rollinTHUNDER

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,986
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  2

This is one of our Lord's shortest parables.

Matthew 13:33 (KJV)

Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

Does anyone care to share their interpretation or guess what this parable means?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

Does anyone care to share their interpretation or guess what this parable means?

This parable speaks of the leaven of false doctrine and apostasy which would infect Christianity (from the time of the apostles). Leaven represents corruption in the Bible. The woman is Satan in the form of a deceptive woman -- Mystery Babylon.  Today's Christianity has been seriously corrupted, and the corruption will spread further.  Not a happy thought, but the truth. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,214
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi rollinTHUNDER,

Jesus spoke these parables (Matt. 13) to the people of Israel & your parable is part of that. Jesus was reminding Israel of the promised rule of God, the kingdom of Heaven, in which they would rule over the nations of the world. The prophet Daniel wrote about this `rule, kingdom of heaven.`

`And in the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed;...` (Dan. 2: 44)

Each parable in Matt 13, shows a different aspect of what God was doing to bring this rule, kingdom about. Your parable of the woman who took the leaven & hid in three measures of meal till all was leavened, speaks of the time God came with two angels & spoke to Abraham & Sarah.

`So he (Abraham) lifted his eyes & looked, & behold three men were standing by him;......so Abraham hastened into the tent to Sarah & said," Quickly, make ready three measures of fine meal; knead it & make cakes,"  (Gen. 18: 2 - 6)

Here the people of Israel should have remembered their ancestors (Abraham & Sarah) divine encounter, & how the miracle baby was promised of God. It is through the `promise of God,` & not of man, that God will bring about the rule, kingdom of heaven over the nations, with Israel as the `mountain of the house of the Lord,...as the chief of the mountains.` (Isa. 2: 2)

Marilyn.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

This is what I found on the parable :) 

Jesus’ Parable of the Leaven is found in two of the Gospels. It is a very simple story—a snapshot of life, really: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough” (Matthew 13:33; cf.Luke 13:20-21).

Jesus uses this story as an object lesson to illustrate the kingdom of heaven. A woman takes yeast (leaven) and mixes it into dough. Eventually, the whole of the dough is leavened. What does it mean?

First, it’s important to define “kingdom of heaven.” By this, Jesus is referring to His domain as the Messiah. In the current age, the kingdom of heaven is spiritual, existing within the hearts of believers (Luke 17:21). Later, the kingdom will be manifest physically, when the Lord Jesus establishes His throne on this earth (Revelation 11:15).

In the Parable of the Leaven, we learn several things about the working of the kingdom in our present age. Each of these lessons stems from the nature of yeast.

First, the kingdom of God may have small beginnings, but it will increase. Yeast is microscopic in size, and only a little is kneaded into the dough. Yet, given time, the yeast will spread through all the dough. In the same way, Jesus’ domain started with twelve men in an obscure corner of Galilee, but it has spread throughout the world. The gospel makes progress.

Second, the kingdom of God exerts its influence from within, not from without. Yeast makes dough rise from within. God first changes the heart of a person, and that internal change has external manifestations. The gospel influence in a culture works the same way: Christians within a culture act as agents of change, slowly transforming that culture from within.

Third, the effect of the kingdom of God will be comprehensive. Just as yeast works until the dough has completely risen, the ultimate benefit of the kingdom of God will be worldwide (Psalm 72:19;Daniel 2:35). “The earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea” (Habakkuk 2:14).

Fourth, although the kingdom of God works invisibly, its effect is evident to all. Yeast does its job slowly, secretly and silently, but no one can deny its effect on bread. The same is true of the work of grace in our hearts.

The nature of yeast is to grow and to change whatever it contacts. When we accept Christ, His grace grows in our hearts and changes us from the inside out. As the gospel transforms lives, it exerts a pervasive influence in the world at large. As we “reflect the Lord's glory, [we] are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit” (2 Corinthians 3:18).

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/parable-leaven.html#ixzz3c8gTrsme

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

This is what I found on the parable :)

Jesus’ Parable of the Leaven is found in two of the Gospels. It is a very simple story—a snapshot of life, really: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough” (Matthew 13:33; cf.Luke 13:20-21).

Jesus uses this story as an object lesson to illustrate the kingdom of heaven. A woman takes yeast (leaven) and mixes it into dough. Eventually, the whole of the dough is leavened. What does it mean?

First, it’s important to define “kingdom of heaven.” By this, Jesus is referring to His domain as the Messiah. In the current age, the kingdom of heaven is spiritual, existing within the hearts of believers (Luke 17:21). Later, the kingdom will be manifest physically, when the Lord Jesus establishes His throne on this earth (Revelation 11:15).

In the Parable of the Leaven, we learn several things about the working of the kingdom in our present age. Each of these lessons stems from the nature of yeast.

First, the kingdom of God may have small beginnings, but it will increase. Yeast is microscopic in size, and only a little is kneaded into the dough. Yet, given time, the yeast will spread through all the dough. In the same way, Jesus’ domain started with twelve men in an obscure corner of Galilee, but it has spread throughout the world. The gospel makes progress.

Second, the kingdom of God exerts its influence from within, not from without. Yeast makes dough rise from within. God first changes the heart of a person, and that internal change has external manifestations. The gospel influence in a culture works the same way: Christians within a culture act as agents of change, slowly transforming that culture from within.

Third, the effect of the kingdom of God will be comprehensive. Just as yeast works until the dough has completely risen, the ultimate benefit of the kingdom of God will be worldwide (Psalm 72:19;Daniel 2:35). “The earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea” (Habakkuk 2:14).

Fourth, although the kingdom of God works invisibly, its effect is evident to all. Yeast does its job slowly, secretly and silently, but no one can deny its effect on bread. The same is true of the work of grace in our hearts.

The nature of yeast is to grow and to change whatever it contacts. When we accept Christ, His grace grows in our hearts and changes us from the inside out. As the gospel transforms lives, it exerts a pervasive influence in the world at large. As we “reflect the Lord's glory, [we] are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit” (2 Corinthians 3:18).

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/parable-leaven.html#ixzz3c8gTrsme

I'm not as deep as the rest of you here but I DO know what I agree with.  All of the answers are great but, Angels,you hit it right on the head here.  Good job:mgcheerful:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,986
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  2

Thanks to all who have participated. I was hoping to have more weigh-in, so I'll hold off on my thoughts for a little longer.

To Marilyn: I can see your skills as a teacher shining through, as you've done your homework. You are the only one so far that has caught onto the three measures of meal, which I believe plays a very key part. However, I believe this parable goes deeper still. It kind of reminds me of the parable of the mustard seed. It was so small, yet grows so large. I see the three measures as well, but there are two words that really catch my eye. I'll discuss them later.

To angels4u: There are some good nuggets in what you have pulled up as well, but I think it goes deeper.

To Ezra: I'm not sure what you're focusing on here, but there will be no sin, corruption or false teaching associated with the kingdom of heaven. However, I believe it relates to the time of the end as well, but Mystery Babylon has no part in the kingdom of heaven.  She is a key player in the kingdom of darkness.

Are there any others who care to share their thoughts?

Cheers

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

To Ezra: I'm not sure what you're focusing on here, but there will be no sin, corruption or false teaching associated with the kingdom of heaven. However, I believe it relates to the time of the end as well, but Mystery Babylon has no part in the kingdom of heaven.  She is a key player in the kingdom of darkness.

The fact that a woman is mentioned should be a red flag, and should take us back to the prophecy of Zechariah which calls the woman "Wickedness" (Zech 5:5-11) and also mentions Shinar (Babylon).  The fact that leaven represents corruption (sin and evil) in the Bible should be a red flag. Check out the other references to leaven in the Bible, and what unleavened bread represents.

And if you believe that the Kingdom of Heaven (Christendom) has not been corrupted by the leaven of false doctrine and apostasy, then that is called burying your head in the sand.  The Lord and His apostles already warned us that this would happen, and that is what this parable is about, and that is what we see all around us.

Please note in the other parables that there are wheat (good) and tares (bad), good fish and bad fish, and that it was the Enemy who sowed the tares into the wheat.  Who is this Enemy? So to claim that the Kingdom of Heaven is free from evil influences (seducing spirits and doctrines of devils) is to simply deceive ourselves.

Mystery Babylon is the worldwide apostate system of religions which began in Babel, which is presently growing by leaps and bounds,  and will end in the reign of the Beast, whose image will be worshipped in a time to come.  A large part of "Christendom" is included here, and discerning Christians will understand this.