IGNORED

Is it important for a Christian to have high self-esteem?

everseeking

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

thanks eveyone

much appreciated

maybe ezra's answer is the best .....by a nose  :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

Ezra has a great answer.

We should never confuse a healthy self-esteem with a perverted arrogance.  Some Christians do.  I have talked to several Christians before that believe that self-esteem is the GREAT SIN of the 21st century.

I taught many children over my 32 years in the classroom who were broken ...... broken and wretched messes.  These children were raised in horrible homes, unattended, and told that they were worthless and served no purpose.

These children won't try out for any sports or club offices.  They won't raise their hands to answer questions.  They won't look you in the eye.  And that always made me fighting mad and in my heart, I turned into the Tasmanian Devil whenever I thought of their parents who basically are mental and emotional abusers.

http://s3.images.www.tvn.hu/2007/04/22/16/52/www.tvn.hu_c96591ce189d2d106a74a546b2b40d7b_k.gif

It's very, very important to build a healthy self-worth and confidence in children.  Our confidence comes through Christ and our worth comes in knowing we are fearfully and wonderfully made.  A proper self-esteem leads to people who will try new challenges, look towards the needs and good of others, ask questions - hard questions, and leave their part of the world a better place.

Edited by Jayne

I guess anyone who has been a teacher, Jayne, knows the importance of a healthy self-esteem in their students.

I like the comment "we start to see ourselves as God sees us". That really resonates with me. Thanks for that.

55 minutes ago, Ezra said:

reserved a mansion for each one of us in the New Jerusalem, along with an eternal inheritance that can never fade away.  In view of all this, a Christian cannot have low self-esteem, and neither should he or she think they are anything more than servants of God and Christ, thus servants of others (in a positive sense).

I haven't reached that stage, only recently starting my faith journey.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

19 hours ago, everseeking said:

hopefully this is a good question

It's an important question. I think it's important for Christian to have high Christ esteem, and esteem others higher than themselves. When you focus on that any type of self esteem, be it low or high, kind of becomes irrelevant.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 5/21/2016 at 11:52 AM, shiloh357 said:

Self-esteem is really just self-love.  The Bible does not command us to love ourselves.

I think we at least should like ourselves.  However that can get mixed up with loving ourselves to the point of being prideful.  That we have to watch out for.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:emot-heartbeat:

High Esteem

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Philippians 2:3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,436
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

On 5/21/2016 at 10:23 PM, kwikphilly said:

Blessings everseeking

I do think it is a good question & I also think there is a HUGE difference between a person having good self-esteem  & high self esteem,,,,,,,as Willa has noted

The "warped self esteem" can be both "too much" or "too little" and neither is present in the New Creature that walks in Spirit & in Truth,,,,,,,,we should rejoice & be filled with Joy & Gratitude because of who we ARE in Christ & because of what we are by His Finished Work on the Cross,,,,,,,,in the Eyes of God we are Worthy & Good(blameless,spotless,without stain,blemish, spot or wrinkle) not by our doing but because of God Grace,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A Christian that thinks highly of himself is not forsaking "self" which is prideful,the person who thinks little of himself is also not forsaking "self" & he too,is prideful because he has not fully submitted to Christ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there is a good & healthy "self -esteem" that has balance,,,,,,,I know who I am in Christ because I ESTEEM "Jesus" WHO abides in me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

With love-in Christ,Kwik

I agree a 100% with philly here

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Every life is precious because it is created by God. I never have enough of admiring my cats - they are wonderful creatures! Human life is even more precious because we were made in the image and likeness of God. Paul said: "Consider others better than yourself", but this doesn't mean we must have low self esteem. Remember Jesus' words: "Love your neighbor AS yourself ". He didn't say: "MORE than yourself".