• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.67
  • Days Won:  37

2 hours ago, ayin jade said:

I had a car with a transmission that "anticipates your driving". 

I hated that car. I got rid of it within 2 months. It anticipated that I would brake on a freeway. Anticipated that I would stop on a dime. Anticipated that I would lurch through a red light. I couldnt trust that car. Since then I found out that many other drivers of that model had the same issues. No recall was ever issued. Nothing they did ever fixed the problem.

I cant trust a computer to drive. 

Which car was it?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,390
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

41 minutes ago, Vendtre said:

I would buy one tomorrow if I could.  I hate driving and I know I am guilty of being distracted way too much when I do drive.  

I have always loved to drive....   Started driving tractors and 2 ton hay trucks when I was 10 (not on the highway).

All my Career with Xerox I drove from three to six thousand miles a month....  that's 38 years worth and I loved every minute of it.  Actually I listened to the Bible for about 15 years while driving.    I had to give up commercial flying about 20 years ago because of ear problems, so we drive almost everywhere even now.....   and we travel a lot.  We've been to 48 states including Hawaii (by boat and air once) and Alaska by boat, but we drove to the west coast to catch the plane and cruise ships...

All together I logged in way  over a million and a half miles at Xerox and another quarter million on vacation and general travel.

In all that time i have never hit anything while I was awake except one dog on the interstate doing a bit over 70....    Dog came out from under a car a car length in front of me and I had only 7 milliseconds to react...    I have been run into 4 times and all 4 times when my car was not moving.

Out of about two million miles I don't think a computer could do much better, and as many that were not working properly all those miles I drove to fix...   I just don't trust them.        I would say that I have driving reflexes that most people don't have to react to things that just happen, but computers can't sort through all the things that can happen as well as a human......    

I can't disagree that some people don't pay attention, but just because they should not have a drivers license is no reason to trust your life to a computer.    And every time you set in a car your life in in danger.....   and the more complex they get the more can go wrong.

5 minutes ago, other one said:

I have always loved to drive....   Started driving tractors and 2 ton hay trucks when I was 10 (not on the highway).

All my Career with Xerox I drove from three to six thousand miles a month....  that's 38 years worth and I loved every minute of it.  Actually I listened to the Bible for about 15 years while driving.    I had to give up commercial flying about 20 years ago because of ear problems, so we drive almost everywhere even now.....   and we travel a lot.  We've been to 48 states including Hawaii (by boat and air once) and Alaska by boat, but we drove to the west coast to catch the plane and cruise ships...

All together I logged in  over a million and a half miles at Xerox and another quarter million on vacation and general travel.

In all that time i have never hit anything while I was awake...   and only twice asleep.   I have been run into 4 times and all 4 times when my car was not moving.

I don't think a computer could do much better, and as many that were not working properly all those miles I drove to fix...   I just don't trust them.        I would say that I have driving reflexes that most people don't have to react to things that just happen, but computers can't sort through all the things that can happen as well as a human......    

I can't disagree that some people don't pay attention, but just because they should not have a drivers license is no reason to trust your life to a computer.    And every time you set in a car your life in in danger.....   and the more complex they get the more can go wrong.

but computers can't sort through all the things that can happen as well as a human....

Within 10 years that probably won't be true anymore

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,390
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

6 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

In ten years I'll be nearly 80 living on a Cruise ship and it won't matter.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

11 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

Would a computer be able to take note of the herd of elk on the side of the road, knowing that they have a tendency to bolt in front of the car so it would be wise to slow down in case they do?

Would a computer know that flocks of sheep tend to flow across the road just as you approach them? 

Those are conditions I routinely encounter.

• Followers:  41
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Content Per Day:  1.62
  • Days Won:  2

The advancements in technology are great, but as for me at this point in time, I would not trust a computer to drive my car.  

Also, as Jeff pointed out, I certainly am not comfortable with the potential of it being hacked.

49 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Would a computer be able to take note of the herd of elk on the side of the road, knowing that they have a tendency to bolt in front of the car so it would be wise to slow down in case they do?

Would a computer know that flocks of sheep tend to flow across the road just as you approach them? 

Those are conditions I routinely encounter.

We are in the midst of the 2nd machine revolution -  in 10 years AI will be doing white collar jobs.   I think yes, they will be able to do exactly that.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

1 hour ago, thereselittleflower said:

We are in the midst of the 2nd machine revolution -  in 10 years AI will be doing white collar jobs.   I think yes, they will be able to do exactly that.

I disagree. While machines can do a lot, and will be able to do more, they cant do certain types of reasoning. 

1 minute ago, ayin jade said:

I disagree. While machines can do a lot, and will be able to do more, they cant do certain types of reasoning. 

Umm   Business have been told to prepare or prepare to die.

This is for real.

It's happening right now.

People in the job sector should be preparing too, for if they don't they may find they don't have a job.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,420
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  4

2 minutes ago, thereselittleflower said:

Umm   Business have been told to prepare or prepare to die.

This is for real.

It's happening right now.

People in the job sector should be preparing too, for if they don't they may find they don't have a job.

What businesses?