• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, Yowm said:

So where does a christian finally draw the line? Should one promote writings that promote witchcraft, wizardry, magic etc?

For me that's going beyond Star Wars.

Does a fictional story about witchcraft promote witchcraft or is it just a story?  

If I read a Tom Clancy novel about war, is that promoting war, or just a story?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Our grandson is looking forward to a sneak preview of Rogue One tonight--if we don't get too much snow, which is predicted.  Our pastor is a huge sci-fi  fan as well.  Me--I can take it or leave it.  Star wars was one of the few I liked back in the day.  This is one of the issues, like eating foods or celebrating holidays, is a matter of conscience.  We should not cause our weaker brothers to stumble.  

Being female, I do understand about not letting hormone mood swings and/or not letting our emotions control us.  There is a difference between that and suppressing them, which is to deny them.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

19 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I think I would have to disagree a bit. Food goes in and then goes out (e.g. veggies or meats), but false ideas and imaginations can carry long range consequences especially with the youth.

You have every right to disagree, brother, and we can agree to disagree.  Our sons saw Star Wars with us when they were in grade school, and they have been very conservative solid Christians for the last 25 years..  But you need to follow your conscience as well.  We were in the habit of praying about such things and even using them as learning situations and discussing them with our kids.  But I do understand where you are coming from.  Sometimes we need to teach them to abstain or separate ourselves and sometimes we need to teach them to discern, use good judgement, and to listen to the Lord.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

2 minutes ago, Willa said:

You have every right to disagree, brother, and we can agree to disagree.  Our sons saw Star Wars with us when they were in grade school, and they have been very conservative solid Christians for the last 25 years..  But you need to follow your conscience as well.  We were in the habit of praying about such things and even using them as learning situations and discussing them with our kids.  But I do understand where you are coming from.  Sometimes we need to teach them to abstain or separate ourselves and sometimes we need to teach them to discern, use good judgement, and to listen to the Lord.

Well said :thumbs_up: I was raised the same way

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

5 hours ago, LadyKay said:

No need to. As I most likely seen them all ready and by the way we are talking here I most likely would get a different message out of them then you did. I seem to recall "Worf" who was a Klingon keeping to the old spiritual rituals of his people. Other characters did as well. I do not recall it being looked down upon when they did so.  Others who did not share their believes simply respected them let them be. That is what I have gotten out of Star Trek. A sense of respect for people who are different and have different traditions that they follow. But anyway. My OP is not about Star Trek. My OP was about Star Wars, well manly Jedis. 

But I get it. We see it differently. Neither is right and neither is wrong. We just see it in a different way. 

Oh, I understand what you are saying, and have seen the similarities for sure in how the Jedi operate.  I have often thought the same as you, but like I said, not to the extent you measured!  Still will watch them all.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

I do agree that Star Wars has roots in New Age. Still, there's a lot of interesting lessons learned from exploring human choices, the concept of fate, and human nature.

I also agree that Star Trek has it's roots in a Utopia Communistic society that fully rejects God. Still, there's a lot of interesting lessons learned from cultural exchanges, the historic timeline (prime directive), how cultures develop (Romulans, Klingons, Federation, Dominion, Cardassian, and the Borg for example), and human nature.

I don't watch Sci-Fi for the sake of learning theology. I simply watch it for entertainment. I like thinking of the "what if" scenarios.

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

So where does a christian finally draw the line? Should one promote writings that promote witchcraft, wizardry, magic etc?

For me that's going beyond Star Wars.

Well the line is drawn between fiction and reality, Disney doesn't seem to bother most people. When our girls were young we never told then Santa was real. We told them the tradition started with a nice old guy who used to make toys for kids. 

Actually I like Star Wars just fine but couldn't stand the left behind series.I watched Supernatural with my daughter. At one point the are talking about the Book of Revelations, Bobby says that's the tourist version. As long as they stay away from the genuine article the can embellish all the folklore and fable they like.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The line can be different for different people.

If you do not care for the genre, obviously it's easy to reject it. But if you like the genre, you have to weigh things. 

The one fantasy series I quit reading was one that made God to be merely "The Incarnation of Good." That was my line.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

On 12/13/2016 at 1:50 PM, LadyKay said:

Are there any Star War fans here? If so do you ever feel like your Christian walk is kind of like being a Jedi? I do a bit. But have not really wanted to say anything on here because some people get bent out of shape about stuff. But anyway Jedi's try to not allow themselves to be controlled by their emotions. They teach that hate and fear is the path to the Dark Side.  They calm their emotions by focusing on the Force. They do not seek revenge on others.  I try to live my life this way. Though I fall short of the part of not allowing your emotions to control you.  

If no one agrees with me I understand. If you think I am somehow wrong for having such a interest in Star Wars I understand that too.   I just wan to know if any other Christians feel as I do. Like we are Jedi! :vader:

I love star wars. I even spend a little of my free time playing an online mmo star wars game called "Star Wars The Old Republic " or SWTOR for short. I kind of think this is one of those work out your own salvation issues. If it is a problem for someone around me then I won't talk about it or bring it up. But I see no problem with it. From my point of view, most things are not evil in and of themselves. The evil is within us, in our heart. If there is a problem it is with us most of the time. All things lawful, but all things not profitable. I can see your point of view on this. I find that I also try to find God in everything around me and everything I do like watching a star wars movie. I love star wars. I find it to be fun and enjoyable entertainment. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/11/1963

42 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I find that those Christians with a background in the occult etc. (including myself) take a more cautious approach to films and stories like Harry Potter. I respect others 'freedoms' with such but I don't care for the stuff, seeing the damage it has done. I suppose it is the same for an ex alcoholic when it comes to the laissez faire attitude some, like myself, have towards drinking.

I took an interest in mysticism years ago, purely academic of course. Read this rather strange story about John Wesley having what the call the Addersgate experience. He credited John Fletcher with snatching him as a brand from the fire and that it was the most enticing thing he ever experienced. I think he was experiencing some dark night of the soul.

I've always got my radar up, I know there are things we should stay well away from. As long as they stick to folklore and mythology I don't get all that nervious.