• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

33 minutes ago, Ezra said:

I'm not saying the article is at fault. What I'm saying is you can't promote unity while holding to beliefs which divide.

I think it is safe to post articles within the Christian belief that are not false doctrine and does not allow the person to stumble and fall. I think that Calvinism is something that is safely debatable. When we divide is when a person gets very angry and gets verbal abusive because they want everyone to take their view. That their view is the only view.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

20 minutes ago, Ezra said:

I'm not saying the article is at fault. What I'm saying is you can't promote unity while holding to beliefs which divide.

Now I understand what you are talking about

The Christians in the N.T. were already divided .

John 13:34-35

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

We can only do this through the Holy Spirit.

Colossians 3:14

14 Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of  unity.:emot-heartbeat::emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

How do you strive for unity of the faith when Five Point Calvinists obstruct it? If they would abandon their man-made doctrines, that might be a step in the right direction. 

But that is just your opinion, one many do not share. People like myself, see 5 pointism as solidly Biblical, you just happen to disagree. One has to wonder, what chance there is for unity, when a person has to bring a controversial and somewhat divisive comment, not related at all to the topic, into the topic. Pity!

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

2 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

One has to wonder, what chance there is for unity, when a person has to bring a controversial and somewhat divisive comment, not related at all to the topic, into the topic. Pity!

Well, Omegaman, it is related to the topic, which is about Christian unity. When Christians are divided over doctrine, it becomes mere platitudes to talk about unity. Just as Reformed Christians cannot have unity with Catholics, non-Calvinists cannot have unity with Calvinists.  And so it goes.

I think that a Catholic and a nonCatholic can have unity with each other. They just have to respect each others differences in what they believe. I also think that a Calvinist and a non Calvinist can have a healthy debate. It just can not become heated and angry. We can not point fingers at each other. We can each post what our beliefs are without someone saying that they are a heathen because of their belief. That is between them and God. We all have our own views. Where my boundaries are is when someone is posting very false doctrine. We then have to tell them what they are posting in not Biblical.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

21 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Well, Omegaman, it is related to the topic, which is about Christian unity. When Christians are divided over doctrine, it becomes mere platitudes to talk about unity. Just as Reformed Christians cannot have unity with Catholics, non-Calvinists cannot have unity with Calvinists.  And so it goes.

Let's ponder that a little. Jesus prayed:

“The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

What do you suppose Jesus is talking about there? Is that just some pipe dream, that can never be true, is Jesus wasting His breath? I am inclined, at first glance, to think that this is speaking of the future, when we are glorified. However, I back off of that a bit, when I see that this is so "the world may know". Tends to make me think that some of this unity we believers are to have, which is comparable to the unity between the Father and the Son, is to be on display to the world, a witness to them, am I totally of base there?

Personally, I do not feel or think, that I am dis-unified, just because I disagree with you about reformed theology and eschatology. That is more important than if I like kethcup while you prefer mustard, but it is not cause to break union. My wife and I were one, we were in union, yet we did not agree on everything. However, we looked in the same direction, had similar goals, held the same things to be sacred and important.

I like to think, that you and I, as much as we disagree about some thing, have unity, because we both hold that loving God is most important. That loving and serving others is next. That reaching a dying world for Jesus, is a very high calling to which we are committed. 

Before I became a post-tribber, I had fellowship with my brothers in Christ, who were pre-trib like I was. When I became a postie, that did not change. Before I was a 'Calvinist', I thought Calvinists were a bit off there spiritual rockers, but they were still my brothers. As a Calvinist, they are still my brothers, as are non-Calvinists.

As long as they are part of the body, of which Christ is the head, I am in unity with them, because I am not leading, I am following the same path, the same shepherd that they are. We are united! Some, perhaps, do not feel or recognize that unity, because they cannot get past there attachment to their pet doctrines long enough to embrace that unity. Again, I say: "Pity"

You know.....we can extend each other a little grace.

4967eed687197f7a404c4c46d5c81e90.jpg

1 Corinthians 1:10-17 

I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, ..

That's just it, I feel unity with all my brothers and sisters who are in Christ,no matter which doctrine they believe as long as we share the same gospel message~~~.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

1 Peter 4:8

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,186
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

9 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Let's ponder that a little. Jesus prayed:

“The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.

What do you suppose Jesus is talking about there? Is that just some pipe dream, that can never be true, is Jesus wasting His breath? I am inclined, at first glance, to think that this is speaking of the future, when we are glorified. However, I back off of that a bit, when I see that this is so "the world may know". Tends to make me think that some of this unity we believers are to have, which is comparable to the unity between the Father and the Son, is to be on display to the world, a witness to them, am I totally of base there?

Personally, I do not feel or think, that I am dis-unified, just because I disagree with you about reformed theology and eschatology. That is more important than if I like kethcup while you prefer mustard, but it is not cause to break union. My wife and I were one, we were in union, yet we did not agree on everything. However, we looked in the same direction, had similar goals, held the same things to be sacred and important.

I like to think, that you and I, as much as we disagree about some thing, have unity, because we both hold that loving God is most important. That loving and serving others is next. That reaching a dying world for Jesus, is a very high calling to which we are committed. 

Before I became a post-tribber, I had fellowship with my brothers in Christ, who were pre-trib like I was. When I became a postie, that did not change. Before I was a 'Calvinist', I thought Calvinists were a bit off there spiritual rockers, but they were still my brothers. As a Calvinist, they are still my brothers, as are non-Calvinists.

As long as they are part of the body, of which Christ is the head, I am in unity with them, because I am not leading, I am following the same path, the same shepherd that they are. We are united! Some, perhaps, do not feel or recognize that unity, because they cannot get past there attachment to their pet doctrines long enough to embrace that unity. Again, I say: "Pity"

Basic bottom line in unity comes from adherence to God's Word:

Mt 22:37-40

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
KJV
As I seek the first the second becomes like unto the first ... thus I am not required to be in union with what the Bible does not teach
as my love for the first commandment is to be fulfilled or worked out in the second commandment! To over look error in the hermeneutic
of God's Word is to fall short of the first commandment as this instruction set is applied here

2 Ti 3:15-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV 
and the how to do so

2 Ti 2:13-19

13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;

18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity
KJV
Love, Steven