• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

:

If you speak English, it’s “Jesus”; But over the years, I have seen some people trying to convince us, that the Lord isn’t pleasedwhen we use that name, because 2000 years ago, in the language of the time, it was different. In Greek, Jesus was called, “Iésous”.

Now, I know that you may not have ever see this name used for Jesus, but I bet you have seen the name “Yeshua” used. This is an English transliteration of the Hebrew name for Jesus.  And although Jesus did speak in Hebrew, he also spoke Greek, in His ministry here on Earth.

The reason we know that Jesus spoke and ministered using the Greek language, is because during the time that He was here,Greek was the official language of the world, and therefore God’s Word in every Synagogue was written in Greek.
------------------------
The Lord Himself, demonstrated to us, that the language we speak or worship in, makes no difference to Him at all.  The way He did this,was by arranging(in His providence), for the Greek Old Testament, to have subtle differences in it(from the Hebrew),so that we would know(2000 years later), that when Jesus was reading from the Old Testament, that He was actually reading a Greek Bible, not a Hebrew one.
Look closely at.....
Luke 4:18-19
V.18  The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted,
to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
V.19  To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

This is a quotation from Isaiah 61:1-2, but as we can see in our Bibles(that were translated from the Hebrew Old Testament), that it’s not exactly the same.This quote in Luke 4:, is the LORD’s way of telling us not to be overly concerned about the language that we are using, because it’s all GOD’S WORD!
(As long as some modern Scholar hasn’t removed words or verses from it!)
------------------------
My point:
If you want to call Jesus “Yahweh” or “Yeshua”, praise the Lord!  But be careful to examine your heart and make sure that you aren’t considering yourself more Spiritual because you do!

Edited by bigape

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

My understanding is that Jesus spoke Hebrew and occasionally Aramaic.  It was Paul who used Greek.  Perhaps I am wrong.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

While Jesus very likely spoke Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek, Aramaic was likely the language Jesus spoke the most. The Gospels record Jesus speaking numerous Aramaic words: talitha koum (Mark 5:41); ephphatha(Mark 7:34); eloi eloi lama sabachthani (Matthew 27:46Mark 15:34); abba (Mark 14:36). Historians, archaeologists, and cultural anthropologists are almost universally agreed that Aramaic was the common or colloquial language in Israel during Jesus’ time. Aramaic was very similar to Hebrew, but with many words and phrases that were borrowed from other languages and cultures, especially Babylonian.
http://www.gotquestions.org/language-Jesus-speak.html

Edited by bopeep1909

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

In the English language JESUS is the name of the Lord Jesus Christ  (which is to be preferred according to Scripture). Messianic Jews have in the recent past reverted to the Hebrew Yeshua, but that should not lead to a denial of the existence or use of JESUS. There is power in His name, and Satan and all his evil angels fear that name, which is above every name (Philippians 2:9-11):

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

Amen all.

If there is a password to Heaven, I hope it's not case-sensitive or requires "captcha" to enter. Somehow, I don't believe our Father would have me banished to the Lake of Fire over a particular language or pronunciation. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,138
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings bigape

Welcome to Worthy....

my point:
If you want to call Jesus “Yahweh” or “Yeshua”, praise the Lord!  But be careful to examine your heart and make sure that you aren’t considering yourself more Spiritual because you do!                                                         posted by bigape

Your "point" is a good one no matter what language a person speaks,,,,,,,,,,I'm not sure what this has to do with the rest of your OP but never the less,if this is what you were leading up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Well,Praise the Lord & to Him be the Glory!

As far as the passage (Luke 4:18-19) you refer to ,,,this is not about language,this is why it is so very important not to take singular verses of Scripture out of context .........There was much more to the quote in Isaiah that Jesus DID NOT read ,,,,,one has to ask"Why did Jesus stop there?"........It is all about prophesy being fulfilled in Jesus that very day........the Jews missed it because they were expecting the Messiah to come as a King,a Ruler,Savior "of" this world,their world,their people etc,,,,,that is why Jesus stopped where He did,He was putting emphasis on the fact that He came as a Servant,Suffering Servant(that time around),,,,,,,,,,Okay,I am going off topic now and this should probably be reserved for another discussion on another thread,,,,,,,

God Bless you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,     Hope you are enjoying Worthy as much as I do,it surely is a Blessing from our Lord!!!!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,041
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

Just like a rose called by any other name is still a rose,

Jesus called by whatever name or tongue is still the only Savior and Deliverer for men from their sins.

They say I am called Guillermo in Spanish and I am quite OK with that.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus did speak in Hebrew.....
 “And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.”  (Acts 26:14)

In fact being God, He was able to speak in any language He chose!
------------------------
And He chose to use whatever language worked best for the situation(to get His message across to whoever He was talking to).

This explains why, during this time in history, the Bible was translated into Greek and Jesus(by His actions), tells us that it was still God’s Word, even though it had been translated into a different language.

This is significant.