• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

19 minutes ago, Willa said:

I believe love is a decision to commit that results in an action of unselfishness or giving, and that in turn may result in an emotion.  

Feelings are fickle.  They bend with hormones, illness or pain, and a host of other things. Human love expects to be loved in return.  Without a constant supply of God's Word to encourage us even God's love in us will dry up.  God's love is unending.   God's love is constant.  His commitment to us is sure.  We need His love to continue to fuel us or we are unable to give out to others.  He is the Vine and we are the branches. Corrie tenBoom said "Not good if detached."  

Joh 15:4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  Joh 15:5  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

We may feel pity for someone that is drowning and succeed in pulling them to shore only to have them scream at us that we should have let them die.  God's love keeps on loving.  Human love dries up or is with held when rejected.  We choose to love with God's love till death do we part.  That kind of committed love never ends.  It responds with power  and kindness when rejected.  It casts out fear and is ready to comfort when the temper tantrum is over.  Eventually it may melt cold hearts when people know they are loved just the way they are.

I Cor 13 tells us that love is something that we have.  We do not have action, we do actions. We do not have decisions, we make decisions.  Feelings/emotions are the thing that we have.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

13 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Love is an intent to place the object of that love into a special place where only the best results are desired for that target. It's a way of seeing, sensing and believing that deifies all logic from anyone other than the person expressing that love. It's not an action, which is a verb. It is a state of being that shows ownership of mental imagery the wielder associates with the target.

I don't see any reason that we as human beings should not investigate this love as deeply as possible. It's a far better endeavor than doing so with any other emotional trait because of the rewards it possesses.  I see no reason to stop at the Bible at this, because of the fact that we all need to understand how we are to incorporate the Bible and it's teachings in our everyday life.

13 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Love is an intent to place the object of that love into a special place where only the best results are desired for that target. It's a way of seeing, sensing and believing that deifies all logic from anyone other than the person expressing that love. It's not an action, which is a verb. It is a state of being that shows ownership of mental imagery the wielder associates with the target.

I don't see any reason that we as human beings should not investigate this love as deeply as possible. It's a far better endeavor than doing so with any other emotional trait because of the rewards it possesses.  I see no reason to stop at other peoples definitions of the  Bible at this, because of the fact that we all need to understand how we are to incorporate the Bible and it's teachings in our everyday life.

Edited by Churchmouse

1 hour ago, batarang said:

<snip>  

Theologians have an interest in feelings as well. The antiChrist may use the fear of death to get people to receive the mark. The fear of death may be associated with a racing heartbeat that can be felt. However, if I 'reframe' this, it is not a choice between death or the mark, it is a choice between heaven or hell. Cognition and emotion can interact with each other. People are discussing psychology more than they are discussing feelings. This stems from Ezra's LIE. I have submitted 3 responses to Ezra's LIE and this is #4. Let me repeat my point for the last time. Ezra did not distinguish between God's love and human love. Therefore, he is saying that there is no difference between God's love (unconditional) and human love. Ezra claims that I don't believe that love has a spiritual component. This is a LIE.

This LIE is a generalisation. missmuffet also pointed out the generalisation when she wrote "Most psychologists? But not all."  This is my point.

I hope you realize that this constitutes a personal attack on a forum member, which is forbidden under Worthy's ToS:

Abuse of other posters is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, name calling, insulting, harassing, threatening or in any way invading the privacy of another poster. We also strongly discourage giving out personal information such as email addresses, physical addresses and phone numbers on the public boards. Any information given out in private is at your own discretion and risk. (Eph. 4: 29) Debate the subject, not the person. It is possible to disagree about a doctrine or subject under discussion without insulting the person with whom you are debating. Also remember that the fact that a person disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you as a person. Respect each other in the love of God! This is the main reason that threads get stopped, shut down, and even deleted! Users that cannot respect others will be banned. (Lev. 19:18)

Someone having a difference of opinion from you does not make them a liar, anymore than you would be a liar for disagreeing with them. If you cannot state your case or make a point without resorting to ad hominem attacks, you may want to review your argument to see if there is a point to be made in the first place.

Edited by RobertS

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

Batarang has been removed from the thread for the "lie" post.

God bless,

Steve

Guest shiloh357
6 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

I Cor 13 tells us that love is something that we have.  We do not have action, we do actions. We do not have decisions, we make decisions.  Feelings/emotions are the thing that we have.

Yeah, that is some pretty sloppy hermeneutics.

5 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Yeah, that is some pretty sloppy hermeneutics.

But it is good grammar.  Since you do not have an answer, can anyone else who says love is nothing but an action explain how you can "have" an action?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

1 hour ago, Out of the Shadows said:

But it is good grammar.  Since you do not have an answer, can anyone else who says love is nothing but an action explain how you can "have" an action?

Good question ??☝️️

10 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Good question ??☝️️

Well, I would suggest you categorize your question to that of the topic, which is love, an emotion, because when you open it up so broadly you allow in the physical body as well. 

To answer the question within the context given, you have heart attacks.  You have all kinds of actions attributed to your body that show the actions and reaction of it to the outside world.  Emotions are not actions because there is nothing that is moved or removed. Love is either apart of us or it is not. It's like kind of being pregnant.

16 minutes ago, Davida said:

LOVE is the Modus Operandi of the HOLY SPIRIT. 1Cor 13 is saying you have to HAVE the Love of the Holy Spirit which is a Way of Being- not of "feeling" .  Love is not a 'sensation'.

We have been told that love is an action, nothing more.  how can we have an action?  How can you have a "way of being"?