• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Hi all,

I am one of the administrators on this forum, and to let you know, one of the time consuming issues we administrator often have to deal with, is the way some of our members treat other members in the threads (discussion topics) here.

Most of the people here, would claim to be disciples of Christ. A Christian disciple is a student, one who learns from and follows the teachings of the Master.

The Sermon on the mount, is widely recognized as a great oratory, full of wisdom and high ideals, even by those who do not claim to be Christians. I have pulled a few snippets from that speech (Matt 5, if it has been a long time since you have read it) which is where I got the idea to title this thread "Jesus Greatest Hits".

Some of our posters (I am not excluding myself) would seem to have forgotten some of the things in that sermon, at least judging by our actions toward one another.

In John 13, Jesus said:

"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

What do you think, can the world tell we are disciples by reading the threads here? I will let you be the judge of that.

Snippets from Matt 5

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

“Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

“Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 

“Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

“But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

“But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.  

“But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 

Now, I would like to point out a few things. Jesus here was at times, addressing relationships between real enemies, not differences between brethren who are commanded to love one another AND enemies. Considering the nature of this forum, where we are only exchanging words with each other, these should not be hard instructions to follow.

Another thing I would like to point out, is that most of these instruction are not about how to initially treat another, but how to react to others. In other words, the problem is not so much put on the shoulders of those who are attacking, but on the person under attack, to 'suck it up'.

Peter must have been listening as in one of his epistles he said:

"To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.

So, I have a question:

Are we up to it?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Thank you mega. I have often asked myself and others why we can't speak the truth in love? Why must we be so disrespectful of one another? I think we all need to really take this message to heart (myself included) and respect and love one another.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you for posting this. May we all work to show our love for others, as Jesus did. We don't always have to agree, but we should do so with class and respect. Very nice post!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven

2 hours ago, *Deidre* said:

Thank you for posting this. May we all work to show our love for others, as Jesus did. We don't always have to agree, but we should do so with class and respect. Very nice post!

Thank you for your kind reply *Deidre*

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

So, I have a question:

Are we up to it?

Yes. I felt that that was the main thing hindering my prayers so I confessed it and made a vow in my heart to suck it up ( as you said.) When the Commanding Officer ( or C O ) gives an order we are faithful in obedience and do as we are asked without complaining or asking why. I believe this is important if we are to move forward and make any leeway in this present darkness we live in. 

6 minutes ago, Catsmeow said:

When the Commanding Officer ( or C O ) gives an order we are faithful in obedience and do as we are asked without complaining or asking why.

I think that is a great attitude and way to look at it!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

12 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Another thing I would like to point out, is that most of these instruction are not about how to initially treat another, but how to react to others. In other words, the problem is not so much put on the shoulders of those who are attacking, but on the person under attack, to 'suck it up'.

Interesting, a little different perspective than I usually think about.  It's true for me, I find I dislike my reactions.  It takes so much less time to put the blame on the attacker than it takes to concentrate on my own reactions.  

13 minutes ago, hmbld said:

It's true for me, I find I dislike my reactions.  It takes so much less time to put the blame on the attacker than it takes to concentrate on my own reactions.  

Perhaps the reason Jesus seem to place the focus on how we react to others, is because we have no control over how other behave, but self-control is part of the nine-fold fruit of the Spirit, and living Spirit controlled lives is our calling.

Maybe it would help us here on the forums, if before we click the Submit Reply button, we would take the time to read our own post, and ask ourselves if our reply looks like that of a Spirit controlled person, or one controlled by the flesh!

• Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:emot-heartbeat:

Amen~!

Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips. Psalms 141:3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

Amen,  The Father doesn't ask us to obey sometimes, to follow Jesus when we want to, but ALL THE TIME.

7 hours ago, Catsmeow said:

Yes........ When the Commanding Officer ( or C O ) gives an order we are faithful in obedience and do as we are asked without complaining or asking why.

I believe this is important if we are to move forward and make any leeway in this present darkness we live in. 

He doesn't brook the assembly of HIS people dabbling in other religions, idols, greed, politics, and so forth..... HE saves us from all that.

PURITY.

IN JESUS.