IGNORED

Do I just have wrong impression or it's true?

LPTSTR

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 2/10/2017 at 5:46 PM, MorningGlory said:

I'm not sure how you would come to this conclusion; is there a study about this somewhere?  I can't see asking people at church what their education level is, can you?  I wouldn't care anyway; belief in the Lord isn't based on one's degree or lack thereof.

That is true.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I don't know if you're right but you may be. The hard sciences tend to believe evolution is a fact and Christians know it's not a fact so that may steer young Christians away from the hard sciences. I have a BA is psychology and I intended to get a PhD but it didn't work out. Even so, psychology isn't a hard science. I was interested in helping people with problems, more than I was interested in trying to determine if Black holes are real or what they are. Actually when I was in school Black holes were still Sci-Fi. But there may be some truth to Christians not being drawn to hard sciences. It must be pretty hard to have to sit in a classroom everyday where even the prof thinks evolution is a fact. So I can see where young Christians might be more drawn to liberal arts or other majors where they don't talk about theories as if they are facts because that's what seems to have happened these days. 

Guest Thallasa
On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, Gary Lee said:

My three children were all home schooled, starting in the early eighties. My wife was a high school graduate, myself, a senior year dropout. All three children  quit college after a couple of years. Each had been disappointed as to the content, method and bias. The professors did not tolerate antiquated christian ideas/questions.  As my oldest daughter was after a degree in child counseling, everything being taught was diametrically opposed to Christian principals. She needed that paper certification in order to "legally" pursue her career.  All three kids are married with families, believers, with Christian kids.  My son and son in law both with successful careers with their own business. Also. My wife and I are  good friends with a couple which also has three kids, same age as our own. Were sent to private schools, then college.  All have degrees. Engineer, accountant, attorney. All brought up in the same church as my own kids. All three now have nothing to do with God or the church. Their father was one of my best friends, a deacon in our church. He could not understand what had happened to his children after going to college. Though my family is less academically educated, I feel they are more prepared for life, or I should say, eternal life.  "Train up a child in the way he should go.............."   I have two cousins with their masters degrees in engineering from Rice. Both are believers, however their neighborhoods are considerably more populated with professionals, and better opportunities for higher learning. As are their churches. My church is more blue collar. I think there could be a difference. If you think back to the time when Jesus was on earth, and think about those who accepted his teaching, mostly but not all lesser of higher learning, and those who opposed His teachings, the educated Pharisees and Sadducees..... Jesus was a carpenter from Nazareth...... I believe He had a MASTERs degree.

He was  carpenter on earth ,but as God Almighty, He knew everything . And, seeking God, is to also to study His creation . But most are not ready .

Edited by Thallasa

Guest shiloh357
11 hours ago, LPTSTR said:

Although I would point few things out: If you are capable of becoming engineer but are happy with being cashier then you are not bringing glory to God because you are too lazy to use the potential that God has given you.

That is basically false.  That demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding about how we glorify God.   I know women who were capable of being engineers, running a business, and all kinds of high paying careers, but they believed that God called them to be a mother.   They work a part time job to help with the expenses of raising children.  Some of them are stay at home moms.   We glorify God by fulfilling what He has called us to do, regardless of what our capabilities are. 

I know a guy who got his bachelors in mathematics and can do Calculus like a boss, but God called him to be a pastor.   Just because you are born with certain talents or abilities, it doesn't necessarily mean that God wants you to make a career out of that. 

Of course the bible and science conflict each other.

No, they don't.   The Bible is not in conflict with science.  It is in conflict with the atheistic worldview that has been imposed on science by atheistic scientists.

Guest Thallasa
On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, LPTSTR said:

Hi!

Do I just have false impression or am I right? To me personally it looks like the percentage of people with at least bachelors degree in sciences is much lower among christians than in non-christians. By sciences I mean physics, chemistry, computers (and related), maths, engineering, etc. I have noticed from 100 christians (who are at student age) I know from my hometown churches there is roughly 3 - 4 people who have bachelors or higher in sciences. However it seems that when I would take randomly 100 students from university then the percentage of of sciences would be much higher. The Christans (not that much but still) seem to end their education with high school or when they go to university/college they would study something soft such as arts, languages, psychology, hairdressing, class teacher (for basic school/kindergarten), etc. I dont come from Christian family/background so I thought I would ask here if it only looks so or if it's really so. And if it is so then what could be behind it?

In the past in Europe, most  scientists were Christian/Catholic , and of course believed in God . I take it you are talking about evangelicals, who often seem to be afraid of science ,and take pride in attacking it .

While many people who go into science and maths are sceptical about religion,  who can blame them for this , as so christian evangelicals  deny the connection between knowing God and understanding His creation and the advancement of God's Kingdom .

Ignorance, is no virtue but is made one, by those who like to believe they  are saved by no effort at all on their part . The Kingdom of God is advancing in spite of them who cling to false pride in their division of the truth .

I used to think it was atheists which are the problem ,but I think often  that atheists are made by bad christians , who revel in ignorance .  

There are of course some very  great Christian scientists of today , among whom are Francis Collins , Denis Alexander, and Kenneth R Miller , plus many more , are Christians .

Personally I do not believe in Darwinianism ,but another theory , which is mine alone . Nor in the earth being 6000 years old - this false info ., of course , makes  those seeking for the 'truth', at odds with YEC ., and makes them seem to be atheists , when in fact they are just truth seekers, and may become Christians later .

30 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, they don't.   The Bible is not in conflict with science.  It is in conflict with the atheistic worldview that has been imposed on science by atheistic scientists.

Well put. I totally agree with this.

1 hour ago, Thallasa said:

In the past in Europe, most  scientists were Christian/Catholic , and of course believed in God . I take it you are talking about evangelicals, who often seem to be afraid of science ,and take pride in attacking it .

While many people who go into science and maths are sceptical about religion,  who can blame them for this , as so christian evangelicals  deny the connection between knowing God and understanding His creation and the advancement of God's Kingdom .

Ignorance, is no virtue but is made one, by those who like to believe they  are saved by no effort at all on their part . The Kingdom of God is advancing in spite of them who cling to false pride in their division of the truth .

I used to think it was atheists which are the problem ,but I think often  that atheists are made by bad christians , who revel in ignorance .  

There are of course some very  great Christian scientists of today , among whom are Francis Collins , Denis Alexander, and Kenneth R Miller , plus many more , are Christians .

Personally I do not believe in Darwinianism ,but another theory , which is mine alone . Nor in the earth being 6000 years old - this false info ., of course , makes  those seeking for the 'truth', at odds with YEC ., and makes them seem to be atheists , when in fact they are just truth seekers, and may become Christians later .

Thallasa it's not your theory alone, I lean in that direction too. I've read where some brave scientists admit that our ways of dating things is not so sure at all. So we don't know how old the universe is but I tend to think it's more than 6000 yrs. There are just so many things in this world that we don't understand. But I agree when Christians take close minded attitudes towards new discoveries we create more atheists. So being a fanatical Christian leads to error and being an atheist is just plain wrong. We really don't know the exact truth about the Earth but we do know the truth about God. The Bible is about God and what we need to know to be saved. It's not about how the universe was created although God had to tell ancient man something he could understand. Because as much as technology changes man's basic nature doesn't change. Man always wanted to believe he could understand everything. So God had to tell him something. And this is a theory too. I could be wrong. 

Guest Thallasa
2 hours ago, JTC said:

Thallasa it's not your theory alone, I lean in that direction too. I've read where some brave scientists admit that our ways of dating things is not so sure at all. So we don't know how old the universe is but I tend to think it's more than 6000 yrs. There are just so many things in this world that we don't understand. But I agree when Christians take close minded attitudes towards new discoveries we create more atheists. So being a fanatical Christian leads to error and being an atheist is just plain wrong. We really don't know the exact truth about the Earth but we do know the truth about God. The Bible is about God and what we need to know to be saved. It's not about how the universe was created although God had to tell ancient man something he could understand. Because as much as technology changes man's basic nature doesn't change. Man always wanted to believe he could understand everything. So God had to tell him something. And this is a theory too. I could be wrong. 

There have been people predicting that the world is going to end at any moment for centuries  .If you wish to enjoy learning about them, in an historical novel, you can't do better than read Walter Scott's novels "Old Moriarty ","Heart of Midlothian", and "Waverley" . I love them ,as history can be dry . He does all the research ,and puts in characters to make it a story .

For many whose family , came from Scotland it is  a genial way to learn about their roots  .  Also "Ivanhoé ", set in medieval England , is quite wonderful , with historical biblical characters, and references from europe  and the east .

You see we are not living in 0 A.D. anymore ,and we use what science has developed  in our every day lives .God has given us many opportunities to grow and learn, and life is much easier ,and yet some would  have prevented any scientific advance at all ,if they were allowed to be in charge .

Guest Thallasa
11 hours ago, walla299 said:

I wouldn't get too uptight about people's (earthly) educational level especially where believers are involved. The world sees things differently, and speaking as a 55 year old with an old associate's degree, earthly degrees won't get anyone into heaven or make them more or less useful to the Lord during their journey here on earth. (Paul had a lot to say about that in 1 Corinthians.) I say that because I once fell into the trap of believing what everyone told me about "you have to have a 4 year degree . . . yada . . . yada . . . yada" and got pretty discouraged while looking for work. You don't have to have a degree - if the Lord is the one providing for you He'll find a way to put you where he wants you. I'm currently working in a field currently in which I couldn't have even applied for the job without a Bachelor's and that was something the Lord did not me. Real life experience can trump a degree under the right circumstances. I wouldn't mind going back to school, but there are other things that need to be paid first.

Most of the families in our church home schooled their kids when they were younger and the kids survived 4 years of secular college without falling away from the Lord in the process. There were some slips and stumbles along the to be sure, but everyone survived with their faith intact. Now there is another generation getting ready to go to either college or into skilled trades (i.e. plumbing, electrical, and others.) I spent a few years working at a major university in my area, and you would be surprised at the number of believers I met while there. They ranged from janitors to some well known scientists, so I think that the Lord has people everywhere. That too is something Paul had some things to say about in 1 Corinthians.

* I mention 1 Corinthians because I recently finished reading through it again. :)

That's true ,you don't have to have a degree ,either to enter the Kingdom ,or to be 'successful here on earth , and if the person is forced by their parents against their own wishes, it can do a lot of harm ..

However good scientists do God's work, by connecting the Creation with God, and allowing God's brilliance to be known right here on earth -no need to wait until dooms day .In fact it is a major part of God's plan,  when he said He would give us things we could never dream of and He has .

Just because some deny Him as the Creator of all that is good and beneficial  ,and His  control of everything ,while allowing free will , does not mean we should let them think they are winning ,by stepping outside of scientific research  altogether .

God is testing people, to see those who give Hm credit ,and those who wish to take the honours for themselves , as many do - and how thy will pay for this same crime, that led Lucifer to ruin .

This to me is the ultimate 'sin', against the Holy Spirit, the only unpardonable  one, Jesus told us .

15 minutes ago, Thallasa said:

There have been people predicting that the world is going to end at any moment for centuries  .If you wish to enjoy learning about them, in an historical novel, you can't do better than read Walter Scott's novels "Old Moriarty ","Heart of Midlothian", and "Waverley" . I love them ,as history can be dry . He does all the research ,and puts in characters to make it a story .

For many whose family , came from Scotland it is  a genial way to learn about their roots  .  Also "Ivanhoé ", set in medieval England , is quite wonderful , with historical biblical characters, and references from europe  and the east .

You see we are not living in 0 A.D. anymore ,and we use what science has developed  in our every day lives .God has given us many opportunities to grow and learn, and life is much easier ,and yet some would  have prevented any scientific advance at all ,if they were allowed to be in charge .

I don't think the world is going to destroy itself, at least not unless the crazy radical Muslims get their way. And I don't think we're going to let them. I don't think God wants the end of the age of man to happen yet. IMO God is big on giving man more chances to repent. I think He's going to do this again.