RobSigmon

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Does the Hebrew translation of Genesis 1:1 leave the door open that God created life on other planets?

From my Hebrew classes I always wondered about the plural designation of ”Na Shamayim” the word for Heavens.  God created the Heavens and the Earth.  This could have just as easily been written in the singular form – “Heaven” but the “im” at the end of the Hebrew word makes it plural.

Guest shiloh357

The plural is not a numerical plural.  It is a plural of majesty/intensity. It is translated as "heavens" in English because we don't have a non-numerical plural in our vocabulary, that I am aware of.   I don't think it opens the door at all for life on other planets.  God created the universe for us, to show us his power and glory.

Does the Hebrew translation of Genesis 1:1 leave the door open that God created life on other planets?

From my Hebrew classes I always wondered about the plural designation of ”Na Shamayim” the word for Heavens.  God created the Heavens and the Earth.  This could have just as easily been written in the singular form – “Heaven” but the “im” at the end of the Hebrew word makes it plural.

:thumbsup:

Just

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows. 2 Corinthians 12:2 (ESV)

A Thought

To the LORD your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it. Deuteronomy 10:14 (NIV)

Or Two

“But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you; how much less this house that I have built! 1 Kings 8:27 (ESV)

The plural is not a numerical plural.  It is a plural of majesty/intensity. It is translated as "heavens" in English because we don't have a non-numerical plural in our vocabulary, that I am aware of.   I don't think it opens the door at all for life on other planets.  God created the universe for us, to show us his power and glory.

:thumbsup:

It Came

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1

And It Will Go

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. Revelation 20:11

And Beloved, Then

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. Revelation 21:1-2

There Will Be Peace Forever More

And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever. Revelation 22:3-5

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/26/1977

Dear Rob,

The word for "heaven" is always plural in Hebrew; the same is true in most other Semitic languages (quite possibly all of them; I don't know).  In Greek, there's a distinction between singular and plural though.

Hope that helps,

James.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

There are three heavens revealed in Scripture, with God's Heaven as the third heaven (and the atmosphere and outer space as the other two), and that is probably why it says "heavens" in Hebrew. But this would not necessariliy mean life on other planets. 

At the same time, it is entirely possible that in eternity, other planets may be inhabited, since the whole creation will be freed from the curse brought on by Adam's disobedience.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/02/1974

This, obviously, is open to interpretation. No, I don't think this is evidence (in any way) for extraterestrial life. The ancient Hebrews, however, didn't have the concept of extraterestrial life in mind (I believe). We can't isolate any words of any language and expect it to "open the door".

We have no evidence for (or against) extraterestrial life. It's a non issue. It doesn't make a difference, one way or another, with our personal walk with Christ.

God created the Heavens and the Earth, He created us. Did He create others like us, on other planets? Who knows? Maybe. It's not our problem. Our problem is walking with Him as He told us to in the Bible.

There is a logistical problem, however.

If God created life on other planets then He would have given them the same option as we had: to obey Him, or reject Him. If they chose to obey Him, they would still be living in an "Eden". Why would they ever consider leaving? If they chose to reject Him they would still be beholden to the same rules we are: they would still have a Bible and a Savior. Back to square one, or (before square one). It's still a non issue.

If they had rejected God, as we did, they would be only (at least) as old as we are. Plus, it's pure assumptionn to speculate that they exist at all, add to that the assumption that they've developed the ability to traverse the cosmos to come 'here' given the same amount of time to develop we've had...wow, we're really piling on the assumptions.

Language, or otherwise...'aliens' are a non issue. We have no evidence, language or otherwise. All that truly matters is our personal walk with Christ.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  738
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Interesting thread. I was just watching a TED talk lastnight about the various craft that we've deployed to explore our solar system. The speaker mentioned the possibility that there are moons that may harbor life. Let's say we fast forward and we have a probe on such a moon and it discovers that life does exist indeed exist there. Does this have any implications for a Christian worldview?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/02/1974

Interesting thread. I was just watching a TED talk lastnight about the various craft that we've deployed to explore our solar system. The speaker mentioned the possibility that there are moons that may harbor life. Let's say we fast forward and we have a probe on such a moon and it discovers that life does exist indeed exist there. Does this have any implications for a Christian worldview?

I never watched TED talk. I can only assume it's secular.

There is always "talk" about life on other planets, or moons. Talk with no evidence, but not without reason.

We have invested ourselves, as a culture (nearly worldwide) in the belief of evolution. However, we have discovered that abiogenesis could never have happened on this planet. Nearly all evolutionists are atheists, nearly all of them in the "accepted" scientific community. Guess what? Instead of seeking another option (other than evolution) we "look to the stars" for life that 'could have come here'.  This is the "reason". Again, without evidence. It's the evolutionist's (specifically atheists) grasping at straws.