Is it good to pester God?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

There were once two men in the temple.   Both "pestering" God.

One of them , God accepted.

One of them,  went away still covered in sin.

Same thing happens today, all over the world.

A few, God accepts.

Many go away still guilty of sin.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:53 AM, spiderman1917 said:

Luke 18:1-8New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Persistent Widow

18 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’

“For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”

And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?""

Okay...so He says "will he (God) Keep putting them off" as if to indicate that God initially was putting them off.  The widow literally got what she wanted because she bothered/troubled/annoyed/pestered the judge.  She doesn't seem very respectful or polite about it.  The polite thing to do would have been, well the answer is NO, so I better quit troubling the judge.

Instead she got what she wanted by being loud, obnoxious, exhausting, annoying, and refusing to respect or settle for his decision.  He even felt threatened by her.

However, to pester God does not mean to blaspheme obviously.  I understand the difference between the two, but there is a time to contend with God:  

Genesis 32:24-28.

"What is your name?" "Jacob," he answered.

Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have fought with God and with men and have overcome"

He wrestled with God, physically,  

Gen. 32:24-38, And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

25, And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.

26, And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

27, And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.

28, And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

Gen. 32:30, And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God and my life is preserved. 

Just saying. Here's another man who not only saw God face to face, with his own eyes, he wrestled with him and lived. 

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/13/1995

I honesly cant' answer your question sorry and I need to pray, but I hope that this can help.

MATTHEW 6:5

5: And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Pray in private, don't pray to show off, those who pray to show off have their reward.

6: But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

God rewards good works done in secret as only he can see them, good works done with the purpose of having others see are rewarded by praise by men, good works that only God can see are rewarded with heavenly rewrards by God

7: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Asking once is sufficient, vain repetitions not only prove a lack of faith, but that is how it was done with the unjust, as the parable of the persistent widow proves.

8: Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

God knows what you are in need of before you ask, but you must still ask to prove you are trusting in him, remember, "Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not."  and sometimes "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." (James 4:2-3)

God Bless

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:08 PM, spiderman1917 said:

I think it is a compliment to ask great things of God even if they aren't his will , because it shows we believe he can do it , and we are not lukewarm but persistent. 

Also, it is Biblical that an intercessor can get God to change His mind :D

This is poor reasoning for God does not 'against His will' ... our prayers must be formed in respect to His Will or we are
ignoring an intimate part of fellowship with Him!  Love, Steven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2

24 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

This is poor reasoning for God does not 'against His will' ... our prayers must be formed in respect to His Will or we are
ignoring an intimate part of fellowship with Him!  Love, Steven

No,  because we don't know it is against his will.... For instance,  if a child gets raped and killed, that might have been God's will...  

If it was God's will that his own son (Jesus) be tortured,  humiliated,  and executed,  it would be a bit of a stretch to assume he doesn't will such things to happen to his other children as well (just look at the fate of the early Christians ).

So,  your prayer for your son or daughter may be that they become a missionary,  have a big happy family,  do well in school,  stay safe and healthy etc. ,  but God may will they get murdered in high school.   

However,  asking God for great things (even if he won't grant them ) is still a compliment because it shows that you trust he can easily do anything...

And Ya never know,  he just might :)

Edited by spiderman1917

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Is it good to pester God......

We are to be in constant communication with him, so I would be hesitant to say no....   If that's whats on your mind, there is nothing wrong with discussing it with him every day all day long until he gives you an answer to what's bothering you.

I will say that most of the time in my personal walk with him there are times when he just doesn't answer and I believe in those times it is ok to pester him about it......     but once he has made it clear you should accept it and get on with life.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

41 minutes ago, spiderman1917 said:

No,  because we don't know it is against his will.... For instance,  if a child gets raped and killed, that might have been God's will...  

If it was God's will that his own son (Jesus) be tortured,  humiliated,  and executed,  it would be a bit of a stretch to assume he doesn't will such things to happen to his other children as well (just look at the fate of the early Christians ).

So,  your prayer for your son or daughter may be that they become a missionary,  have a big happy family,  do well in school,  stay safe and healthy etc. ,  but God may will they get murdered in high school.   

However,  asking God for great things (even if he won't grant them ) is still a compliment because it shows that you trust he can easily do anything...

And Ya never know,  he just might :)

God has never had any part with sin and never will but to put it in His eternal wrath... you are without
excuse in not knowing God's Will for He has written it and supplied The Teacher- so that He says:

2 Tim 2:15

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
KJV

2 Tim 3:16-17

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

God is not mocked and He 'IS' Who His Word says He 'IS'...  your failure to understand that this economy is not
one God chose for us but we chose... all of us! And now to blame Him for what He warned not to do is the
unrighteousness of this place coming against a Holy and Righteous Lord... the spirit your listening to is the
spirit of antichrist!  Love, Steven

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, spiderman1917 said:

just remember that God instructed us to pray that his will be done on earth as it is in heaven.....   that does not mean that his will is always done here on earth..    I personally don't think it will be until Jesus returns.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

God has never had any part with sin and never will but to put it in His eternal wrath... you are without
excuse in not knowing God's Will for He has written it and supplied The Teacher- so that He says:

2 Tim 2:15

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
KJV

2 Tim 3:16-17

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

God is not mocked and He 'IS' Who His Word says He 'IS'...  your failure to understand that this economy is not
one God chose for us but we chose... all of us! And now to blame Him for what He warned not to do is the
unrighteousness of this place coming against a Holy and Righteous Lord... the spirit your listening to is the
spirit of antichrist!  Love, Steven

Nope... When it was time for Jesus to be stripped down naked before everyone ,  mocked,  spit upon,  humiliated,  crowned with thorns,  and executed, he said " now has the time come for the son of man to BE GLORIFIED!" 

God lives in your heart... Ask him if it was his will that his son be brutally tortured and executed (glorified ).  What is the answer.   If the answer is "yes ", that isn't the voice of the Antichrist :-)  

It was God's will that JOb's family and possessions were destroyed and that he was tormented physically,  emotionally,  and spiritually for a time. 

The Devil has to get God's permission to do his work. 

What God permits is still his will.   If you see a poisonous serpent going toward your child and you could easily stop it but don't,  it was your will the child got bit.

You knew the serpent's intention.  If you didn't want it,  it would not have happened.  

True,  you weren't the one who bit the child , but you were the adult whose vocation it was to father and protect the clueless youngster...so,  you let the serpent reach the child and inject it with it's venom,  knowing in advance it would happen,  therefore you willed it... As I understand the definition,  giving  permission is the same thing as "will"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

God never considers our prayers to Him as "pestering". He wants us to take everything in our lives to Him in prayer.