• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

54 minutes ago, Willa said:

Heb 13:17 YLT Be obedient to those leading you, and be subject, for these do watch for your souls, as about to give account, that with joy they may do this, and not sighing, for this is unprofitable to you.  Heb 13:17  NKJV Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.  Heb 13:17 KJV Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that isunprofitable for you.  Heb 13:17 ESV Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you. Heb 13:17 ASV Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit to them: for they watch in behalf of your souls, as they that shall give account; that they may do this with joy, and not with grief: for this were unprofitable for you. Heb 13:17 AMP Obey your spiritual leaders and submit to them [continually recognizing their authority over you], for they are constantly keeping watch over your souls and guarding your spiritual welfare, as men who will have to render an account [of their trust]. [Do your part to] let them do this with gladness and not with sighing and groaning, for that would not be profitable to you [either]. 17 ALT You yourselves be obeying the ones leading youp, and be yielding [to them] [fig., be accepting their authority], for they are watching over your souls as they will be giving an account, so that they shall be doing this with joy and not complaining with groans, for this [would be] detrimental to you.  Heb 13:17 NASV  Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. [fn]Let them do this with joy and not [fn]with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you. Heb 13:17 

Vine says this:[ B-2,Verb,G3982, peitho ] 
"to persuade, to win over," in the Passive and Middle Voices, "to be persuaded, to listen to, to obey," is so used with this meaning, in the Middle Voice, e.g., in Acts 5:36-Acts 5:37 (in Acts 5:40, Passive Voice, "they agreed"); Romans 2:8; Galatians 5:7; Hebrews 13:17; James 3:3. The "obedience" suggested is not by submission to authority, but resulting from persuasion. 
"Peitho and pisteuo" 'to trust,' are closely related etymologically; the difference in meaning is that the former implies the obedience that is produced by the latter.

You may need to buy a more literal word for word translation.  

Paraphrases and thought for thought translations such as NIV will substitute words and thoughts that may differ from the literal or Greek.  Many good literal word for word translations are available online.  StudyBible.info is another source and it lists literal translations as well as popular translations which are regarded to be word for word. biblestudytools.com is also good.  I use E-Sword and downloaded many of these for free.  Blue Letter Bible also has many literal versions as does BibleGateway.com.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+13%3A7%2CHebrews+13&version=NKJV

i have given links to some of the versions you posted, none say obey.

someting ain't right here

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

27 minutes ago, woundeddog said:

when a person affiliates with a church the head pastor is put in the place of leadership by God for that particular flock... his concern should be for the welfare of the flock and if he is a true shepherd he spends hours in prayer and study to protect the spiritual well being of his people. He will be answerable to the Lord for the welfare of his flock.. If he has been lead to think that a particular TV show or entertainment is not good for you , it probably isn't--- . He is answerable to God for our welfare and we are answerable to God for our obedience  to his leadership. If a person is uncomfortable with that they should find another church, or start their own and see if God blesses their efforts!

Well I don't think it necessary to leave the church just because the pastor and myself disagree on the tv show. (Truth be told this has only ever come up a hand full of time that I can remember).  I feel I can still attend a church even if I do not agree with everything the pastor says. As long as it isn't something major like he say something false about God. But no. I'm not going to leave the church just because the pastor does not like rock music or a tv show.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

35 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

:D  Disregard my post about Biblehub.  Out of the Shadows referenced the wrong verse!   It should be Hebrews 13:17. NOT 13:7.  Try it again on Bible Hub

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

28 minutes ago, Willa said:

It is good to know that Bible Hub has changed the wording of all these versions.  I have hard copies in my lap of the literal ones that say OBEY, and many other online bibles confirm this.  WARNING! DON'T TRUST BIBLE HUB!  IT CHANGES THE WORDS OF COPYWRITE BIBLE VERSIONS TO ITS OWN INTERPRETATIONS.

No, the mistake was mine, I was looking at 13:7 not 13:17

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Parallel Verses
King James Version
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.  
       From BibleHub

I don't know what is going on but I just looked up a few versions myself & they all did indeed use the word "obey" but let us not nit -pick over which version says what because it is as Willa has said because in both Hebrew & Greek we have "obey" &/or "to submit".....we do get the jist of it

I wouldn't dismiss what he said out of hand, but I wouldn't necessarily stop watching it just because he doesn't like it.  I don't have a problem with him giving us a warning if he believes he is protecting us from something bad.                                                                         Butero

I would have to agree,I would greatly consider anything my Pastor advises against & then ask God......also,as Jadey mentioned early,it may very well be sin for one & not the other....?   Personal Convictions between us & the Lord and "yes" be prepared & willing to obey God                                         With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

3 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

No, the mistake was mine, I was looking at 13:7 not 13:17

But I didn't catch the mistake till I had read most of my hard copies again!.  Yup.  We are human and we goof up.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

That's putting it mildly-lol    I couldn't imagine how 13 versions could all be wrongly translated,I have a big library & I thought I needed to add to my collection....glad that got sorted                                   Love y'all

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+13%3A7%2CHebrews+13&version=NKJV

i have given links to some of the versions you posted, none say obey.

someting ain't right here

That's because Willa posted verse 17, and you posted verse 7.

editing to add, that I got to page 3 and responded, before seeing the correction. 

Edited by giggling appy

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

16 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Excuse me? The only one I submit too when concerning spiritual matters is my God.

I am sure such an answer seems quite pious and spiritual, but how far short of the realty of the life God calls us to it falls!

God tells us to submit to many people.

He tells you to submit to your eldership: Hebrews 13:17 Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

He tells you to submit to your husband (if your married): Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 

He tells you to submit to your parents: Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.

He tells you to submit to your government: Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 

So, if truly one is submitting to God in spiritual matters (or rather all matters) as one should, then one would be in submission to one's eldership (among many others), and rather then publicly complaining about their teaching, if one is uncomfortable with that teaching, one would be approaching them in private to discuss the matter further with them in an attitude of willing submission - that is submitting to God on spiritual matters!  

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, Reformed Baptist said:

I am sure such an answer seems quite pious and spiritual, but how far short of the realty of the life God calls us to it falls!

God tells us to submit to many people.

He tells you to submit to your eldership: Hebrews 13:17 Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

He tells you to submit to your husband (if your married): Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 

He tells you to submit to your parents: Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.

He tells you to submit to your government: Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 

So, if truly one is submitting to God in spiritual matters (or rather all matters) as one should, then one would be in submission to one's eldership (among many others), and rather then publicly complaining about their teaching, if one is uncomfortable with that teaching, one would be approaching them in private to discuss the matter further with them in an attitude of willing submission - that is submitting to God on spiritual matters!  

I refuse to blindly obey and follow a pastor just because he is a pastor.