ayin jade

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

I believe I worship God in the way I live my life. In how I treat others. If I offer comfort to someone who is hurting, I am worshiping God.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

What we need to concerned about is false worship,  groups that are promoting a false idea of what congregational worship is.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

What we need to concerned about is false worship,  groups that are promoting a false idea of what congregational worship is.

I agree with that. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

What we need to concerned about is false worship, groups that are promoting a false idea of what congregational worship is.

What would be an example of this false idea?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Can you explain further what you mean by false worship? Is it more than just doctrinally unsound music?

Guest shiloh357

Well, take groups like "Jesus Culture"  which I mentioned earlier.   It started off as a youth conference and morphed into a movement.   It is a rock concert, a worship service and a preaching service all rolled up into one.   

The worship aspect of their movement is troubling because the people who lead it come from Bethel Church in Redding, CA and they are a Word of Faith church.  The worship leaders claim that they have direct audible contact with Jesus himself and the female leaders claims have been with Jesus and His arms were wrapped around her and she claims direct revelation from Him.

This is while ethereal music plays in the background.   In addition, they like so many worship leaders use really shallow songs about wanting God to burn them up and set them on fire and they don't even understand how unbiblical it is.   They will stand and repeat the same five words over and over for a long time.

So many worship songs are about being in a romantic relationship with Jesus.  

In addition,, there are groups who promote "worship-led evangelism"   which basically looks at worship as an evangelistic tool.   The Gospel is something to come and see, and no longer something to go and tell.    Worship is less and less about God and more about personal feelings, these days.

Worship ironically has become an idol.  I know people who church hop in order to find the church with the best praise and worship and if the "quality" goes down, they are gone and looking elsewhere.   I say it is ironic in that people are in some cases, without realizing it, worshipping the act of worship.   They can't worship God if all of the conditions are not perfect.   If the worship team doesn't sound just right, if they don't like the song choices, if they don't a an emotional thrill, they off  to some other place.

People  don't join a church because of doctrine, anymore.   What happens is that a church may be doctrinally unsound, but if the worship is good, people will stay in that kind of church.  It is really sad.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

In a broad sense, worship is not merely an event that occurs on Sunday morning.   Worship is a life of obedience and dependence upon God.   Worship encompasses every sphere of our lives.

With reference to Sunday worship services, I will say that there does seem to be some confusion about what kind of songs constitute worship.   The purpose behind worship is not about me.   Worship is about God.  it is about honoring Him  through acknowledging his power, glory, holiness, eternality, grace, righteousness and the love He has displayed through the redemptive work of Christ.

I have been disappointed at the way worship has been  turned into a circus in churches around our nation.   It has become more about performance and less about God.  I am also disturbed by the way so many worship songs are written with romantic terminology as if God was someone we are supposed to snuggle up with on the couch.  

I have also noticed in some cases, such what happens in the "Jesus Culture" gatherings, worship becomes almost hypnotic.  Ethereal music playing in the background and worship leader and the crowd are just repeating the same five words over and over for 17 minutes.  It's not worship; it's hypnosis and Jesus Culture is a movement full of false doctrine, as part of the New Apostolic Reformation.  

We really need to get back to good solid biblically based worship, the kind of worship that is fitting to the Lord.

I agree shiloh.Church also focuses on being social and God seems to come in second.Worshipping God is every second of the day,every day.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

In the context as part of a service I love today's style of free flowing songs offering our hearts to God. The older hymns are so dreary and slow, not how I picture it from the Old Testament.

King David danced around the city praising and worshiping the Lord. I believe this is how worship should be, not standing still reading the words out of a book.

I also believe it is as much for us as it is for God. Worship should bring us closer to God, it should open our heart to Him. God does not need us to worship Him, but we surly need to worship Him!!

I believe it is all about the heart, Alex. Some people are more emotional than others. If a person sing the words from a hymnal and really mean those words, it is accepted before God.

Worship of God is to be done in Spirit, and truth. Scripture speaks of being generous to others as an accepted form of worship. Offering our bodies to God as living sacrifices is considered worship.

Many feel they need to work up a lather, or go into a trance to worship God, or be "in the Spirit", but scripture says we are already in the Spirit by the mere fact that the Spirit of God dwells in us. We just need to come to him with authenticity and hearts full of gratitude. 

Types of music are so subjective that I think it's wrong for me, or anyone else to tell Saints what type of music they should perform before the Lord. As long as it honors Christ, and does not go off into some sensual, unbiblical mess, it should be fine. Energetic or Old school, to Christ be the glory. 

Guest LadyC

i think the older we get, the more likely we are to appreciate hymns. i used to hate them i remember we'd have to sing them in high school choir because they were such effective warm-up songs for the vocal cords. i thought i'd go to my grave despising them.

sometime in my 40s, i started to really love singing those old hymns, and on the rare occasion that we sing one in church, it's a special treat.