• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

46 minutes ago, Willa said:

The fact remains that many women have been victimized by physical and verbal abuse.  We live in a fallen world, and not all husbands leave the managing of the household to the wife but are consumed with controlling their wives and children instead of encouraging them to develop their talents and become contributors to society.  They want to keep wives "barefoot and pregnant."   I do not promote woman's lib because it has gone too far in the opposite direction and promotes female domination as well as lesbians.  When women are loved as Christ loves the church and gave Himself for her, we become the Proverbs 31 woman.  We are loved, appreciated and valued.  And when women treat their husbands with the respect of 1 Peter 3, admiring them, honoring and obeying, their husbands become judges at the gates.  :)

But I always say, give me a household of servants to manage and I will get up before dawn to work.  Meanwhile, give me 3 cups of coffee and I might be able to function by 10 AM.:047:

That is true but I did not want to make this into an " Women are abused" thread either. Just focusing on what Psalm 31 has to say about the virtuous woman. They are far and few between today. A rare find :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

What a lot of people don't realize about this ideal woman in Proverbs 31 is that it was written by the King's mother!

It's not an ideal that some man came up with it is true knowledge based on a woman's perspective.

9 minutes ago, StanJ said:

What a lot of people don't realize about this ideal woman in Proverbs 31 is that it was written by the King's mother!

It's not an ideal that some man came up with it is true knowledge based on a woman's perspective.

Even though it was written by the Kings mother do you not think it is wise for a man to seek the Proverbs 31 woman? Do you think that many Christian men have a different view for what they look for in their future wife?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

What I get out of Proverbs 31 is that each Christian woman has virtues (values) of their own and they practice them to the good of others.  Implementing and using one's personal values is very beneficial in her live her familes life and to the reputation of her husband life in the community.  Implementing her values can also benefit the life of others.

But not having any values (virtues) of her own she can't be a blessing to herself or any one else for that matter.   

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

19 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Even though it was written by the Kings mother do you not think it is wise for a man to seek the Proverbs 31 woman? Do you think that many Christian men have a different view for what they look for in their future wife?

Of course, always obey your mother. ;)

The point I was trying to make is that this is not just one man's fantasy of what a good wife is but it is an experienced life depiction of what she knows makes a good wife. For years I used to think this was written by a man until I noticed one day that it was the King's mother.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

3 hours ago, Willa said:

The fact remains that many women have been victimized by physical and verbal abuse.  We live in a fallen world, and not all husbands leave the managing of the household to the wife but are consumed with controlling their wives and children instead of encouraging them to develop their talents and become contributors to society.  They want to keep wives "barefoot and pregnant."   I do not promote woman's lib because it has gone too far in the opposite direction and promotes female domination as well as lesbians.  When women are loved as Christ loves the church and gave Himself for her, we become the Proverbs 31 woman.  We are loved, appreciated and valued.  And when women treat their husbands with the respect of 1 Peter 3, admiring them, honoring and obeying, their husbands become judges at the gates.  :)

But I always say, give me a household of servants to manage and I will get up before dawn to work.  Meanwhile, give me 3 cups of coffee and I might be able to function by 10 AM.:047:

I think the difference is whether an abused woman sees herself as a victim or a survivor.

8 minutes ago, seraph said:

I think the difference is whether an abused woman sees herself as a victim or a survivor.

I think someone should do a thread on the abused woman. It doesn't belong here. But it would be a good topic since so many women today are abused.

If there was a Psalms 31 man what would that look like? What do you think a Christian woman should look for in a future spouse?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

If there was a Psalms 31 man what would that look like? What do you think a Christian woman should look for in a future spouse?

A spouse that will love her like Christ loves the church... to lead, protect, and serve her... a husband doing that and a woman being the Proverbs 31 wife would inspire each other, with God's help and guidance, to be more and more those ideal spouses.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

20 hours ago, missmuffet said:

10An excellent wife, who can find?
       For her worth is far above jewels.
   11The heart of her husband trusts in her,
       And he will have no lack of gain.
   12She does him good and not evil
       All the days of her life.

A good, supportive, trusting wife is a blessing to a man. A woman who partners with her husband, who is reliable and looks out for his interests, gives a man a security that is greatly lacking in the world. She is worth more than a substantial paycheck. To bring in the metaphor, wisdom provides the same benefits—it is worth more than money, you can always trust it to make the right decision, and it provides blessings for those who have it.

13She looks for wool and flax,
       And works with her hands in delight…
   19She stretches out her hands to the distaff,
       And her hands grasp the spindle…
   27She looks well to the ways of her household,
       And does not eat the bread of idleness.

The wife of Proverbs 31 isn’t afraid of work. She gets up in the morning and gets things done. In the time of Solomon, this involved making fabric and sewing clothes, but verse 27 certainly applies directly to us today—taking care of our responsibilities is a characteristic of wisdom.

15She rises also while it is still night
       And gives food to her household
       And portions to her maidens…
   21She is not afraid of the snow for her household,
       For all her household are clothed with scarlet.
   20She extends her hand to the poor,
       And she stretches out her hands to the needy.

Another characteristic of wisdom is the grace to help others. The Proverbs 31 wife ensures that those under her care receive what they need—food, clothing, protection. And she is able to serve others out of the excess of her work and the leaning of her heart. She has so internalized her role as a provider that it extends past her immediate responsibilities and into the community.

14She is like merchant ships;
       She brings her food from afar…
   16She considers a field and buys it;
       From her earnings she plants a vineyard…
   18She senses that her gain is good;
       Her lamp does not go out at night…
   24She makes linen garments and sells them,
       And supplies belts to the tradesmen.

Beyond that, she’s savvy. She’s educated about the world and the world of business. She knows how to use her skills to provide for her family, and she’s not afraid to go interact with that world, whether it be as a merchant or a buyer. She knows how to use her strengths to her best advantage, and she fully realizes how valuable her efforts are.

17She girds herself with strength
       And makes her arms strong…
   22She makes coverings for herself;
       Her clothing is fine linen and purple.
   25Strength and dignity are her clothing,
       And she smiles at the future.
   26She opens her mouth in wisdom,
       And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

The Proverbs 31 woman not only knows her worth, she knows her responsibilities to herself. She would not be able to provide for others if she neglected her needs—both physical and spiritual. She makes sure her appearance reflects her respected position as an influence in her community. Her greatest strength is her wisdom—her accurate judgment about the world and her influence in it. And she is quick to share the wisdom she has gained to encourage others to reach their potential.

23Her husband is known in the gates,
       When he sits among the elders of the land…
   28Her children rise up and bless her;
       Her husband also, and he praises her, saying:
   29"Many daughters have done nobly,
       But you excel them all."
   30Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,
       But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.
   31Give her the product of her hands,
       And let her works praise her in the gates.

She knows that, as a partner in her marriage, she has a tremendous influence on her husband’s ministry. She can integrate her life—both domestic and professional—with her ministry in such a way that her husband has the freedom to serve. In fact, her reputation is so established, that it bleeds off onto him.
The Proverbs 31 wife is a fierce provider and protector for those she cares about. She is wise to the ways of the world, but lives by the wisdom of God. As in the rest of the Proverbs, these specific examples provide a metaphor for the larger truth. How any individual woman exemplifies these characteristics will depend on her situation, gifts, and abilities. The key is in verse 30, just as it is in the beginning of Proverbs, in 1:7:
But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Proverbs-31-virtuous-woman.html

Do you exemplify The Proverbs 31 Woman?  This should be a simple question for you to accurately answer.