Jack86753

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,884
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

I was going to mention some authors that write fiction or historical fiction (which is what I mostly read) but information has already been given you.   The link Bopeep gave is excellent for fiction authors.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

If it helps, I'm a Christian writer (fiction).

Guest LadyC

If it helps, I'm a Christian writer (fiction).

do you ever do any 1-day free events through amazon? looks like you've got a lot of good reviews on your book.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Christians have been writing 19-1/2 centuries, so there are plenty of good choices to choose from, Many are available for free on the internet, if you just want to read and do not need a paper copy.

One of my favorite authors (probably my favorite Christian author) is the apostle Paul, who wrote:

Romans

1st and 2nd Corinthians

Galatians

Ephesians

Philippians
Colossians
1st and 2nd Thessalonians
1st and 2nd Timothy
Titus
Philemon
and possibly the book of Hebrews

These books are contained the the New Testament of the Bible. Other books by Christian authors (outside of the Bible) tend to have more opinions, interpretations, speculations, or are written for entertainment value. I am not saying they are not worth the read, but if you have not read the books above, those are a great place to start, especially the book of Romans.

For more modern books, many of my favorites are here: https://www.librarything.com/catalog/omegaman2point0

If you want to come up to speed on the topic(s) of theology, I could recommend getting the book Concise Theology, by Packer, or, you can read it online here.

Your question is extremely broad, for such a huge topic, if you could be more specific on what you are after, I could be more specific in my reply.

Welcome to Worthy!

Yeah, if anyone hasn't read the Bible all the way thru at least once, it would be wise to do so...

As Spurgeon said, “Visit many good books, but live in the Bible" or even better “A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.”

That said, CH Spurgeon is also a good author.

Yes that is a given.The OP is talking about other books besides the Bible.I don't read Spurgeon because he is Calvinist and he is Post trib.

Yeah thats true.. wasn't sure on the post trib tho. I havent read much of his work, but from what i have, he writes really well.

Calvinism is false but he believes in personal evangelism so i applied some grace there..

He was not a 5 point Calvinist but he was still a Calvinist and I stay away from that.I have read a little of his work and found that out early.Many like him and recommend his writings.

I know many Calvinist who are lovely Christians :) I don't think it's fair to say to are all false teachers for many preach the gospel...and isn't that what will be most important?

John 13:34-35New International Version (NIV)

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I do not have any Christian books and I've noticed by watching Christian television channels that many preachers and speakers have books available. Does anybody know of a good author to start with? I would be interested in Christian nonfiction and fiction. Thank you.

Welcome Jack :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Christians have been writing 19-1/2 centuries, so there are plenty of good choices to choose from, Many are available for free on the internet, if you just want to read and do not need a paper copy.

One of my favorite authors (probably my favorite Christian author) is the apostle Paul, who wrote:

Romans

1st and 2nd Corinthians

Galatians

Ephesians

Philippians
Colossians
1st and 2nd Thessalonians
1st and 2nd Timothy
Titus
Philemon
and possibly the book of Hebrews

These books are contained the the New Testament of the Bible. Other books by Christian authors (outside of the Bible) tend to have more opinions, interpretations, speculations, or are written for entertainment value. I am not saying they are not worth the read, but if you have not read the books above, those are a great place to start, especially the book of Romans.

For more modern books, many of my favorites are here: https://www.librarything.com/catalog/omegaman2point0

If you want to come up to speed on the topic(s) of theology, I could recommend getting the book Concise Theology, by Packer, or, you can read it online here.

Your question is extremely broad, for such a huge topic, if you could be more specific on what you are after, I could be more specific in my reply.

Welcome to Worthy!

Yeah, if anyone hasn't read the Bible all the way thru at least once, it would be wise to do so...

As Spurgeon said, “Visit many good books, but live in the Bible" or even better “A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.”

That said, CH Spurgeon is also a good author.

Yes that is a given.The OP is talking about other books besides the Bible.I don't read Spurgeon because he is Calvinist and he is Post trib.

Yeah thats true.. wasn't sure on the post trib tho. I havent read much of his work, but from what i have, he writes really well.

Calvinism is false but he believes in personal evangelism so i applied some grace there..

He was not a 5 point Calvinist but he was still a Calvinist and I stay away from that.I have read a little of his work and found that out early.Many like him and recommend his writings.

I know many Calvinist who are lovely Christians :) I don't think it's fair to say to are all false teachers for many preach the gospel...and isn't that what will be most important?

John 13:34-35New International Version (NIV)

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

I am sure you do know many Calvinists who are lovely people and it depends how drastic of a Calvinist a person is.I think everyone has an equal opportunity to go to heaven.Calvinists do not.

For a moment bopeep, I thought you were saying that Calvinists do not have an equal opportunity to go to heaven, lol!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

For a moment bopeep, I thought you were saying that Calvinists do not have an equal opportunity to go to heaven, lol!

No I said that I did not support Calvinism because they do not believe everyone has a chance to be saved.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/27/1945

My favorite kind of Christian books are historical non-fiction (I guess that is what you'd call it) by Lynn Austin.  She wrote a series of books (Chronicles of the Kings) about some of the kings of Israel - Hezekiah, his father and wicked son.  She also wrote "Return to Me" and "Keepers of the Covenant" which is the story of the Israelites who returned to Jerusalem after being in captivity in Babylon for 70 years. I love these books and found them very inspirational. (By the way, not all of Lynn Austin's books are about the Bible.)