IGNORED

Do Jews Tithes Today? Should Christians?

firestormx

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

I've been doing some study on tithes and I am beginning to think Christians should not tithe. The Old testament say only a Levite could accept the tithes. Also it says if I'm not mistaken that there has to be a temple in Jerusalem for tithes to be required. There is no teaching changing this in the New testament that I am aware of. So why does everyone teach we have to pay tithes if even the Jews don't pay tithes right now?

I was hoping someone could explain this for me. Also I am putting a link down below to an example of some of the articles I've been reading in addition to the reading and studying the bible and prayer.

http://www.askelm.com/tithing/thi003.htm

Firestormx

Christians don't have to tithe, but Christians should give financially to their church.

Without condemning anyone or any ministry, because that is truly not my intent. Would you agree it is 100% false doctrine to say Christians have to tithes, as so many teach? Is the teaching on tithes greed or just incorrect teaching? I mean, I just don't see the New testament justification for tithing.

Thanks for the feedback

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

What we need to do is follow what He places on our heart.  No more, no less.  God knows what is the right thing to do.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  237
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1984

Hi firestorm, I think the best answer is found in Acts 15 where it says:

5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.

7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;

9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

12 Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Guest shiloh357

Teaching on tithing is not greed-based.   Usually teaching on money that is greed-based calls for Christians to plant large "money seeds"  in a preacher's own coffers.   Your financial freewill giving should stay in your church.

Tithing is not required.  It is not wrong to tithe and it is not wrong to not tithe.   Christians should give based on how they are led in terms of the amount. 

10% is a good benchmark and is a good practice, but no one should be made to feel they are slave to that.

What we need to do is follow what He places on our heart.  No more, no less.  God knows what is the right thing to do.

Thanks for the response. Do you believe there is a right and wrong teaching on this subject ?

Hi firestorm, I think the best answer is found in Acts 15 where it says:

5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.

7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;

9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

12 Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Thanks for the response

Teaching on tithing is not greed-based.   Usually teaching on money that is greed-based calls for Christians to plant large "money seeds"  in a preacher's own coffers.   Your financial freewill giving should stay in your church.

Tithing is not required.  It is not wrong to tithe and it is not wrong to not tithe.   Christians should give based on how they are led in terms of the amount. 

10% is a good benchmark and is a good practice, but no one should be made to feel they are slave to that.

Thanks for responding so quick, God bless.

Guest shiloh357

I do think that Christians should be encouraged to support their church financially.   in so many churches, only 10-15% give financially to their congregation and that limits the scope and quality of ministry a church can participate in.    Churches have to pay light and utilities and trash bills, and they have to pay insurance and that money doesn't fall out of the sky. 

Those who are offended when their pastor preaches on money and the need for good stewardship of money, especially if he mentions the need to support the local church, are showing where their heart is.  People don't want to give and shoulder any of the burden, but expect churches to have ministries and activities galore.   That just isn't fair.