PetriFB64

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

What could of Billy Graham of meant?  Is it possible he was speaking of those who have not yet heard the bible, or even the name of Jesus, but God has, in His way, touched their lives enough to know that there is a one true God out there, even though no man has preached this to them?  I believe there are still people on this earth that never heard scripture once in their life.  All they have known is that there is an entity that is true and alive, one who has given us all that we have, but have no idea what His name is.  If their hearts are right, will they be allowed into heaven?   There are many who will quote all kinds of scripture saying that is not possible, but I do believe it is.  You see, I can see this in Romans 2:12-16

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Don't be so quick to judge a person when the all the facts are not known.  I wonder if there is a clip of him explaining what he said in that conversation with Schuller?

Guest BacKaran

Thank you, that helps me. Perhaps Billy s changed a little but is his heart is still right with God? Only God knows.

I didn't mean to kick a man as he's been a great example of God's light into this world.

My purpose was to get people to ~

Question question question what you hear and see.

To me it's shocking to hear Billy say these things but I'd like to hear the whole interview myself, so I can determine what he really meant.

Always be alert, compare what he's said to the Bible and perhaps give him grace for speaking out of step with the bible this one time yet watch, listen and question.

Guest BacKaran

I found a follow up to this discussion.

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0075sc

After Danny posted the quote from the Robert Schuller interview of Billy Graham I decided to check with the BGEA to see if this was true. Here is there response that I received today:

Dear Barry,

Thank you for corresponding with us. It is good to know that you were able to locate us. We appreciate your interest in and concern about the interview with Dr. Graham which was conducted by Rev. Robert Schuller in 1997.

Some have expressed the concern that Mr. Graham is now endorsing the view that God's salvation extends even to those who do not yet know or follow Jesus Christ.

We want to assure you that the intent of your message has been directed to Mr. Graham. As a ministry, we take the comments and concerns we receive seriously.

We hope to clarify Mr. Graham's position. Shortly after the interview Mr. Graham responded in his newsletter: "In all our Crusades we place a prominent banner with Jesus' words, 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.'

We put that verse there because people live in a confused world, with so many competing religious voices calling men and women to follow them. But Christ is distinctive and exclusive about the way to God.

There can be no true Christianity apart from Him. While some of the ethics and idealism of other religions may run parallel to Christian teachings, the fact remains, as stated by Jesus Christ, 'No man cometh unto the Father but by me' (John 14:6, KJV). "Over the years I have met people with many religious and philosophical views. Many of them have had deep commitment to their beliefs. But I have become even more convinced of the uniqueness and the truth of Christ and His Gospel. And I want to continue preaching it as long as possible."

In addition, Mr. Graham followed up with a message printed in DECISION magazine:

"Only because Jesus is God and only when we have confessed Him as Savior and Lord, can He bestow, and we receive, this blessed assurance and hope." (If you have Internet access, you can read Mr. Graham's entire article "The Only Way" on the DECISION magazine Web site at www.decisionmag.org).

He has also said, "The Bible says all men have some light given by God, both in the Creation and in the human conscience. Whoever sees the footsteps of the Creator in nature can ask the God he does not fully know for help, and I believe God--in ways we may not fully understand--will give that person further light and bring him to a KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH THAT IS IN JESUS CHRIST so he will be saved.

He may use our preaching or He may use any other way He chooses, but ultimately it is God, not we, who saves men."

At the time of the interview, Mr. Graham was struggling with physical symptoms related both to Parkinson's disease and a then undiagnosed problem involving fluid on the brain. These issues, in addition to his age, were evidenced by a weariness and instability in many areas of his life.

We believe that, under the pressure of a live interview, Mr. Graham may have become sidetracked and acknowledged something he has never believed.

Perhaps these observations will make certain to your mind and heart what is the essence and direction of Mr. Graham's ministry.

We recognize that our world is full of "false teachers." Mr. Graham would be among the first to take a stand against anything that would threaten to weaken or discredit the truth of the gospel.

His earnest desire and life commitment has been, and is, to present the gospel clearly and accurately. Be assured that Mr. Graham's heart is fixed on this one purpose. We know that, as the Lord gives him strength, Mr. Graham intends to continue to call all men and women to come to the foot of the cross and accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Our prayer is that God, in His wisdom and mercy will assist you as you seek His mind and heart.

May God richly bless you. Sincerely, John Zimmer Christian Guidance Department Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

No matter how hard a man tries to give his heart wholly to God, the accuser always seems to come finger pointing, its almost as if there is not a perfect man or preacher, they all have flaws!  So, if everyone is not yet perfected, does that mean that everyone should sit down and shut up, and leave the preaching of God's word to someone else?  Or do we give it our best shot, knowing the accuser is after us every day?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,232
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

27 minutes ago, hmbld said:

No matter how hard a man tries to give his heart wholly to God, the accuser always seems to come finger pointing, its almost as if there is not a perfect man or preacher, they all have flaws!  So, if everyone is not yet perfected, does that mean that everyone should sit down and shut up, and leave the preaching of God's word to someone else?  Or do we give it our best shot, knowing the accuser is after us every day?

No matter... the presence of evil is with us all- that is our flesh

Romans 7:18 (KJV)

[18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

[19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

[20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

[21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

[22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

[23] But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

[24] O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

As we understand this dichotomy we all are in the sanctification process- allowing  us  through that understanding to reckon dead our flesh and the world we began in (along with all that is learned from it's system) and renew our minds to a living hope (ultimately of the eternal state)... the growth we see in each other will be the uplifting of God's Word to God's glory with our purpose completed in such.... There is no greater satisfied fulfillment than to know that what is being done will bring our Lord Pleasure in the end....  Love, Steven

Guest BacKaran

Oh my! Thank you for this site as I looked up an article on Billy Graham and when did he begin to change.... He began at the very beginning with his conversation with Fulton Sheen of the rcc.....

God's patience is undeniable as the article goes thru the last 200 years of false preachers and their false doctrines.

I'm weeping inside at the things people have said about God that are just blasphemous, lies and dishonoring while leading others Off the narrow path.

And that narrow path just got a bit more narrow for me.

Maranantha, come Lord Jesus!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

1 hour ago, Davida said:

Wow, it is way more than that.  My gosh there is no man or woman that I would hold up so high that I'd have a hard time hearing criticism of him.

Agreed, and many prominent leaders have gone after rather strange doctrines.  I've no problem with the criticism, though it seems at times we demand perfection from our leaders, and that they can't give us unless we have our eyes shut.  But what about those of us who are not prominent, and we try our best to study and understand, and even reach out to others, when someone finds fault in us and the accuser comes relentlessly attacking?  I think I'm saying at times we could show a little grace and allow others to be wrong.  I did watch the interview of Graham years ago, and just watched it again.  Graham somehow doesn't seem right, like he wasn't thinking clearly.  Have you ever known what you are trying to say and everyone just says "huh?" 

Guest Teditis

Some people think that you (generic) have to get it perfect every time or you're not Saved or are teaching a false Gospel.

Love, Grace, Mercy, and Forgiveness aren't virtues they possess.

They just bash...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Everyone

This morning I watched a clip of that Billy Graham comment from the interview,in my eyes it is all gossip,tale bearing & slander when a portion of what someone says leads people to believe a certain thing when the rest of what they said is omitted....personally,I think it is just as bad as taking a single verse of Scripture ,out of context to support an idea .......I thought Petris OP was beautiful & enough said,,,,,as he said,there is no need to highlight deception but "Bible Truth"......highlighting deception is appropriate when & where it is appropriate and with ALL the facts.....so I found the external link  very disappointing

We see it time & time again,portions of a sermon broadcast on TV & edited FOR TV ,still the viewers will say they n"heard him say......." WE have to ask ourselves"Did I hear that?" and consider that perhaps we only heard 'in part"....that is why Gods Word tells us that we are each responsible to work out out own Salvation...we all have a responsibility to confirm the things we hear & seek discernment from Who we are Indwelled.....!If I have heard it once,I must have heard it a hundred times,this one is a false teacher & that one is a false teacher and yet,I'm going to say that I seriously doubt that anyone propagating these accusations has most likely never met the person or at least sat in on a sermon & heard it fr themselves in its entirety,is this who we are,rumor mongers? Absolutely not!

One of my favorite Scriptures is this

Philippians 1:15-18

15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,                                               NIV

BTW,I didn't address anyone specifically because I have no one in mind,so please.....don't anyone take my comment personally.....just consider these things                                                                                   With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/17/1960

petrifb64 

Thank you for sharing this post. Indeed the Lord's Church is fallen asleep, and I pray that each of us would examine ourselves as we are in dark days indeed. May the Spirit of God continue to enlighten us with discernment in what we allow into our lives. God bless you all