Last Daze

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  4

I want to focus on this aspect of the seventy weeks prophecy in Daniel 9.

And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week.  Daniel 9:27

I think I've heard about every possible explanation of this but something struck me recently as I re-read the gospels.  Jesus was sent to the lost sheep of Israel and the focus of His ministry dealt with the condition of men's hearts and heavenly things.  The people could not get past the letter of the law and earthly things.  For example:

• Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated? But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.  Matthew 15:17-18
  • You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.  Matthew 5:27-28
  • If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?  John 3:12

Over, and over, and over again people were missing the point of His teachings because they were focused on the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law, the natural instead of the spiritual.  The reason that I find this applicable to Daniel 9:27 is that Christ is confirming the new covenant with Israel.

But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.  Jeremiah 31:33

The new covenant is one of the heart.  Jesus spent ~3.5 years confirming this covenant spoken of by Jeremiah, with Israel, as evidenced by His teachings.  Although the new covenant may not have "officially" begun until the shedding of His blood, His entire ministry revolved around explaining it, confirming it.  This leaves roughly 3.5 more years of Christ confirming the covenant with Israel.  I see a couple of possibilities both of which are by proxy:

• the disciples stayed in Israel for 3.5 years before taking the gospel to the Gentiles.
  • the two witnesses minister to Israel in the wilderness for 3.5 years just before the return of Christ.

I know that certain things are to be accomplished during the prophecy of the seventy weeks which is why I tend toward the latter of those two.  However, I guess it's possible for those things to have been accomplished during the first century yet not fully realized until the return of Christ.

What I don't see is a future seven year period of time where the man of sin confirms a covenant with Israel for seven years.  Never is there mentioned a seven year period of time in the context of end times prophecy, nor are we ever instructed to look for one as a sign.

I'm not terribly adamant about the seventieth week, since it's only mentioned once, but it just stuck out to me how Christ's ministry of the heart and heavenly things fit the new covenant that Jeremiah spoke of but was largely misunderstood.  I'm open to any scripturally based viewpoints.

who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.  2 Corinthians 3:6

The book of Daniel clearly explains that the anti-Christ confirms a 7 year peace treaty with Israel and breaks that treaty after 3 1/2 years and sets up the abomination that causes desolation in the Temple. Your interpretation contradicts Scripture and is incorrect.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

What I don't see is a future seven year period of time where the man of sin confirms a covenant with Israel

for seven years

.  Never is there mentioned a seven year period of time in the context of end times prophecy, nor are we ever instructed to look for one as a sign.[/quote]

If we are to understand Bible truth, we must always keep the context before us.  The context of Daniel 9:27 is (1) the book of Daniel, (2) prophecies concerning empires which would impact on Israel and (3) the future of Israel itself from the time of Babylon until the Second Coming of Christ. Therefore this seven year period is to be understood in light of the seventy "weeks" (Hebrew "sevens" = 70 x 7 = 490)  of Daniel, where each week is a seven year period for a total of 490 years. Daniel 9:27 focuses on the last or 70th week of Daniel, which is yet future.

Therefore this covenant is definitely NOT the New Covenant, but a phony covenant with Israel concocted by the Antichrist.  Why is it phony?  Because it is broken (reneged) in the middle of the 7 year period, and we have multiple Scriptures telling us about what happens for 3 1/2 years (forty two months or 1,260 days).

Why is it future?  Because the Lord Jesus Christ Himself made it future.  He spoke of the Abomination of Desolation as a future event which would trigger the Great Tribulation before the Second Coming of Christ.

The book of Daniel clearly explains that the anti-Christ confirms a 7 year peace treaty with Israel and breaks that treaty after 3 1/2 years and sets up the abomination that causes desolation in the Temple. Your interpretation contradicts Scripture and is incorrect.

What I don't see is a future seven year period of time where the man of sin confirms a covenant with Israel

for seven years

.  Never is there mentioned a seven year period of time in the context of end times prophecy, nor are we ever instructed to look for one as a sign.

If we are to understand Bible truth, we must always keep the context before us.  The context of Daniel 9:27 is (1) the book of Daniel, (2) prophecies concerning empires which would impact on Israel and (3) the future of Israel itself from the time of Babylon until the Second Coming of Christ. Therefore this seven year period is to be understood in light of the seventy "weeks" (Hebrew "sevens" = 70 x 7 = 490)  of Daniel, where each week is a seven year period for a total of 490 years. Daniel 9:27 focuses on the last or 70th week of Daniel, which is yet future.

Therefore this covenant is definitely NOT the New Covenant, but a phony covenant with Israel concocted by the Antichrist.  Why is it phony?  Because it is broken (reneged) in the middle of the 7 year period, and we have multiple Scriptures telling us about what happens for 3 1/2 years (forty two months or 1,260 days).

Why is it future?  Because the Lord Jesus Christ Himself made it future.  He spoke of the Abomination of Desolation as a future event which would trigger the Great Tribulation before the Second Coming of Christ.

How can the man of sin confirm a peace treaty for seven years if he breaks the treaty half-way into it.  That statement is self-contradictory.  The covenant is confirmed / strengthened for seven years.

I listed the new covenant described by Jeremiah and showed how Jesus confirmed this covenant by speaking to the "heart" of the matter.  All you've given is a baseless "peace treaty" that isn't even confirmed for seven years....and with no scriptural support I might add.  You seem to be saying that he "makes" a covenant for seven years and then breaks it halfway through, but that's not what Daniel 9:27 says.

Please post a scripture that describes "the covenant" being referred to that's confirmed for one week if it's not the new covenant.  Let's start there.  Daniel was obviously referring to something....or was he just making it up?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

How can the man of sin confirm a peace treaty for seven years if he breaks the treaty half-way into it.  That statement is self-contradictory. The covenant is confirmed / strengthened for seven years

. [/quote]

This is just like the bogus Iran nuclear deal that has been executed in bad faith by Iran.  Iran has absolutely no intention of honoring any agreement which prevents it from becoming a nuclear power and destroying Israel.

That word "confirm" (KJV) is the Hebrew word gabar, which means "to be strong" (thus "to make firm") and by implication "prevail" or "act insolently".  Because the Antichrist already has the upper hand, he insolently makes a bogus seven-year treaty with the full intention of breaking it after 3 1/2 years.  Why is this so difficult to grasp?  Satan never acts in good faith, so there is nothing self-contradictory.  Talk to the ayatollahs.

How can the man of sin confirm a peace treaty for seven years if he breaks the treaty half-way into it.  That statement is self-contradictory. The covenant is confirmed / strengthened for seven years

This is just like the bogus Iran nuclear deal that has been executed in bad faith by Iran.  Iran has absolutely no intention of honoring any agreement which prevents it from becoming a nuclear power and destroying Israel.

That word "confirm" (KJV) is the Hebrew word gabar, which means "to be strong" (thus "to make firm") and by implication "prevail" or "act insolently".  Because the Antichrist already has the upper hand, he insolently makes a bogus seven-year treaty with the full intention of breaking it after 3 1/2 years.  Why is this so difficult to grasp?  Satan never acts in good faith, so there is nothing self-contradictory.  Talk to the ayatollahs.

It's not difficult to grasp what you're saying.  I understand it perfectly.  It's just not scriptural.

Why is it so difficult to grasp the fact that Daniel 9:27 says that the covenant is confirmed for seven years, not 3.5?  How does the man of sin confirm this covenant for the remaining 3.5 years after he breaks it?  And what kind of covenant is it?  I noticed that your reply was again scripture deficient.  If all you have is unsubstantiated claims, well, that's about as profitable as talking to ayatollahs.

This doesn't speak of making a covenant.  The covenant was already made.  This speaks of confirming, or strengthening, it for seven years.  Are you saying that Daniel is wrong and that the covenant is only confirmed for 3.5 years? 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,135
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

When looking at the covenant, it is a 7 year pact.  There is a beginning point and there is an ending point.  And then there is the middle of the 7 years.  For this to happen the 7 years must be continuous.  No breaks in between (no divide and separate), that would negate any middle.   Both Daniel and Revelation says there are two 3 1/2 year or two 1,260 day periods.

When looking at covenants from God, they are all everlasting, they are absolute, they do not need confirming.

This all begins with the 70 Sevens which were decreed.  This is what the prophecy says.  There are 70  full 7 year periods.  And then all six tasks must be complete at/by the end of this 70 this Week.  Who is the prophecy for; Daniel's people, and Daniel's holy city. (Not Christ) (No Buts, Christ has already completed them).  Re-Read the Prophecy again, and who it is for.

Christ has no need to confirm a covenant, and only for 7 years.  So it must be someone else who is confirming this 7 year covenant.  Like, who is going to clean up the carnage of the bodies of those killed when attacking Israel.  If you will clean up this mess, I will let you rebuild your Temple, and pay you a wage to do the clean up.  Part of this 7 year covenant is to re-establish (confirm) sacrifices in the new Temple.

In Christ

Montana Marv

It's not difficult to grasp what you're saying.  I understand it perfectly.  It's just not scriptural.

Why is it so difficult to grasp the fact that Daniel 9:27 says that the covenant is confirmed for seven years, not 3.5?  How does the man of sin confirm this covenant for the remaining 3.5 years after he breaks it?  And what kind of covenant is it?  I noticed that your reply was again scripture deficient.  If all you have is unsubstantiated claims, well, that's about as profitable as talking to ayatollahs.

This doesn't speak of making a covenant.  The covenant was already made.  This speaks of confirming, or strengthening, it for seven years.  Are you saying that Daniel is wrong and that the covenant is only confirmed for 3.5 years? 

No, Scripture is saying that the anti-Christ breaks the covenant (peace treaty), after 3 1/2 years. The treaty is for 7 years, which the anti-Christ guarantees for those 7 years. But after 3 1/2 years, he breaks the treaty. Open your eyes. It is right there for everyone to see.

No, Scripture is saying that the anti-Christ breaks the covenant (peace treaty), after 3 1/2 years. The treaty is for 7 years, which the anti-Christ guarantees for those 7 years. But after 3 1/2 years, he breaks the treaty. Open your eyes. It is right there for everyone to see.

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of Scripture you posted in support of your speculation.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,957
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0

My comment

It is the Lord who will confirm the covenant that He has with His nation of Israel [the many] during the coming 70th week decreed for Israel [Daniel 9:24-27]

It is the other prince that will come to desecrate Israel at the middle of the 70th week

There are two princes noted in Daniel 9:26-27 .... the Lord, and the other prince that shall come

Verse 9:27 is a repeating of verse 9:26 giving more details

The other prince, whom some would call the "antichrist" will be the little horn of Daniel's visions [Daniel 7:7-25; 8:9-25; 11:36-45] .... the "Assyrian" of Micah 5:5-6]

This one will be a Muslim Caliph who will arise in northwestern Mesopotamia [Syria/Iraq today] 

Edited by Daniel 11:36