IGNORED

Pets, Idolatry, and our current state of affairs.

The_Patriot21

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Animals will be in Heaven or they won't be, really is there anybody actually losing any sleep over this? There are a lot of things we don't know about Heaven and that's the way it is meant to be, we do know it is a wonderful place. If we knew what Heaven is like, that's like knowing that there will be an surprise birthday party for you, the excitement just wouldn't be the same. We enjoy animals in the world around us and yes it would be nice if there's animals in Heaven, but we can't let our emotions dictate what we feel is going to be in Heaven (we didn't make the rules).

Oldzimm 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

Animals will be in Heaven or they won't be, really is there anybody actually losing any sleep over this? There are a lot of things we don't know about Heaven and that's the way it is meant to be, we do know it is a wonderful place. If we knew what Heaven is like, that's like knowing that there will be an surprise birthday party for you, the excitement just wouldn't be the same. We enjoy animals in the world around us and yes it would be nice if there's animals in Heaven, but we can't let our emotions dictate what we feel is going to be in Heaven (we didn't make the rules).

Oldzimm 

I certainly am not losing any sleep over this.When I get to heaven it will then be revealed to me.I do know that the number 1 priority is to see Jesus Christ face to face.I think about how amazing this will be all the time.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,727
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

probably the same logic that simple is riding on-that the original hebrew is somehow "better" then the OT. While, it is true, that some things are lost in translation, the Bible makes it clear that God will preserve His word, and that the translators actually did a very, very good job of getting the meaning across in the translation, assuming your going with a literal translation. There are some translations, like the message, that are just pure junk, but most of your literal ones such as the NASB, the KJV, and the ESV are very solid. 

Also keep in mind theres a lot of "would be scholars" out there, that hold that the "hebrew" really is the best, but don't actually grasp hebrew well enough to actually understand it, like those that think the hebrew teaches that the animals have a "soul" like humans that is eternal. Its a misunderstanding of hebrew text.

I do believe to the original languages are the best. Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. The accepted translations are very good. Well, I do not know Greek and I am extremely limited with Aramaic. But, the first time I read a bible which included the NT, I wanted to check to see if it was somehow corrupted or slanted. I did believe the OT was the words of God, in the original Hebrew manuscript and that the Masoretic text was very very very accurate. The question in my mind was whether Christians who translated the Hebrew text, did so accurately. I bought a Christian bible, and then chose certain OT verses to compare the English translation against the original Hebrew. I found the translation extremely accurate.

The Jewish translation of the OT has some variations with the Christian translation. Since accepting Jesus, I have gone over the differences to see if they are both reasonable. I do find both reasonable, but almost always side with the Christian translation. However, there are times when the translation appears to be either theologically slanted or slanted by cultural expression.

The Hebrew text does say animals have a soul. It does not say whether the soul is eternal or not. So, a judgement either way would be going beyond what the text actually says. Is a human soul the same as an animal soul? No. Just as the human body is not the same as an animal body, but they are both bodies. 

I have given a Jewish translation which agrees that animals have a soul, so it is not my unique understanding. Experts in Hebrew have also translated nephesh as soul, when referring to animals.

If I am doing this right, this should be a link to my post which quoted from the Jewish Publication Society English translation.

It is a common method to go back to the original languages for clarification when studying scripture.

I got nothing wrong with your approach, like I said I do some dabbling I the original myself because I do think it can deepen ones understanding of scripture. My issue is with those who go through and look down upon those who don't understand the original language, and try to use the original text to suggest that others can't possibly know the Truth-much like what the Catholic church did in Martin Luthers time and what has been suggested by others in this thread. Understanding Greek and Hebrew, while it can be beneficial to for Christians to learn does not make one a better christian then someone who only understands the English.

There are several very good translations of the English Bible.Why go to a Hebrew Bible?Many have to work on their correct interpretation of the English Bible before then go on to a Hebrew Bible.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  58

Oldzimm 

Not me, but surprisingly there are some who are that wrapped up in it that they do lose sleep over it.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

I got nothing wrong with your approach, like I said I do some dabbling I the original myself because I do think it can deepen ones understanding of scripture. My issue is with those who go through and look down upon those who don't understand the original language, and try to use the original text to suggest that others can't possibly know the Truth-much like what the Catholic church did in Martin Luthers time and what has been suggested by others in this thread. Understanding Greek and Hebrew, while it can be beneficial to for Christians to learn does not make one a better christian then someone who only understands the English.

Ok, I agree with what you said.  I believe with the help of the Holy Spirit, Christians have a better understanding of scripture and how to live as a believer then a non-Christian who is an expert at the original languages. 

Ok, I agree with what you said.  I believe with the help of the Holy Spirit, Christians have a better understanding of scripture and how to live as a believer then a non-Christian who is an expert at the original languages. 

Of course a person who is just coming to Christ needs only the basics.As that person matures then they can branch out.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

There are several very good translations of the English Bible.Why go to a Hebrew Bible?Many have to work on their correct interpretation of the English Bible before then go on to a Hebrew Bible.

There are several good translations. I grew up with the Hebrew bible. If I am not sure what the English means in the OT, I look at the Hebrew for clarification. 

I do not know Greek at all so I do rely on English only. Once in a while I look at a concordance, but I know that you can't translate by concordance because a concordance assumes you are familiar with the grammar of the language.   

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Oldzimm 

I certainly am not losing any sleep over this.When I get to heaven it will then be revealed to me.I do know that the number 1 priority is to see Jesus Christ face to face.I think about how amazing this will be all the time.

Amen to that bopeep.

After we fall to our knees and we praise, honor, an glorify Jesus, what else are we going to say? Maybe "hey I read about you". (just adding a little humor)

Oldzimm