• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  608
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

HO,HO,HO,

Merry Krismas says Kris Kringle.

Putting Krismas gifts under a Krismas Tree.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This is something I posted on Facebook previously; it popped up as a "Your memories on Facebook." It seems appropriate to repost it here.

~~

What is Christmas? Some people will tell you that it began as a redeemed pagan holiday. Others will tell you it began as the Church Institution corrupting Christianity with paganism in order to gain converts. Others do not care about the origins for the joy of celebrating the birth of Christ Jesus, Immanuel, God-becoming-man. Others regard Christmas as a time for sharing and caring. Others think of Christmas as a time to be together with family. Others think of Christmas as a fun time of festivities and decoration. Others think of Christmas as the mad shopping season. Others think of Christmas as the time to open presents (especially the younger crowd 1f609.png;) ). But of course most people think of Christmas as some mixture of the above elements.

So where am I going with this? I don't know, other than just marveling how something that for so long has brought people together is now tearing people apart. When so many people celebrate the lights, the parties, the tree decorating, the gift-giving, Santa, and the like without regard for the Nativity, why is Christmas treated as being a select holiday in such a way that people don't even want to call it "Christmas?" (I mean, you've got the red and green, the mistletoe, the wreath, the decorated tree, the reindeer, Santa - all things that became a part of the Christmas celebration - yet it is PC to call it "the holiday" rather than "Christmas." ??)

Anyway, that's my pondering

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,437
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  0

I do celebrate christmas.

I see it as a civil holiday.

I think its ok to see it as commemorating Christ birth but it is not the anniversary of same.

In the same way some countries celebrate the monarchs birthday but the public holiday is not on the actual anniversary of their birth.

Its a civil holiday commemorating something.

It only becomes pagan if you do it that way.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Well I hope you all have worked out this debate on Christmas. Because Christmas is almost here! And then we have to debate the next holiday with pagan origins, which I think will be Easter. Then we can find out who is passing out eggs and shame them for it. :clap:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

On 12/23/2016 at 4:55 AM, eileenhat said:

I stopped commenting on this thread following your comment here.

I spent this time asking God for guidance on how to respond, as I felt you were being candid that you felt I was being harsh.

How is directness, truth and openness harsh?

I did not feel that was an accurate assessment.  More like a 'put out many fires' and I was 'just in the way' retort.

I apologize if I misunderstood the spirit behind your post. I can see that my post gave you a likewise misunderstanding. 

That's the trouble with message boards, we don't have the body language and voice tone that clarifies the feelings we put into our words. It is so easy to interpret anger in a post when no anger was there.

10 hours ago, eileenhat said:

(paraphrase.  The 'evil' spirit behind Christmas)

This just seems kind of sad. I don't know why but it just seems sad. And I kind of think that spirit of Christmas is just a saying. Not a real spirit. 

Edited by LadyKay

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

On 12/25/2016 at 6:45 AM, LadyKay said:

This just seems kind of sad. I don't know why but it just seems sad. And I kind of think that spirit of Christmas is just a saying. Not a real spirit. 

It is devastating, not just sad.   Yes, in the world is not just a real spirit, but many spirits, and most not good.   To be free from that power is only found in Christ Jesus.  The greatness of His Salvation from the world and the loves and lusts of the world is so much mightier and pervasive and overwhelming and thorough as

we find out more and more what we were saved from.   (it is far far too much for any person to handle all at once).

1 hour ago, simplejeff said:

Yes, in the world is not just a real spirit, but many spirits, and most not good. 

Yeah......but I still think the spirit of Christmas is just a saying. Kind of like when someone says "come on that's the spirit!" when they are trying to cheer someone up. I guess what I think is sad is when people  see evil in everything. I'm not telling anyone to go against what they think the Lord has called them to do. But I think we need to know what is real and what is not . And while yes there are evil spirits, I really think when people talk about having the Christmas spirit; it is just a saying. Nothing more.