Arka

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

This passage in Luke has been bothering me for a long time.

18:18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

18:20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

18:21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

18:23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

18:24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

18:25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Is it a sin to have money, or a lot of money? Does 18:22 give us an absolute commandment--if we have any money or property at all, are we required to give it all away? Or was Jesus just speaking to this one individual?

I was taught that being rich isn't a sin, but being stingy and hoarding wealth is, and that if you can afford to give charitably more than the 10% tithe, you should. Is that an accurate interpretation of these verses?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Jesus told him that because he wanted to be perfect like Jesus is. Jesus knew his true heart and knew that he loved his riches more than he loved the Lord so he challenged him but the guy failed. Being rich is not a sin, but if we make money a priority over Jesus that is a sin. Christians are seeking what is God's will and what God believes is right, we should not be seeking money and treasure for our own Glory. Jesus said why work for treasures that will perish, work for eternal treasures that no one can take away. Eternal treasures come from Jesus as a reward for our faith in him and denying our self interests to do his will.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Lydia was a rich Christian.

Acts 16:14    

One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul.

And Paul had no problem with her being wealthy. It's about how you Shepard your wealth, and if you understand that it all belongs to God anyway. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1984

Hi Arka! if one is attached to their wealth then they prize the riches of this world over the goodness of Gods grace. And also there is no more tithing under the new covenant, only under the old covenant was it commanded by the 11 tribes to pay a tenth to the levites under the levitical priesthood. Since there is no levitical priesthood under the new covenant there is no reason to pay a tenth, because the sole reason of paying a tenth was to give to the priests the things needed to the ministering of the temple and also to their daily needs since the priesthood did not have jobs.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Hi Arka! if one is attached to their wealth then they prize the riches of this world over the goodness of Gods grace. And also there is no more tithing under the new covenant, only under the old covenant was it commanded by the 11 tribes to pay a tenth to the levites under the levitical priesthood. Since there is no levitical priesthood under the new covenant there is no reason to pay a tenth, because the sole reason of paying a tenth was to give to the priests the things needed to the ministering of the temple and also to their daily needs since the priesthood did not have jobs.

My pastor has a job, he is a pastor....

And awaaay we go on the tithing thing.... :cool2:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Arka

Yes ,Jesus was speaking to that individual......it was the condition of his heart that we need to see.....his treasure was his riches & Jesus knew that,that is why he told that individual to sell everything & come follow Him,,,,,,,Jesus already knew the man would not.

We should also pay close attention to the fact that this rich man thought himself without sin in saying "I have kept the commandments",,,,He didn't even think himself to need a Savior,no he thought he was without sin,,,,,,,,I wonder if he ever really got it after his interaction with Jesus,God in the flesh?

So,no,,,it is not sinful to be Blessed with material things,wealth & riches but when those things become your god then there is the condition of the heart that is not Worthy to enter into Gods Kingdom................               With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1984

I thought it is was very clear in scripture the distinction between the old and the new covenant. If you keep things as truthful and in context as it is in scripture than one can just clearly state that the tenth was solely for the levites, right? Now in regards to the new covenant the believers shared all things upon those who had need, there was no rate, it was just based on situations as they presented themselves, I know one scripture verse talks about living off the gospel, I believe that's in regards to traveling preachers that live from place to place. Christ said God loves a cheerful giver, that's the standard according to the new covenant, not tithing. Tithing is of the old, clearly?

No worries friend, this convo won't turn out like what you hope it won't become. :)

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,358
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Wealth is an individual perspective between the holder (man/woman) and giver (God)... It can only be realized as

a temporary reality in physical status. True wealth however is possessing that which does not pass away but remains

as the epoch of attainment... Love, Steven

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,253
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

We are only stewards of God's riches. We are meant to share both the world's goods and God's grace with others. There is great godliness in contentment--being content with what we have whether we are rich or poor. Some of us share out of our poverty due to compassion for others and thankfulness to God.

Our pastor also held down a full time job in construction untill he could no longer do justice to both. Our congregation had grown to about 300. He lives in a very modest old house on 5 acres and has often opened his home to the destitute as well. They raise livestock and work a garden for food so everyone is expected to work. His wife also superintends our christian school. There are still times that he has problems paying his bills, so he lays them all out on his bed and asks the Lord to take care of them. Our God is always faithful.

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

This passage in Luke has been bothering me for a long time.

18:18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

18:20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

18:21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

18:23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

18:24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

18:25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Is it a sin to have money, or a lot of money? Does 18:22 give us an absolute commandment--if we have any money or property at all, are we required to give it all away? Or was Jesus just speaking to this one individual?

I was taught that being rich isn't a sin, but being stingy and hoarding wealth is, and that if you can afford to give charitably more than the 10% tithe, you should. Is that an accurate interpretation of these verses?

Christ has nothing to do with the wealth of this world which will soon come to nothing. In the very near future no amount of gold silver or printed paper will be able to deliver anyone a drink of water or a bite of food to eat. It will all be gone from no rain on the face of the earth for three and a half years. All of the water supplies will be turned to blood and the wrath of God will begin and not stop until Christ returns 75 days after His two prophets are resurrected back to life. Then everyone who held on to their worldly goods will have wished they would have given them up for faith in God alone. Build faith in God while the wood is still green because in the dry you will only have time to run for your life.