creativemechanic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

The thing is, in that middle eastern culture, women are not much more than property and it is less likely that she would get remarried if he decided to divorce her.   They got married before he was converted and his children should not have to suffer and neither should his wives.  He was already marriedto them before his conversion and while it is not how we would do it, I think there is grace for this situation.   It would be a horrible thing to do to them to put them out and a bad testimony for the Lord, as well.

Agree with you and Pat...it would be terrible if he would send them away...

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I wonder what people who are polygamous in other countries do when they move here and become citizens. Since it is illegal here in the US, do they divorse the second wife? They vow to uphold our laws, but I can't imagine this happening. They would have to keep on providing for all families irregardless.

This is more of a cultural thing. Pastors or elders can only have one wife, and deacons, but otherwise it was just discouraged in the new testament. Having mistrisses or concubines is still practiced in many countries in South America and even by English royalty, it seems. It is very hard for missionaries to discourage this practice, even though we consider it fornication. But they try. Here the man is usually divorsed by the scorned wife, and children suffer.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings

I would tend to agree with Shiloh but the thing is that they would be breaking the law............where were they married(in this hypothetical situation)?,,,,I suppose they would have to live there or be ready to face whatever penalties there are for bigamy if they lived in the United States?Unless they were married according to their religious traditions & customs of wherever they hailed from ,they may not even be considered "married" by the laws of the land, they all just live together,      Perhaps we are all reading into it too much ,lol,it is not even real,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they should all just live "happily ever after" & ask for Gods Blessings & Favor,they did this before they came to the foot of the cross......                                   Love,kwik

Guest shiloh357

The scenario seems to imply that they are Christians in the Muslim country in which they were married.  So they are not living in the US (if I am reading this right).

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1967

I have to agree with Shiloh on this too. Is there a clear biblical injunction against polygamy?

I don't find any clear injunction against more than one wife, as I find 1 Tim 3:2 not a clear prohibition. Because if Paul had to articulate "having one wife" an instruction for a deacon, that probably meant there must have been followers who in that culture, DID have more than one wife. Having said that,  I'm also pretty certain that Solomon and David commisurated often over the whole 300 wives and 700 concubines thing. It could've been the catalyst for penning Ecclesiastes. There is a poem I ran across that describes this to a T:

King David and King Solomon led merry, merry lives—with many, many lady friends and many, many wives; But when old age crept over them, with many, many qualms, King Solomon wrote Proverbs, and King David wrote the Psalms.   :biggrinflip:

Guest shiloh357

Polygamous relationships are not a very good idea and that's putting it mildly.   In the Bible, polygamous relationships were chaotic, to say the least.  Jealousy and sibling rivalry were common and that's why Paul said that deacons need to be the husband one wife.

Polygamy is not God's prescription for marriage.  The ideal situation is one man and one wife.  That's the biblical pattern starting in Genesis. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

I agree with Fez and will go further...let God convict them if He feels they should separate....At the same time God hates divorce...where do you go from here?

Just as God made allowances for some in the OT (including David) God would make allowance for a marriage which was "legal" to begin with and would only cause problems for everyone if there was any talk of divorce.  At the same time, the Lord would work with the individuals to bring about an alternative resolution, if there would be one.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

I would say stay with the first woman he married, and care for all the children and other woman equally financially. I accept that I may be totally wrong on this - but it makes sense to me.  ;)