IGNORED

Repentance Definition?

Tinky

Repentance Could Be As Simple (And As Hard) As Turn And Look Up

And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.

And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived. Numbers 21:6-9

And The LORD Jesus Will Do

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:13-15

The Rest

Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:

And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me. Isaiah 6:5-8

~

Merry Christmas Beloved~!

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Repentance is a changing in understanding that leads one to conformity. Just as Alan said earlier in the thread, a person can gain understanding of the bad they do and turn toward that which is good without turning toward God. In that case the repentance is rooted in self-consciousness rather than God-consciousness.

Repentance does not guarentee perfect behavior toward the ideal due to weakness that remains in the individual. The truly repentant one feels sorrow in their failures that drives them to a pure desire to be conformed to the image of the true.

The journey to Christlikeness is the beauty of being a Christian. Learning that the power to be like him comes from him is a stumbling block the self-righteous trip over.

Repentance brings forth fruit...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

many honor Him with their lips, but their heart is far from Him.

John the Baptist said what it takes to repent. amen

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

The better questions are why do we sin and what does it mean to love and know Christ? We sin because we do not believe, Hebrews 3:12-19, and will not enter the kingdom. To love Christ is to keep His commandments, John 14:15-24. To know God is to keep His commandments, 1 John 2:3-6. If we claim to know Him but do not keep His commandments, we are liars and the truth (the Spirit of Truth) is not in us. True repentance is a total change of life that is fully powered and guided by the Holy Spirit (Spirit of Grace). If we are truly repentant and lead by the HS we will not obey the lust of the flesh, Galatians 5:16. We must remember that John's initial address in 1 John was to those who did not have fellowship with them or God and Christ, 1 John 1:1-4. Then he goes into chapter 2 saying he is writing the things so that we may not sin. Why would he want to teach us these things if it is impossible to not sin? Finally if we are continually repenting then we are continually demonstrating we don'the love Christ which is contrary to the life we are called to live. Full reliance on the promises of God and guidance of the HS to walk as Chrisr walked will bring the peace that passes all understanding. I will end with these last questions. How can one live with peace and joy if they are continually failing/stumbling/sinning? Continually sinning against God is no different than a husband who continually commits adultery. Every sin is the same, lying and murder are equal in God's eyes. Committing sin is grieving the HS.

:thumbsup:

Want To Be Happy For The Rest Of Your Life?

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. John 15:3

Stay Close

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. John 15:4

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  2

Jesus began His ministry by the call to repentance, saying "Repent, for the kingdom of God is nigh."

The reason to repent is given as - because God's kingdom is not far away as sinners think, but near to them.

It has always has been near to humanity, ever since God walked in the garden calling for the pair clad in fig leaves.

But as sinners we are quick to admit that heaven is closed to us, our unbelief has closed the mind. But we are not quick to confess that heaven is open for us because of Christ. Jesus is saying the door is open.

If David had kept the goodness of God in mind, he would not have been tempted to think that he was missing out on something, and sinned to feed the empty covetous self.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

You don't need to feel guilty when you believe in Jesus work.  You need to feel thankful!

I think one should feel guilty - because we are.

If we don't believe we are worthless, wretched sinners - with nothing to offer - we won't feel the need for a savior. 

It's like Ray Comfort once said: People who don't believe they are sick, will never seek a doctor. 

Difference in beliefs at that point then.  I believe we become sinless once we believe in the Lord. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,166
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

You don't need to feel guilty when you believe in Jesus work.  You need to feel thankful!

If we don't believe we are worthless, wretched sinners - with nothing to offer - we won't feel the need for a savior. 

It's like Ray Comfort once said: People who don't believe they are sick, will never seek a doctor. 

Difference in beliefs at that point then.  I believe we become sinless once we believe in the Lord.

1 John 1:7-10

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light,

we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of

Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves,

and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins,

he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to

cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that

we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word

is not in us.

KJV

Then how do you deal with this statement in John's writings?

Love, Steven

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Just saw this and before I read any of the responses I will describe my understanding of repentance based on my experience of becoming a true believer in Jesus.

I could write a lengthy article about my struggle with doubts, fears, and the misery associated with a lack of understanding the truth about words like faith, repentance, and believing.

To keep my answer short & simple I'll just say that the Holy Spirit changed my mind about God's Way of saving me as I read in the Gospel of John chapters 1-6. He showed me, convinced me, that I could do nothing but cast my hopeless helpless self at the foot of the cross and let Jesus give me the power to turn from my self and from my sin.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

1 John 1:7-10

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light,

we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of

Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves,

and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins,

he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to

cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that

we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word

is not in us.

KJV

Then how do you deal with this statement in John's writings?

Love, Steven

by following what it says 'confessing your sins and be cleansed from all unrigteousness'

in the same book it defines what unrighteousness, if you will.  1 john 5:17 "All unrighteousness is sin"