• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Ryan said:

Well, this isn't a way to carry on an adult discussion.

Surely we can rise above the level of a toddler's retort in a playground and instead engage the substance of each others arguments ?

Andrew

What would you like me to say? Do you know how Jesus reacted when confronted by the self righteous religious leaders of His day? Those who made out they believed but yet denied Him to His face? I spend more hours om my days than most spreading the good news of the gospel and as I showed, that's the true reaction I have received from many non-believers. These people are commonly known as athiests. There no dressing it up?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

18 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

What would you like me to say? Do you know how Jesus reacted when confronted by the self righteous religious leaders of His day? Those who made out they believed but yet denied Him to His face? I spend more hours om my days than most spreading the good news of the gospel and as I showed, that's the true reaction I have received from many non-believers. These people are commonly known as athiests. There no dressing it up?

What I'd like you to say is what you think of my reasoning.

Languages are dynamic structures. There are many words that have fallen  into desuetude because we now think of them as unuseful or derogatory.

The word "atheist" has both a pejorative connotation and, as I tried to explain in my post, is a misnomer.

Perhaps this will make the proverbial penny drop: mankind has worshiped thousands upon thousands of deities ever since we've being walking this Earth.

Presumably, you think all these benighted people were in error. For all intents and purposes you are, as am I, an atheist when it comes to this long list of supernatural entities.

So why single people out who aren't convinced by the contents of the Bible or the utterances of its devotees  ?

It makes no sense to me.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Ryan

1 hour ago, Andrew Ryan said:

What I'd like you to say is what you think of my reasoning.

Languages are dynamic structures. There are many words that have fallen  into desuetude because we now think of them as unuseful or derogatory.

The word "atheist" has both a pejorative connotation and, as I tried to explain in my post, is a misnomer.

Perhaps this will make the proverbial penny drop: mankind has worshiped thousands upon thousands of deities ever since we've being walking this Earth.

Presumably, you think all these benighted people were in error. For all intents and purposes you are, as am I, an atheist when it comes to this long list of supernatural entities.

So why single people out who aren't convinced by the contents of the Bible or the utterances of its devotees  ?

It makes no sense to me.

Andrew

What do I think of your reasoning? I think you are trying to soften something that is rock solid and its impossible to change to true meaning of some words. A spade is a spade in any bodies language.

You wrote;

"Perhaps this will make the proverbial penny drop: mankind has worshiped thousands upon thousands of deities ever since we've being walking this Earth."[/quote]

That's right they have, thing is they believe in a god, even if it is a false god, an idol or what ever they say is their god.

The people I have quoted regarding their replies to me when I mention God or the Gospel, say they don't believe in any god, they don't believe, in their own words, any mythical being and call it all a load of rubbish.

These people are atheist's.    What would you call them?

Edited by HAZARD

4 hours ago, Andrew Ryan said:

Well, this isn't a way to carry on an adult discussion.

Surely we can rise above the level of a toddler's retort in a playground and instead engage the substance of each others arguments ?

Andrew

Would you accuse Jesus of being a toddler in a playground when dealing with those who angered Him?

I'm happy to engage in any ones arguments, but it also helps if you keep your veiled insults to yourself.

And don't be too sensitive with those who totally disrespect God. God will not be mocked, Gal. 6:7, Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

I was talking with a workmate about God one day, over lunch when another overheard what we were talking about. He interrupted our conversation and said, "God is only in your imagination, while using curse words. He then mocked God by laughingly calling our whilst looking up, "If you exist God, strike me dead right here and now, well come on, do it, right now?"

Naturally God will judge this man one day, but because God did nothing at that moment, the man laughed his head off repeating, God does not exist and you guys are crazy for believing He does!"

That is what people call an atheist. I'm sure that man thinks about what he said sometimes, I hope he does and repents before he dies because then it will be too late for him.

And remember, Jesus was never easy, even on those who did believe in God the Father, at least. Here is some of the things Jesus did and said to them. Jesus was so upset with the money lenders He took the time to plait a whip and drove them out of the temple. One does not plait a whip in a few seconds, Jesus was angry and determined.

John 2: 13, And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,

14, And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:

15, And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

Jesus accused them of all sorts of sins and told them so openly!

Matt. 23:4  For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

Matt 23:13,  But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

14, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

15, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

16, Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

17, Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?

Matt. 23, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

24, Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

25, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

Matt. 23: 27, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

28, Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

29, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,

Edited by HAZARD

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

15 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

Would you accuse Jesus of being a toddler in a playground when dealing with those who angered Him?

I'm happy to engage in any ones arguments, but it also helps if you keep your veiled insults to yourself.

And don't be too sensitive with those who totally disrespect God. God will not be mocked, Gal. 6:7, Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

I was talking with a workmate about God one day, over lunch when another overheard what we were talking about. He interrupted our conversation and said, "God is only in your imagination, while using curse words. He then mocked God by laughingly calling our whilst looking up, "If you exist God, strike me dead right here and now, well come on, do it, right now?"

Naturally God will judge this man one day, but because God did nothing at that moment, the man laughed his head off repeating, God does not exist and you guys are crazy for believing He does!"

That is what people call an atheist. I'm sure that man thinks about what he said sometimes, I hope he does and repents before he dies because then it will be too late for him.

And remember, Jesus was never easy, even on those who did believe in God the Father, at least. Here is some of the things Jesus did and said to them. Jesus was so upset with the money lenders He took the time to plait a whip and drove them out of the temple. One does not plait a whip in a few seconds, Jesus was angry and determined.

John 2: 13, And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,

14, And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:

15, And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

Jesus accused them of all sorts of sins and told them so openly!

Matt. 23:4  For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

Matt 23:13,  But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

14, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

15, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

16, Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!

17, Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?

Matt. 23, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

24, Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

25, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

Matt. 23: 27, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

28, Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

29, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,

Hi Hazard

I think the scourge would have been easily assembled from debris lying around, and probably used to remove the animals as much as anything..

God bless

16 minutes ago, Snow said:

Hi Hazard

I think the scourge would have been easily assembled from debris lying around, and probably used to remove the animals as much as anything..

God bless

Hi Snow.

He certainly didn't pussy-foot around with them did He? I assume He plaited a whip from the rush-ropes laying around, and that took some time, ie, thiking about what He was going to do! :thumbsup:

V. 5, And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

Edited by HAZARD

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

3 hours ago, HAZARD said:

Hi again Hazard

I grew up in Australia and understand what you are saying only too well,  what with the "tough Aussie" attitude etc...I decided a while ago that when people take the Lords Name and use it as a curse word, i turn it around and Praise His Beautiful Name, so now it is an opening to proclaim Jesus..Usually silence ensues..It is sad that now it is possible to be stabbed for making such proclamations by jihadists or whatever. A couple of days ago i was waiting in line at the post office and it was taking such a long time, then a lady seemed lost so i helped direct her and she used The Lords name as a curse, my reaction was "Praise Jesus, Glory  Hallelujah!" etc etc... but then i wondered if Maybe it's time to be more cautious, or maybe i was waiting for her so she could be convicted in her heart...But 'This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine'..Glory to God

Some thoughts I considered. It is God who draws us to Himself through Christ by His Holy Spirit. We have no way apart from Christ to come to Him. (John 6:44) We are born spiritually dead. That is, we are flat lined. We are not a little bit dead, or almost dead. We are dead! That means that something or someone must quicken us and make us alive. We must be regenerated---born again. We have in our natural selves no anility to desire God. If you blind-folded a man and put him into a room filled with gold, he could not see it; so while God is all around us, in nature, and in the heavens, a man will not see Him if his heart is blind-folded. If it were up to human beings to decide when they should know God, it would not be God who determined it---but instead by our own works and desires. But God, by His mercy, determines in His sovereignty, before the foundations of the world, who belongs to Him.