• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,019
  • Content Per Day:  17.32
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, ravindran said:

I think John MacArthur is one :)

John MacArthur is one of my favorite teachers of God's word.  I wish I had enough money to buy all his commentaries, instead of the few I have.  I have and read many of his books also.  Besides his interpretation of the creation account, I have few disagreements with his expository teaching. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

12 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

John MacArthur is one of my favorite teachers of God's word.  I wish I had enough money to buy all his commentaries, instead of the few I have.  I have and read many of his books also.  Besides his interpretation of the creation account, I have few disagreements with his expository teaching. :thumbsup:

I like his teaching also. While I am not part of Reformed Church or not even a Calvinist, I love the teachings of people like John MacArthur, Sproul, John Piper, Chuck Swindoll.

They all have lot of resources online. Lot of sermons are made available online and free.

We can debate about Calvinism vs. Arminianism, as well as debate the issue of lamenting the state of the Church in America vs. seeing need for a renewed focus to fulfill the Great Commission. But the fact remains that there is a serious situation in the United States, and it hinges on a moving away in this country from traditional values, and embracing a materialistic, secular culture, with many in the Church trying to be "relevant" to culture instead of staying the course and holding the ground we have. It also doesn't help when fewer and fewer know Scripture and what the Bible actually says vs. "folk tales" about what people think it says.

Did it ever occur to us that when the "falling away" happens that Paul speaks of in 2 Thessalonians 2:3, it's a self-inflicted wound  that the Church ends up suffering?

I know folks are going to disagree with me, feeling that I'm "giving too much power to people and not enough to God". But the Lord has worked through the Church since Pentecost, with us being largely His hands and feet on this planet. And the Church will give an account for the work He has asked us to do in His name, as evidenced in several places in the New testament (as well as Scripture in general). This is reflected in part in Revelation chapter 3, through the letters to the Churches where Christ warns several of their deeds (or lack thereof). While the Lord is is indeed sovereign, that sovereignty needs to extend over the Church where we recognize that the Lord has asked us to do His will and has things He wants us to do in that will. When there are those who call themselves "Christian" who are Scripturally illiterate, who speak opinions that follow more along the lines of a secular materialistic world than the Word of God, and who approve of things that God Almighty has called "abomination" in His book the Bible, then what does that say of the Church in the West?

We can no longer wear "rose-colored glasses"; nor can we simply bury our heads in the sands of ignorance. The hour is late, far later than most people think, and the groundwork for the Tribulation is being laid as we speak. We can no longer afford the luxury or the conceit of thinking that our work does not matter: we are out of time.  God is "shaking the Earth" as He promised He would in Hebrews 12:26-29; not only must we work while we still can, but we must also address this issue within the body. And we must start with ourselves.

Edited by RobertS

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

On 10/27/2016 at 7:19 PM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Besides his interpretation of the creation account, I have few disagreements with his expository teaching

Well MacArthur accepts the creation account in a plain literal sense.  So what is your objection?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  4,019
  • Content Per Day:  17.32

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

Well MacArthur accepts the creation account in a plain literal sense.  So what is your objection?

Yes he does.  That's where we disagree.  I have explained my position numerous times on numerous threads.  I see no reason to revisit the topic here for your pleasure.