• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 9/16/2016 at 10:53 AM, GoldenEagle said:

I'm curious if those people here quoted then do not attend a local church gathering or partake in the local church?

God bless,
GE

Attend local church services. Belong only to the Church Body of Christ. Man calls that "church hopper" 

no more concerned about what man thinks than I am that unions think I am a scab.

I once danced to their tunes in both situations until I learned the truth about both.

Guest shiloh357
On 9/16/2016 at 11:42 PM, eileenhat said:

Do you feel the need for structure then?

Not all are at that level of involvement with God.

A child needs structure, an adult in God does not.

Yeah, that is basically saying that people who attend church are spiritually immature.   That is a bunch of nonsense.   There is not ONE place in  the New Testament that advises Christians that when they get to a particular spiritual level that they don't need their congregations.  Nowhere in the NT is church attendance depicted being for the spiritually immature.  To say that church attendance is for spiritual children really comes off as arrogance.   None of us ever fully matures spiritually in this life, none of us will ever "arrive"  until we receive our glorified bodies.  Until that time, you are still growing and maturing.

Much of the spiritual instruction given in the New Testament was given corporately and individually meaning that personal spiritual growth is tied to spiritual health of whole Church.   The mission of the Church in the world is worked and realized congregationally. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 9/16/2016 at 11:42 PM, eileenhat said:

Acts 7:48, "Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"

Acts 17:24, "God...dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"

Christians don't go to church to find God there.......   They take God there with them to be with other people to worship and fellowship with one another and to learn more about what the Bible says.  And when they leave, they take God with them to be with them in their daily lives......    at least if they are what I would call a born again Christian.    Non saved people can go there and learn about God and how to be saved.

I have not seen anywhere that the Word tells us to neglect meeting with each other as we mature in our walk with the Lord.    I don't understand where you get that thought....    have I missed something.        

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

added thought:

When there are no Christians in a Church Building, God is no more there than he is in the local beer hall.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,186
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:28 PM, bonnieschamberger said:

This is a good question and thread.I was raised catholic but now attend a non denominational church.I love the history I have because I can look back and see where God used everything in my life.I love my non denom church but sometimes I will still also go to mass and take communion ..that was always my favorite part always found it to be beautiful.

The communion was to cause us to see what sin had caused The One who loved us~ great pain and suffering so that we could return back to Him... focusing on the beauty of the event itself in ceremony might be detracting from the purpose of the communion and dangerous to the well being of the individual...

1 Corinthians 11:23 (KJV)

[23] For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

[24] And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

[25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

[26] For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

[27] Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

[28] But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

[29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

[30] For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

[31] For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

[32] But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Love, Steven

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Yeah, that is basically saying that people who attend church are spiritually immature.   That is a bunch of nonsense.   There is not ONE place in  the New Testament that advises Christians that when they get to a particular spiritual level that they don't need their congregations.  Nowhere in the NT is church attendance depicted being for the spiritually immature.  To say that church attendance is for spiritual children really comes off as arrogance.   None of us ever fully matures spiritually in this life, none of us will ever "arrive"  until we receive our glorified bodies.  Until that time, you are still growing and maturing.

Much of the spiritual instruction given in the New Testament was given corporately and individually meaning that personal spiritual growth is tied to spiritual health of whole Church.   The mission of the Church in the world is worked and realized congregationally. 

I totally agree with you Shiloh.  There is a verse in scripture that says not to cease from gathering together, as some had become in the habit of doing.  I can't remember where it is at and I will need to take some time to find it, which I don't have right now.  I will post it when I get a chance unless someone else here already knows it and posts it.  Also, Jesus says where 2 or 3 are gathered together in His name, he is in the midst of them.  Matt. 18:20. 

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, eileenhat said:

Yes.

And it complete nonsense.  Spiritual immaturity doesn't come from going to church.   You have no biblical basis for your view.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

On September 16, 2016 at 5:15 PM, GoodFruit said:

Hi GoldenEagle, the Bible church I am currently attending is independent.  There are things about it that I wish were a little different but I guess what appeals to me the most is that the pastor does teach the truth of God’s word (as I understand the truth to be).  People actually bring their bibles to church and open them!  What a concept!  The church I grew up in didn’t even have any bibles in the pews until about 7-8 years ago!  All the scripture readings were printed in the bulletin.  When they finally purchased bibles to go next to the hymnals, very few people even bothered to open them and read along with the scripture readings.  People just sat there like typical robots listening.  Now the church has the big fancy screens on the wall where the scripture readings are shown, along with the bulletin.  The pew bibles are virtually unused now.

I actually think that when someone starts agreeing 100% with any particular church, that in itself indicates a potential problem.  No church on earth is 100% flawless.

Exactly! I agree with you here in bold. 

At our church we have people who have tablets or use their phones. We also have people who bring copies of the Bible. If people want a Bible there's plenty of Bibles in the pews that are used each service. I guess it's just the church evolving with technology advancement?

God bless,

GE

20 hours ago, Hoddie said:

The One and Holy Catholic Church. Techincally, the Catholic Church is not a denomination. The word "denomination" comes from the Latin for "from the name of" which implies it came from another organization. It didn't. It was the first Christian Church, and was established by Jesus. In fact, it was the only Christian Church for the first 1000 years. Only in 1054 A.D., did the Orthodox split off. And, in 1517 A.D., Martin Luther, an ex-Catholic priest and monk, started the Reformation and Protestantism since then has splintered into literally thousands of man-made, doctrinally disunified, disagreeing denominations.
__________________Peace __________________

Hiya Hoodie! :) 

The Church was established by Jesus. Sure. But it is not the "Roman Catholic Church" or RCC. There are some Christians who are catholic. Yet not all catholics are Christian. 

The RCC is not exactly unified either. Take Richard Rohr's teaching for example. There's a lot of man-made doctrine that has creeped into the RCC over the centuries. 

God bless,
GE

On September 16, 2016 at 11:42 PM, eileenhat said:

Acts 7:48, "Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"

Acts 17:24, "God...dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"

8 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

8 hours ago, other one said:

Christians don't go to church to find God there.......   They take God there with them to be with other people to worship and fellowship with one another and to learn more about what the Bible says.  And when they leave, they take God with them to be with them in their daily lives......    at least if they are what I would call a born again Christian.    Non saved people can go there and learn about God and how to be saved.

I have not seen anywhere that the Word tells us to neglect meeting with each other as we mature in our walk with the Lord.    I don't understand where you get that thought....    have I missed something?        

30 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

And it complete nonsense { @eileenhat }.  Spiritual immaturity doesn't come from going to church.   You have no biblical basis for your view.

Eileen I would agree with both Shiloh and Other One here. I see no evidence in the Bible for what you are saying. All the letters Paul wrote were to the local Believers and elders for example.  

There is no such thing as a hand not needing the rest of the body when it reaches a certain age right? 

I wonder why you think this way?

Galatians 1:1-2

Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)

And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:

Ephesians 1:1

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Colossians 1:1-2

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,

To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

God bless,
GE