• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

I find myself being more like Humpty Dumpty on this one.  A fall either way has potential damage.  In the OP's exact example, I do not see any particular harm done.  I suppose if folks were to look at the Pastor's facial expression immediately after this was said, then everyone concerned would have a great idea of how it was received.  Plus . . . . .  perhaps that fellow has had a personal encounter with the drug problem in the town. 

Now the other times that he has blurted out agreement phrases could cause my egg shell to become cracked.  I would not have a problem approaching the fellow myself and ask him why he determines it necessary to fortify the statement from the Pastor.  It would be a good time to inject that he should not overlook the possibility that if just 1 in 10 Church goers had a negative view on it, the that would make an audience of 100 contain 10 members that thought it offensive.

There have been several times when I "almost" at least raised my hand in Church, but just let it go.  Whenever that happens, my wife and I have a great conversation about it (the contested sermon subject) on the way home, so all is not lost by my left hand holding my right hand down!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

16 hours ago, Ezra said:
On 7/13/2016 at 1:05 AM, post said:

a single person giving a sermon where everyone else is expected not to have any input or anything to share, but to sit primly with their hands folded, doesn't mean this is the Biblical model or what the Spirit intends.

If you are looking for a *biblical* model Paul preached for possibly 6-8 hours once without interruption (Acts 20:6-12).  So did Jesus, Peter, Stephen, and others.  So you are mistaken about the biblical model.

Ezra, you are mentioning cases that do not fit the norm of regular church fellowships. The cases you mention are those of evangelism, where ministers of the Gospel travel from place to place. They do not remain in one congregation and preach every week. When someone comes with a special message, they should certainly be given full attention, as befits their special ministry. But in regular fellowship meetings, Paul made clear that everyone should be given opportunity to share, and that no single person should dominate the meeting.

In the case of Jesus, even during his ministry he sat in the general seating area when he attended synagogue, just like any other Jew of the congregation. And just like any Jew of the congregation, he was given opportunity to read Scripture and speak his piece. Thus he led us by example.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/10/2016 at 5:53 PM, LadyKay said:

There is this guy at my church who interrupts the pastor's sermon. Not in a bad way. I mean he isn't disagreeing with the pastor. He just adds to what the pastor is saying. For example the pastor was being very serious as he was preaching a very serious sermon. The pastor was telling us that we should be praying for our town. That our town was in need of prayer. Just then this guy yells out  saying "If you don't think this town needs prayer just look at the drug problem that we have!"  It's like that. Like he is adding his own words to the pastor's sermon. It is a bit distracting and I just don't think he should be interrupting the pastor's sermon. There is a time when it is acceptable to speak up and to share your thoughts about things. Like in testimonies or prayer request. But when I am at church I want to hear what the pastor has to say, not what this guy has to say. Well anyway for the most part I haven't thought too much about it when it happens. But today it kind of bugged me when it happen as I was really trying to pay attention to what the pastor was saying when this guy yelled out adding his own thoughts to the pastor's sermon. As if he was trying to explain what the pastor was saying to the rest of us.  I thought that he really shouldn't be interrupting the pastor. But then I can be a bit critical at times so perhaps that is what I am being. Critical. But what do you all think of this? Would you be a bit annoyed by it?  Or am I just being critical?

No, you are not being critical.  This surely sounds distracting and annoying.  If it were me I would possibly approach the guy and tell him how it affects you or else talk to the pastor and tell him how it is affecting you.  There are likely others who find this a problem.  Even if nothing is done at least someone will know that it does bother somebody.  If you do nothing..likely nothing will happen to change it unless someone else decides to do something.  Pray first to find the right timing and the right words speaking the truth in love.  

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

21 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Qnts

I certainly understand where you are coming from,I attend a VERY vocal church,I think this is a little more than that from what I understand,perhaps I am not reading correctly,,,,,,,Lady said it is almost like :"dialogue",adding in his interpretations of what the Pastor is saying,continuously,,,,,,,,that seems a lot more than vocal,it sounds extremely annoying & distracting to everyone..............maybe I've misread what Lady said,I'm sure she will let us know-lol         

Missed you,I have not seen you lately,,,,good to see you again                                    With love-in Christ,Kwik

We are reading it very differently. I see what is occurring as nothing different then what occurs in vocal churches. No, attempted dialogue but just a one line spoken outloud to affirm what the pastor is saying, which I have seen in televised church services of this type.

In a church which does not typically have this interaction with the Pastors sermon, it sounds very different.

But the only way to know for sure would be to non-confrontationally, talk to the person, assuming the best and just to understand them and get to know them a little bit better. There is no reason to tell the person they are wrong, or correct them. They may be doing what is right and proper in churches they have attended.  

In my view, it is best to start with the view that the person is not doing something wrong, or offensive. The Church is made up of people from different church cultures who gather together in a potentially wide diversity.   

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

On 7/13/2016 at 2:46 PM, Ezra said:

If you are looking for a *biblical* model Paul preached for possibly 6-8 hours once without interruption (Acts 20:6-12).  So did Jesus, Peter, Stephen, and others.  So you are mistaken about the biblical model.

When a man is proclaiming the Gospel or teaching Bible truth, the least he can expect is no

AMEN! Preach it brother! 

interruptions. Questions can certainly be asked later, and an "Amen" or two along the way should be acceptable. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

We are reading it very differently.                                                                                           posted by Qnts2

Apparently  so,that is why I mentioned that I could be misunderstanding what Lady Kay is describing which sounds boisterous & inappropriate to me PLUS I even added that I personally  attend a VERY vocal church.What e5lse can I say?I already said I think it best if LadyKay give us a better understanding,,,,,one of us is clearly not understanding the situation

If the fellow is out of order then he must be reminded that all things must be done decently & orderly,if not then Lady may need t o re-direct her focus,,,,,she is the only one that can tell us                    

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/07/2016 at 9:53 PM, LadyKay said:

There is this guy at my church who interrupts the pastor's sermon. Not in a bad way. I mean he isn't disagreeing with the pastor. He just adds to what the pastor is saying. For example the pastor was being very serious as he was preaching a very serious sermon. The pastor was telling us that we should be praying for our town. That our town was in need of prayer. Just then this guy yells out  saying "If you don't think this town needs prayer just look at the drug problem that we have!"  It's like that. Like he is adding his own words to the pastor's sermon. It is a bit distracting and I just don't think he should be interrupting the pastor's sermon. There is a time when it is acceptable to speak up and to share your thoughts about things. Like in testimonies or prayer request. But when I am at church I want to hear what the pastor has to say, not what this guy has to say. Well anyway for the most part I haven't thought too much about it when it happens. But today it kind of bugged me when it happen as I was really trying to pay attention to what the pastor was saying when this guy yelled out adding his own thoughts to the pastor's sermon. As if he was trying to explain what the pastor was saying to the rest of us.  I thought that he really shouldn't be interrupting the pastor. But then I can be a bit critical at times so perhaps that is what I am being. Critical. But what do you all think of this? Would you be a bit annoyed by it?  Or am I just being critical?

In a sermon, a Spirit led preacher is God's spokesperson because God tells him what is to be preached. In this case I think the preacher should never be interrupted. If, however, the preacher is obviously not being guided by the Holy Spirit then it depends on the local church customs and manners. In all my years as a believer I've never seen anyone interrupt a preacher.

Edited by Marcelo Brüderlein

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

1 hour ago, Qnts2 said:

Church is made up of people from different church cultures who gather together in a potentially wide diversity.   

1 hour ago, Qnts2 said:

We are reading it very differently. I see what is occurring as nothing different then what occurs in vocal churches. No, attempted dialogue but just a one line spoken outloud to affirm what the pastor is saying, which I have seen in televised church services of this type.

you know Qnts2, that's a really good point you're making here. thanks!

i'm going to 'hazard a guess' that LadyKay and all the people who are aghast, especially those who are suggesting that this man is brain damaged or using drugs, are white, and that most of their friends are also white. 

i'm also going to go so far to say that if you think that's a racist comment, i'm going to guess you are white too. 

:laugh:

Edited by post

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

i'm going to 'hazard a guess' that LadyKay and all the people who are aghast, especially those who are suggesting that this man is brain damaged or using drugs, are white, and that most of their friends are also white. 

Okay! I am sorry. But why have you turn this into a race issue? I posted this to simply ask what others think. I even said that I felt that I myself could be overly critical of what this person is doing. As I will admit that I am an imperfect being. You were free to post your thoughts on the matter and I did not dispute them or tell you were wrong. I read what you had to say. I consider what you said along with everyone else. Then I moved on. I did not dispute you nor comment to you. So now I ask you. Why are you making this into a race issue?