IGNORED

Tax Exemption For Churches

Tiger Eye

Guest shiloh357

Amor, abortion was made legal in 1973.   No one thought that the courts  would approve it back in 1972, but they did.   And now the courts are making gay marriage legal.  No one would have dreamed of this several years ago and now it is becoming legal in state after state as our country gets more and more depraved.   No one would have thought that churches that reject gay marriage or refuse to do gay marriages would have their tax exempt status removed, but that is on its way.    That's the point he was making.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

Tiger Eye,

I proposed that if a church was unwilling to obey by the rules, then they should give up their tax exempt status, and then the rules would not apply to them. Nobody wanted to hear that.

You made the right proposal, which would be in keeping with Scripture (Mt 22:21).

There is no authorization in the Bible to seek or obtain any favors from governments.  Indeed,  our spiritual offerings are meant to cost us something.

"Nobody wanted to hear that" is a sad reflection on the state of Christianity in North America.  This also reflects the lack of proper teaching about Christian giving. 

Churches will pay a terrible price for this tax exemption, by having to bow the knee to Baal (the federal government), who will decide what can, and can not, be preached and taught.  Freedom of religion is nullified by tax exemptions. 

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,150
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

Our church pays tax. To be tax exempt, like our orphanage, we have to apply the be a NPO (non profit organisation), and once that is done (one needs a constitution, at least three directors (who cannot be part of the NPO), we can apply for tax exemption.

The beauty off this is that any donation made is tax exempt. It is a way for people to chose where their tax goes, because when submitting tax returns these donations are tax deductible. 

I'm not sure what the laws in South Africa are, but in the US, churches are automatically tax exempt, without any need to incorporate. All donations are likewise tax exempt. The IRS says this in its own literature; but then goes on to suggest incorporation, so that potential donors essentially will feel more at ease. Sly dogs...

The real problem comes with church ownership of property. In most states, tax exemption for property requires non-profit incorporation with the state, not the feds. However, some few states -- I believe about nine as of 2012 -- including Colorado where I live, have adopted the Uniform Unincorporated Nonprofit Association Act. This act provides for churches and other unincorporated nonprofit associations to:

First, it provides them with the legal capacity to receive, hold, and transfer personal and real property. Second, it provides limitations upon the liability of members and functionaries of these associations for tort and contract. Third, it provides them standing to sue and be sued as associations. Fourth, it provides a procedure for disposing of the property of an inactive association. Fifth, it permits designation of an agent for service of process. It does all of these things without requiring any association to conform to a registration statute, to pay fees to the state to qualify for the benefits of UUNAA, or to submit to any mandated form of organization and method of governance.

https://nonprofitassistance.wordpress.com/2008/01/25/uniform-unincorporated-nonprofit-association-act/

After much research into the issues being discussed in this thread, this is the path my own fellowship successfully took. We received nonprofit status (for a registration fee of $175) for our church, mission, and community, and therefore are now exempt from real estate and other taxes. I recommend this approach for other groups, providing this act has become law in their state.

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

Do as the LORD leads. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

I find this whole premise of this thread humorous. :happyhappy:

I don't believe the U.S. Supreme Court would uphold a ruling or law where churches who didn't perform same-sex marriages would loose their tax exempt status.

God bless,

GE

You must be young in age.

I remember many Christians saying the same thing about abortion in 1972.

Now that's funny. GE, young of age? LOL (No offence Golden Eagle.)

Your comment would seem to imply that churches on the USA are obliged yo perform abortions. As thing is not the case, what is the point you're trying to make? A Question to tiger eye,obviously

No, my comment had to do with 

"i don't believe the Supreme Court would....."

Believe it. The Supreme Court is worldly and will not make decisions based on Christian beliefs.

Sorry for the delay in my response.

These small letters and lines all over the place, I have to get use to it.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  14

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 0:42 PM, GoldenEagle said:

I find this whole premise of this thread humorous. :happyhappy:

I don't believe the U.S. Supreme Court would uphold a ruling or law where churches who didn't perform same-sex marriages would loose their tax exempt status.
God bless,

GE

I will have to disagree with you on that, and I see a one world religion , and everyone needs to get along, reguardless of what they belief and put there faith in to , do you see it being impossible to do now ? they can do what ever they want

okay , so now people are seeing the 501c3 tax  for the churches, Tiger eye, I would say if the church is not willing to give up there tax right, and follow what the law is over the word of God , then they are not a church I would be involved with , for justification and compromise, is what we will be seeing, for the powers that be have this in place before the gay marriage issue, and so now , the churches are going to be held in response to follow to marry or revoke its tax form, but you also see the open door to crush the churches of the belief and truth in God, for we have rejected God in many things as a country , and now we are just , following the evil wicked and lawless world until we are , all taken by chosen to let it go , or stand against, for we are in the end times if no ones being looking , and this is the start of the true and real churches going underground, and they will,

we see that the devil has set the wheel in motion, and we are going to get run over, so I get tired of hearing about our rights and constitution, because we dont have one, and what the people are believing is not even in play anymore, we need to be facing the facts that is the churches going to bow, or fight, that is the question, are churches even teaching truth anymore, if they are teaching false doctrines and traditions of men instead of Gods word then they need to be shut down any way ,

so we see how this is all going , and we complain,  why ? we need to be praying and thanking God and Jesus for the cross and salvation, and the food that we have on our tables, and quit  crying over spilled milk , about our rights, are we not Gods saints, ? let the world do what it will , and let us stand for what we need .

this is part of the testing of our faith , and trials that many are not seeing, you are being tested right now, what will you do, if no one noticed ? we are in the end times ? but this is my opinion and what I think, am I wrong?

no one sees the enemy coming in smooth and slow, and  just a inch by inch , until you are backed into a corner,  a slow fade, we have been pushed by the current of a evil flood , and the water is rising, and we are getting wet,  are we calling out to God yet to save us from drowning ? or wait until we have sunk ?

• Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

On 1/14/2015 at 1:14 PM, Tiger Eye said:

At my Tuesday men's group, we discussed rules the government has, will, or could impose on the church, such as homosexual marriages, etc..

It all comes down to the tax exempt status.

I proposed that if a church was unwilling to obey by the rules, then they should give up their tax exempt status, and then the rules would not apply to them.

Nobody wanted to hear that.

But what is right and what is wrong?

Is it right to keep the status, don't pay taxes, and then refuse to obey the rules?

Is that the example a church organization, representing Jesus Christ, should give to the world?

We are not beholden to unjust laws.

This country is founded on certain principles with certain rights.  One of those is that the government will make no law regarding the establishment of religion or the free exercise thereof.

To tell Churches how to exercise their faith is a violation of this protection of our rights.

To charge Churches taxes is also a violation of this protection of our rights.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

In my view, as Christians we are told to be wise stewards of our money. For a church, if they can operate within the laws concerning being a 501c3 organization, they should do so as being wise stewards of themoney they receive and the money of their members. But, if the laws keep a church or parachurch organization from serving in the capacity which they should as a Christian organization, then they should give up their 501c3 status or not apply for it.

If political activism is the mission  of a parachurch organization, then they shouldn't be 501c3.   

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

In my personal opinion, when, and if, a church allows the government to exercise control or influence  over it for some pocket change, it is similar to Esau selling his birthright for a piece of bread and a bowl of stew.

If the government wants to grant favored tax status to a church, because intit's wisdom, is see's that there are thing the church does better with the money that the gov't would (run a hospital, feed the hungry, etc.), then that is fine. However, churches (and other beneficent organizations) need to be mindful of any strings attached.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

25 minutes ago, Qnts2 said:

In my view, as Christians we are told to be wise stewards of our money. For a church, if they can operate within the laws concerning being a 501c3 organization, they should do so as being wise stewards of themoney they receive and the money of their members. But, if the laws keep a church or parachurch organization from serving in the capacity which they should as a Christian organization, then they should give up their 501c3 status or not apply for it.

If political activism is the mission  of a parachurch organization, then they shouldn't be 501c3.   

There should have never even needed to have been a need to apply for it.    

The bottom line is if the Govenrment requires that a Church be a 501c  in order for taxation laws, which should not apply to Churches as the government can make no laws in respect to religion,  then the government cannot use the 501c to make other laws that affect religion either.    Any such laws are void.

A Church should never have to give up their tax exempt status because government tries to use it to control their activities.