IGNORED

Question about the Canon being Closed

Guest Judas Machabeus

Guest Judas Machabeus
1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

I know you do... the place where you are demands this of you! Faith is unique in that we place our weight of being completely upon it; mine being very simplistic= it is upon The Scripture alone! I am promised by God, 2Tim 3:15-17, that it is sufficient in every area of being and will enable me to please Him in my life... It really is simple-> I, as to my being, am solely responsible for and God says where exactly my trust / faith is to lie in that responsibility

Proverbs 3:5 (KJV)

[5] Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

[6] In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

As with all the Words of God they can be adhered to or ignored ... but not forever! As soon as this life is over the individual responsibility with what was done with those Words will become the utmost concern for the eternity ahead.

This that I have highlighted in your quote above is the begin of true departure of the pure faith that God forms solely from His Word

Romans 10:17 (KJV)

[17] So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The Bible is replete with warnings about idolitry ... which is taking the created thing and placing it before God  'as to importance'. Simple right? So when the heart has taken literally everything created and placed it as that which is not being kept- it becomes easier to search out the s/Spiritual essence of the keeping!  This the requirement of being with God forever

John 4:24 (KJV)

[24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

It was the Word God placed in the Apostles the very same Word we have in our possession written (66 canonical books of Genesis-Revelation); these Words alone by The power of The Holy Spirit places faith to let go of all created essence we have began in and embrace that which those same Words promise :thumbsup: The famous quote of John Elliot from his notes "He is no fool to give up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose"
Love, Steven

Alright, I don't want to derail the thread. 

I do appreciate your answer and look forward to discussing Sola Scriptura vs Sacred Tradition next time a thread comes up.

Cheers

Guest shiloh357
4 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

I disagree with you, it wasn't settled. But I'm okay to agree to disagree. 

I do agree that all the letters and books where being passed around. But some were being contested as not scripture. The Book of Revelation was the last to be accepted as scripture by all Churches. So there was no canon. 

You say I believe things outside of scripture, yet you adhere to a canon that's not scriptural and place your entire belief in it. Glass houses my friend. 

I put my faith in the deposit of faith that Jesus Christ left the Apostles. 

How is our canon not scriptural?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

29 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

How is our canon not scriptural?

How can the cannon be scriptural taking into account the cannon process took place after the last of the scripture was written.  There is nothing in scripture one can point to as proof the cannon is accurate.   As someone in the very beginning of the thread said, we have to have faith that God was able to preserve His word for us as He said he would.

Guest shiloh357
2 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

There is nothing in scripture one can point to as proof the cannon is accurate. 

Yes we can and I addressed that in this thread.

2 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes we can and I addressed that in this thread.

Yes, I read your reply and it was very well written, but nothing in it was scriptural, there was nothing in that pointed to actual scriptures.  

Guest shiloh357
15 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Yes, I read your reply and it was very well written, but nothing in it was scriptural, there was nothing in that pointed to actual scriptures.  

The point of the reply was not to quote Scripture but to explain the question that asked.  Nothing in that reply was unscriptural.

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

The point of the reply was not to quote Scripture but to explain the question that asked.  Nothing in that reply was unscriptural.

Nothing in that reply was unscriptural, or scriptural for that matter. 

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Running Gator said:

Nothing in that reply was unscriptural, or scriptural for that matter. 

Doesn't matter.   The point is that Judas said our canon was unscriptural and I simply want to know why he thinks that.

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

Doesn't matter.   The point is that Judas said our canon was unscriptural and I simply want to know why he thinks that.

Because it is impossible for it to be scriptural as it took place after scripture was done being recorded.   He is not saying that the cannon is wrong, just that you cannot use scripture to support it, that would actually be circular reasoning.

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Running Gator said:

Because it is impossible for it to be scriptural as it took place after scripture was done being recorded.   He is not saying that the cannon is wrong, just that you cannot use scripture to support it, that would actually be circular reasoning.

I am not going to take any theological instruction from you.  So don't waste your time.