• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

I guess I'm thinking of the "war in heaven" passages, (and to a lesser extent, the ones about Danial's prayers being hindered for weeks until the archangel Michael came to help). Can they somehow physically fight each other even though they are spirits? Can they be wounded and suffer pain?

I know the fallen angels will indeed suffer torment in the Lake of Fire - so it makes me wonder.

Just how do they battle each other?  :noidea:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

They are spirits, yet they have spiritual bodies.  When you consider the account of Jesus with the disciples, particularly Thomas, who had to physically touch Him for his own acceptance, then we understand that even a spiritual body has physical characteristics.  The major difference between a spiritual body and a natural body is that the spiritual body is eternal.  So how the war occurs between them would be different than what we think of war.  They cannot kill each other, so there would really be no need for weapons.  I don't know if that means they simply wrestle, or something more, but it is important to note that spiritual beings are imperishable already.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

They are spirits, yet they have spiritual bodies.  When you consider the account of Jesus with the disciples, particularly Thomas, who had to physically touch Him for his own acceptance, then we understand that even a spiritual body has physical characteristics.  The major difference between a spiritual body and a natural body is that the spiritual body is eternal.  So how the war occurs between them would be different than what we think of war.  They cannot kill each other, so there would really be no need for weapons.  I don't know if that means they simply wrestle, or something more, but it is important to note that spiritual beings are imperishable already.

Some angels are described in the Bible as having swords (like the angel guarding the entrance to Eden.) 

It's been boggling my mind lately as to how they actually battle.

Yes, they are described with weapons in some instances.  I'm not certain what those weapons are for though, is it for use against other spiritual beings, or against natural ones?  Probably for both.  I guess there really is not much difference how they would fight, whether they punch one in the nose or slash them with a sword, in the end they cannot kill their opponent.  I would suspect they feel some measure of pain though.  Of course this is all just my opinion, scripture really doesn't say much in this regards, but it is an interesting topic to consider.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I think this is a great question and it leads me to ask how do our prayers make a difference in spiritual warfare? For instance, if (hypothetically) we have guardian angels, should we pray for them to be stronger, or are they already as strong as they can be? Or when we pray to be delivered from temptation does that keep the fallen angels away from us?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

They play dungeon's and dragons. :-P in all honesty I'm not sure I'd want to be around to watch. Part of me thinks that would be cool the other part hazardous to my health.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Just as we cannot imagine what living in their realm is like, I am sure we will never fully understand how they battle in the spirit world until we, ourselves, cross over into the next life.

Just as we cannot imagine what living in their realm is like, I am sure we will never fully understand how they battle in the spirit world until we, ourselves, cross over into the next life.

Amen brother.  :thumbsup:

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

Good against evil.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,125
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

I guess I'm thinking of the "war in heaven" passages, (and to a lesser extent, the ones about Danial's prayers being hindered for weeks until the archangel Michael came to help). Can they somehow physically fight each other even though they are spirits? Can they be wounded and suffer pain?

...Just how do they battle each other?  :noidea:

The heavens are spiritual realms, not physical at all, except in appearance. On earth, evil and good can dwell within the same area and even within the same person. In the spiritual realms, including the hells, this is impossible, because one's place there is determined solely by one's innermost nature. Therefore, similar spirits are attracted to those who are similar to themselves, whether in heaven or hell.

The only reason for warfare between those of heaven and and those of hell is to establish dominance, one over the other. Dominance is determined by power. Satan and his dominion does have power:

Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God...

2 Thes. 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders...

Although Satan does have power, most of it has been derived from those whom he has deceived into giving him their own power: think Adam and Eve, and the fallen angels. Out of these, Satan has established his own kingdom, to rival God's. This God has permitted, to test the souls of every spirit he has created, both angelic and human. But the time will come when God says, "Test over, turn in your assignments," and God will step into history and show that He, and those who have chosen to serve Him, dwarf in power those whom have rebelled against Him. A great separation between the two groups will then take place, each being gathered to its own place.

Those who have developed the most righteous and loving natures will dwell closest to the Holy One; those of lesser natures at a greater "distance" (in appearance, but actually in nature). Likewise, those who have followed evil will find their places nearer or farther from Satan and others of his evil ones.

Edited by WilliamL