IGNORED

What is applicable to us today , that was not in the past ?

SINNERSAVED

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

You live by God's law or God's grace. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

I am trying to bring up that the whole bible is important and our learning only increases, as we study and place the word of truth and God, in our every day lives,...

After we have recognized the difference between the Old and New Covenants, we are told that (1) the things which were written aforetime [in the past] were written for our learning and (2) ALL Scripture is profitable for the man of God.  So there is no question whatsover that every Christian must know what the Bible teaches from Genesis to Revelation.

Guest shiloh357

I think the entire OT is relevant to the NT Christian, but it is not entirely applicable.   It is relevant in that we can still glean biblical/spiritual truth.  The OT teaches about Jesus and so it is entirely relevant.  But that does not mean we should see it as entirely applicable.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, Littlelambseativy said:

The trials of today are nothing compared to what will be in the Tribulation or Wrath of God, when you cannot buy or sell to feed your self or your family without the mark.the hand of God will be completely removed and weather, storms, growing seasons, etc will have changed as will the anger and hostility of man to man...lawlessness like we have not seen. I do not even want to imagine what times will be like.

With regard to covenants, Jesus came and fullfilled the old covenant we are under grace provided by a his sacrifice. We could never on our own live under the Moasaic laws and be worthy of heaven. That is why we needed a Saviour. 

I thought this was all answered before....am I wrong?

that may be the case here Lamb, but it isn't the case in several countries in the middle east, Africa and India.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

7 minutes ago, other one said:

that may be the case here Lamb, but it isn't the case in several countries in the middle east, Africa and India.

We might be surprised at the proper understanding of Scripture in the underdeveloped world.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, Ezra said:

We might be surprised at the proper understanding of Scripture in the underdeveloped world.

Not me

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  14

8 hours ago, AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken said:

You live by God's law or God's grace. 

which law is taken away from us, to be under grace. ? do you know that answer ? I would like you to tell me, please inlighten me,

for you think it is as simple as you stated,? I am all ears..

8 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

I think the entire OT is relevant to the NT Christian, but it is not entirely applicable.   It is relevant in that we can still glean biblical/spiritual truth.  The OT teaches about Jesus and so it is entirely relevant.  But that does not mean we should see it as entirely applicable.

if the old is not entirely applicable , then how much of it is ? I don't think that holds any water at all, this is a very general response, would you care to tell us ,?what you would keep and pick and choose, here, I think you told me the same thing, so please give me some wisdom?

8 hours ago, Ezra said:

After we have recognized the difference between the Old and New Covenants, we are told that (1) the things which were written aforetime [in the past] were written for our learning and (2) ALL Scripture is profitable for the man of God.  So there is no question whatsover that every Christian must know what the Bible teaches from Genesis to Revelation.

Yes all scripture is profitable, and made for instruction , and to know the knowledge of God, yes ? so we cannot divide the two,

all is breathed by the inspiration of God for our learning and for our path and journey in this life, for to know the laws and the instruction given to those that are His people.

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, SINNERSAVED said:

if the old is not entirely applicable , then how much of it is ? I don't think that holds any water at all, this is a very general response, would you care to tell us ,?what you would keep and pick and choose, here, I think you told me the same thing, so please give me some wisdom?

What we understand to be applicable are the moral/ethical commandments.   Those are understood as universal in application.

Interpreting the Bible means, in part, that we understand that every verse as an "address."    It's like the address on the front of an envelope.   Every envelope has two addresses.   One address shows who the letter is from and the other tells us who the letter is sent to.

The Bible is the same way.  We need to identify who is being spoken to, and who is doing the speaking.   Verses addressed to Israel should never be read as if they are addressed to the Church.   Israel is Israel.  The Church is the Church.   That line of separation cannot be blurred without creating huge theological errors.

God gave commandments and blessings to Israel that are related to earth.  They are earthly blessings.   The Church has been given it's only commandments and spiritual blessings.

Israel's blessings are conditional upon obedience.   The blessings we have in Christ are unconditional and are based on being a child of God.   Israel's blessings are national/corporate.  The Church's blessings are personal/individual.

The problems really began to mount when we start saying that the Church is bound by the commandments given to Israel because you cannot have the positive, but discard the negative.    People do it all of the time.  Charismatics claim that they believe in the promises of God, but only want the promises of blessing and not the promises of judgment for failing to obey God.

People claim universal application, that every part is still applicable, but then recoil like you did when I brought up the curses of the Old Covenant and asked you if you believed those were still applicable to.    You want to talk about commandments, but it is far more complicated than that.   You seem to not want to accept that aspect of the Old Covenant economy.