tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

You bring to light the point I'm trying to make. If you are feeding the man who won't work, the reality is,........you ARE NOT loving him, you are causing him to stumble.

You are right, Suzanne. A handout is never a good idea. It feeds the depraved human nature. (Why work when I can just get it for free?) People need incentives. Of course, there are those who really need something in an emergency who are more than willing to work - different situation. Like you, I'm talking about people whose only "work" is how they work the system.

My brother, while driving by a long line of people at a local church waiting for food once, (on his way to work, he owns a business) stopped and offered anyone on the line a job. Not one taker. Not one. Why should they?? They get housing for under $20.00 a month, their electric bill paid, free medical care (which is better than most private plans and covers even contact lenses now), free food with food stamps, WIC, and free food from each church in the neighborhood. And each one of these churches will stand up on Sunday morning and tell you of the "good" they are doing. ?????

I'm a little confused by your post though. You said in the first sentence of your second paragraph that these are men that your husband works with - so they are holding a job. Maybe they are saving their money from work to get a place to live - like someone else said, and getting the food that way is just a temporary solution? :taped:

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

You bring to light the point I'm trying to make. If you are feeding the man who won't work, the reality is,........you ARE NOT loving him, you are causing him to stumble.

You are right, Suzanne. A handout is never a good idea. It feeds the depraved human nature. (Why work when I can just get it for free?) People need incentives. Of course, there are those who really need something in an emergency who are more than willing to work - different situation. Like you, I'm talking about people whose only "work" is how they work the system.

My brother, while driving by a long line of people at a local church waiting for food once, (on his way to work, he owns a business) stopped and offered anyone on the line a job. Not one taker. Not one. Why should they?? They get housing for under $20.00 a month, their electric bill paid, free medical care (which is better than most private plans and covers even contact lenses now), free food with food stamps, WIC, and free food from each church in the neighborhood. And each one of these churches will stand up on Sunday morning and tell you of the "good" they are doing. ?????

I'm a little confused by your post though. You said in the first sentence of your second paragraph that these are men that your husband works with - so they are holding a job. Maybe they are saving their money from work to get a place to live - like someone else said, and getting the food that way is just a temporary solution? :taped:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, I didn't clarify to well. My husband preaches at the homeless shelter and the major truckstop outside of town. Some of these guys are crossovers, from one place to another, looking for rides or handouts, and my husband preaches to them regularly.

I really am thinking much on the phrase........"doing something because it looks right, instead of doing something because it IS right!

There's a major difference between the two concepts, that even the church needs to realize.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Oh, you mean he is working with them, as in trying to help them!

DUH to me. Sorry, had a non-brunette moment there. :taped::whistling:

:taped::taped:

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

Suzanne,

I think physically many of them are able to work, but mentally, they are lacking or they wouldn't be in the situation they are in.

Proverbs does say not to help a lazy person. It's hard to know where to draw the line. Feeding them the Word is probably the only real help we can give them, without Jesus they are hopeless and many just don't have enough self respect to do better.

Glad I'm not called to that, bless you sister.

Suzanne,

I think physically many of them are able to work, but mentally, they are lacking or they wouldn't be in the situation they are in.

Proverbs does say not to help a lazy person.  It's hard to know where to draw the line.  Feeding them the Word is probably the only real help we can give them, without Jesus they are hopeless and many just don't have enough self respect to do better.

Glad I'm not called to that, bless you sister.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay... I'm sorta new at this. I need to learn to put quotes on my replies. I would like to add something to this important topic. I have struggled with this same thought that the homeless should be able to give "something" for their food, etc. 18 years ago we adopted a child with (unknown at the time) mental problems. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Attachtment Disorder, and personality Disorder. For 18 years our home was the in constant prayer because of the behaviors these disorders caused. Our daughter WILL be homeless someday. Not because she can't work, she is capable physically and very intelligent. But because of her mentality, she won't. She would rather peel food off the street rather than lift a finger to earn it. Our jails and prisoners are filled with these people. She was raised in a Christian atmosphere but is not able to love as you or I due to the abuse in her first year of life. So, I thank God for shelter homes because I have peace of mind that our daughter will be fed and shown love. :emot-hug: How she internalizes it all is something I gave to God a long time ago. Thank you.

Becky

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Dear Bec,

Your quote:

But because of her mentality, she won't.

Still, causes me to ask, "does it negate the passage of Scripture I posted?" Do we take the Word and It's Authority and disregard it, because of the circumstances in "our own"? If it weren't your own daughter, would the passage have validity? I'm not trying to be contentious, but merely wanting to see how we tend to disregard certain passages, when maybe we shouldn't?

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

give a man a fish,

and he eats for a day..............on you..............

teach the man to fish ( should say, push the man to fish ) and he can eat for a life time on his own..........

i know of a person, that has been moving from place to place living off of other people, until he had the ultimatum thrown, forced on him, that he is to either get a job and earn his way, or he would be going to jail.

kind of funny how fast a person can find a job in a place where there are supposidly no jobs to be had...............

people will give excuses until they are called..... excuses as to why they are not doing something ( such as work ) this young man was called to the carpet as to why he didnt have a job, he said there were none, then when it was brought up as that he had two employeers call back looking for him, why didnt he return their call and get a job, then he had another excuse, and then when it was brought up that some one had actually got him a job and even provided the required clothing, and he turned it down, he came up with another excuse and well, after about 30 minutes of giving excuses, he ran out of excuses. then he was told that he was going to have to grow up and stand up and take responsibility for his own actions, and inactions, and that he was not going to be able to pass the buck anymore, or give anymore excuses, and get a job. funny, 30 minutes later, he is working....

I do know of poeople that are truely homeless, theey are working sometimes two jobs and unable to make ends meet. some of this is due to mis-management of their income, very little is due to prices.......

this area has programs for those in need, they are the Churches.... they have groupled together, and under one organization, they will aid those in need.

this keeps a person from going from one place to another reeping benefits from 10 differant churches, being they all fall under the Ministorial Alliance. if a person wants to scam, they have to go to some other place then in this area, for this area registers thm as having been helpped and what day...... that way it shows up if they want to get help with another group.

the Bible says we are not to be slackards, not to be lazy,

even some of the appostles spoke of working for their own room and board....

mike