Khristeeanos

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

I'm hoping for your opinions. I'm also hoping for no KJVONLY comments. :)

My basic question is what version of the Scriptures are most trustworthy. By that I mean closest to the original intent of the Author and authors. It is difficult to put in words what I am trying to say, but I remember hearing how Biblica has been "tinkering" with the NIV and upsetting some evangelical groups.

What do you think? I have over 20 versions of the Bible and enjoy them all.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

You have 20 versions, my guess is that they are all pretty good. Do you have some reason to believe, that any one of them is leading you astray?

Still, my favorites are the NASB and the NASB95 so far. However, as far as which is the most faithful to the originals, when no one has the originals to compare them to, and few here (if any) at worthy has put in decades of intensive study of the original languages to make such a judgement, seems like an odd question to ask, your opinion might be as valid as anyone's.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

I'm hoping for your opinions. I'm also hoping for no KJVONLY comments. :)

You killed your chances right there.

I am looking for a version that attempt to say what was said by the authors. When translating from a language that isn't in use from nearly two thousand years ago there will obviously be some misunderstanding. But it seems like (speaking of the NIV) with all the updates it has been made to cater to the Church culture. I am not part of that any more. Since I mostly left the instutional expression of relating to God my relationship with Him has grown tremendously. I don't mean to disrespect any person or group in any way, but it seems like when I was in that culture mt relationship with God was more based upon my efforts rather than His love for and acceptance of me. And it was that way for most of the people that were also living out that lifestyle.

So that mindset was so thoroughly ingrained in me that I always read Scripture through that lens. Religious effort and busyness replaced true interactive and conversational intimacy with Jesus.

So I desire to find a translation that is trustworthy and approaches us from a relationship perspective rather than a religious obligation mindset.

Oh, and there is little chance of me reading any version of the KJV. No offense intended, but the Scriptures are to point us to God and guide our relationship with Him. Using a 400+ year old translation on a language that I've never spoken doesn't speak to me. I was a strong KJV-only person for a while. I had books to prove my point and even ordered the original 1611 version.

Jesus is the Word, not the Scriptures. There is a Trinity that is God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Not those plus a perfered version of the Bible.

I started this thread with a comment about no KJVONLY and have zero desire to discuss it. This is exactly why.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

I started this thread with a comment about no KJVONLY.... 

and have zero desire to discuss it.... 

This is exactly why.....

~

Dear One, When A Beloved Member Gives Of The Very Best He Has To Offer

but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; 1 Peter 3:15 (NASB)

Should We Than Shut Down These Interesting Threads

Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so. Acts 17:11 (ESV)

Just Because Of Some Offence

A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. 2 Timothy 2:24 (NTL)

Taken? 

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:10 (NIV)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (KJV)

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

Which do you currently use as your "go to" ?

I'm not satisfied with a religious expression of God any longer. Debating whether or not a perfered version of the Bible is in fact the only real version and all others are in apostasy is fruitless. I did that exact same thing and I never once "won" a "convert" to "my" position. It divided people that Jesus wants brought to unity. The Church is divided enough.

There is no real life in the Scriptures. Jesus said you search the Scriptures for life, but true life is in Me, the one that the Scriptures testify about.

Jesus is the way, truth and life (not the Bible).

In the beginning was the Word (not the Bible)

The Word of God (Jesus not the Bible) is living and active.

The Scriptures are the inspired words of God. They aren't life, but point us to the One that gives it. They are a guide for finding true relationship where Jesus can lead us.

Jesus said His sheep know His voice and follow Him. God can and does speak to us in and through the Bible. But that is not the only way. He replaced our heart with one that He Himself describes as good and pure and noble and there He dwells in the Person of the Holy Spirit. That is how He communicates with us. There is a way of cultivating and nurturing that.

I don't intend to dismiss the people or discount their zeal for God and the Bible. I respect your walk with God. But at the same time I cannot accept that God is a "one size fits all" and that we are doing Him a favor by insisting that we have the right details on our positions that are no where to be found in the Scriptures.

The NT never once says "one day when people speak English there is only one version to use."

Please don't take my words here as accusatory or like I have it figures out because I don't believe I do. We are all equal in God's eyes and are all in process with Him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

My apologies. I thought you were asking for opinions on Bible versions. My earlier question to you now seems moot. 

Edited by AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken