• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

:blink: Oh yes not good for diabetics.Another thing that is dangerous for diabetics is alcohol.  My parents would not let me have coffee when I was young. Some parents refuse to let their kids have soda but that is where I picked my battles. I let them have it.

My friend also drinks alcohol.  Sometimes I don't know what to do in cases where you know someone is harming themselves and yet...she is 44 years old so I keep my mouth shut a lot.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

My friend also drinks alcohol.  Sometimes I don't know what to do in cases where you know someone is harming themselves and yet...she is 44 years old so I keep my mouth shut a lot.

Does she have a death wish?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

I watched 4 of my best friends in highschool and college destroy their lives with alcohol.....   and a few years back when my niece killed herself over alcohol, I swore my mouth shut days were over....     if people who want to abuse alcohol want to be my friend or hang around,they are going to have to listen to my very near constant message that I care too much for them to be quiet....   my niece just hurt me to the core... 

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Everyone is different.

That is true...but a healthy system should be able to take that especially if he's a regular consumer of caffeinated beverages

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

2 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

That is true...but a healthy system should be able to take that especially if he's a regular consumer of caffeinated beverages

No, not everyone can tolerate caffeine. Maybe this person really did not have a healthy heart. If a person is admitted onto a Cardiac floor in a hospital that is one of the rules " NO CAFFEINE".

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

No, not everyone can tolerate caffeine. Maybe this person really did not have a healthy heart. If a person is admitted onto a Cardiac floor in a hospital that is one of the rules " NO CAFFEINE".

If the person did not have a healthy heart, then that is proof of what I said-there had to have been something else going on behind the scenes. The person also would not be "healthy" obviously if, and chances are extremely high that there is, there was more going on under the surface, the person did not know about it. But that doesn't mean the person was "healthy"

So, I will repeat, assuming this person consumed caffeine regularly and this wasn't their first time ever, there had to be something else going on under the surface, like a unknown heart condition of some sort. There is no way that amount of caffeine would cause a heart attack in a healthy person of that age group who regularly ingests caffeinated beverages.

It's certainly possible that regular use of caffeine weakened his heart to the point those beverages sent him over the edge...but that still leads to there was something else going on. Those three drinks would not do it, unless he's one of the .02% of the population that has never ingested caffeine and that was his first time, and even then it's a miniscule chance.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

17 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

It really IS addictive.  If I don't have my coffee I get a headache.  But I don't drink more than three cups a day.  i have a friend though that drinks two Monster energy drinks every day, in addition to a lot of soda.  I have tried talking to her about this but she doesn't believe it's harmful. 

I have never gotten addicted to it. It does not really affect me.  Then again I don't consume as much of it as others I hear do. I don't drink coffee. Could never get a taste for it no matter what I did to it.  I like to drink ice tea. But even with that it is not everyday more like a few times a week. I can go without it and not have any withdrawn issues like headache.  I have tried the energy drinks once or twice but to me they taste like Bleah! :31:  I gave it up completely when I was pregnant. As I was sure it could cause some kind of deformity. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

17 hours ago, missmuffet said:

. Some parents refuse to let their kids have soda but that is where I picked my battles. I let them have it.

I don't let my kid have soda. But sometimes I will let her have like 7-up or a Sprite. If we are having pizza or stop at a fast food place.  But nothing with caffeine for this child.  ADHD is bad enough without adding caffeine to the mix.  We would have supper ADHD then! :13: But to each there own, and she is getting older so I am not sure how much longer I can keep it out of her reach. But most of the time she picks fruit punch over soda anyway. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

I don't let my kid have soda. But sometimes I will let her have like 7-up or a Sprite. If we are having pizza or stop at a fast food place.  But nothing with caffeine for this child.  ADHD is bad enough without adding caffeine to the mix.  We would have supper ADHD then! :13: But to each there own, and she is getting older so I am not sure how much longer I can keep it out of her reach. But most of the time she picks fruit punch over soda anyway. 

We never actively denied our children soda, we just never made it an option for them when they were younger.  Now neither of them like it, one is 22 and one is 15 and neither pick soda even when given a chance.   Having not grow up getting used to the carbonation neither of them like the "bubbles".   

My son pretty much only drinks G2 from Gatorade, 1 16 ounce bottle has less than 10 carbs so he can drink it without getting insulin. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

The last 8 or so years in the Marines I would drink a single sugar-free red bull before doing a Physical Fitness Test.  It seemed to help get my blood pumping in good way.  While I was on recruiting duty I mentioned this to one of our office candidates.   He went to college about 1.5 hours from our office and one Saturday while driving over for a PFT he thought to himself, "if one is good, 3 will be better".  He ended up puking his guts out about half way into the run.  

He learned the lesson that sometimes more is not better.:D