IGNORED

Can a Christian be a police officer, knowing that they may have to kill?

Mateo

Guest shiloh357
55 minutes ago, CompleteAgape said:

How does one's job change how God expects us to live and treat others?  

It doesn't.

As Christians our life following the principles of Jesus should be the same for everyone and the same regardless of what situation we find ourselves in.  If the government contradicts God's expectations of His people then does not God's will have priority over the government; therefore a Christian should put God before the government? 

And my  point is that being a police officer or a soldier doesn't contradict God's expectations, even if they have to kill in the course of their duty.  Sometimes, law enforcement is required to take the life of a criminal in order to save innocent human life.  That does not contradict Scripture.   It may contradict the errant pacifist's flawed interpretation of Scripture, but not Scripture itself.

Jesus said His Kingdom is not of this world, as Christians that is our Kingdom, not the kingdom (government) of this world.

Yes, but we still live in this world and we still have to deal with the world issues that come our way.  Defending innocent human life and defending our land from those who mean us harm amounts to justice, which we are commanded to pursue. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  647
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/7/2016 at 2:28 PM, Mateo said:

Hello, can a Christian be a police officer knowing that they may have to kill. Please explain, why or why not. Biblically of course.

I would say yes. The command is thou shalt not murder. Not thou shalt not kill. If a police officer has to shoot someone in defense of others that is righteous protection of the defenseless.

Romans 13:4 - For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/14/2017 at 0:57 AM, shiloh357 said:

It doesn't.

And my  point is that being a police officer or a soldier doesn't contradict God's expectations, even if they have to kill in the course of their duty.  Sometimes, law enforcement is required to take the life of a criminal in order to save innocent human life.  That does not contradict Scripture.   It may contradict the errant pacifist's flawed interpretation of Scripture, but not Scripture itself.

Yes, but we still live in this world and we still have to deal with the world issues that come our way.  Defending innocent human life and defending our land from those who mean us harm amounts to justice, which we are commanded to pursue. 

I don't see where Jesus showed us to be responsible for administering justice.  In fact God said He would take care of justice and we are not to make the judgement as to who deserves certain justice or not, nor are we to administer any justice.  We love unconditionally.  This is very clear, I'm sorry but conditional violence by Christians is flawed interpretation of scripture and how we are to live.  It took me much studying (months) to come to this understanding which I reluctantly accepted because I have an innate desire to shell out justice to evil people myself; yet this is not what God expects of His people.

Guest shiloh357
10 minutes ago, CompleteAgape said:

I don't see where Jesus showed us to be responsible for administering justice.  In fact God said He would take care of justice and we are not to make the judgement as to who deserves certain justice or not, nor are we to administer any justice.

God has uses people in the Bible to administer justice in one form another.

We love unconditionally.  This is very clear, I'm sorry but conditional violence by Christians is flawed interpretation of scripture and how we are to live.

So if your family were in physical danger from an attacker, you would not fight to protect them?

It took me much studying (months) to come to this understanding which I reluctantly accepted because I have an innate desire to shell out justice to evil people myself; yet this is not what God expects of His people.

I guess you are opposed to the American judcial system and courts of law?   We should let people murder, steal, rape, molest children and do nothing to bring them to justice?