn't make reference to music that is obviously against Christian values?

ok, but you're still missing the question i'm trying to ask. maybe i'm just not asking it right. and really, the question is more directed at sean than you, since he's really the one who has determined that christian metal is of satan.

if the lyrics glorify God, if the artist testifies the love of Jesus, but the music sounds like a train wreck, who gets to decide that the music is satanic? or that the listener is spiritually immature?

:thumbsup:

Different Folk

Have Different Mission Fields

And They Talk In Different Languages

O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.

Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.

For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.

In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also.

The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land.

O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. Psalms 95:1-6

Take The Lost Hip-Hop (Since 1973~!) Generation

Where The Beloved Rhyme For The KING And Beam HIS Love

Deep Into Lonely Prison Cells Through The Dark Of The Midnight Watch

Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word. Psalms 119:148

Who Dares To

Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.

And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples.

And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace,

the stones would immediately cry out. Luke 19:38-40

Deny Them?

Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices,

acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2:5

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

so, would you say someone listening to non-christian music of another genre is "weak in the spirit"? for instance... someone who enjoys listening to pop, or country, or jazz, or new age, or light rock, or classic rock.

if someone listens to pink floyd are they a spiritually immature christian?

what if a preacher listens to george jones or hank williams? or maybe something more contemporary on the country scene like lady antebellum or little big town?

Depends if the artist who created the music intentionally praises Evil, if Evil lyrics are intentionally incorporated into ones music and a Christian enjoys this type of music, it can only mean that they are weak in the spirit due to lack of discernment in what soils the spirit.

let me point something out here. All the op said was the preacher listened to secular heavy metal, he didnt specify what. It is very possible that the preacher has no intentional evil lyrics, yet your going to continue to judge the pastor-without even knowing?

He did specify what...from the OP: "And not just the Christian Metal, but recently, an Alice Cooper album from 1974. Some of the lyrics on this album are rather disgusting and so far away from Christianity its not funny".

Kwik knows about that kind of music also (post #25). And I never judge anyone, it's not in my position to do so, however I do try to defend the faith and make aware what isn't righteous for the spirit.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Pat,,,

The OP  did say that specifically as Hall mentioned & he also said that when they tried to have a conversation (i think to address the issue of promoting old Alice Cooper stuff) he got in a huff & slammed the door in their face,,,,,it doesn't sound very good?

A lot of secular music is very nice,nothing wrong with it,there is plenty of rock/metal that has nothing to do with the occult ......I don't think anyone really disagrees with that & pastors can listen to whatever they like but I would think it is of the utmost importance what they are suggesting the congregation listen to ......& it is of the utmost importance for him to patient,kind,compassionate.,longsuffering,gentle etc......

With love-in Christ,Kwik