IGNORED

Why isn't foot washing at church ordinance?

Willa

Guest Teditis
13 minutes ago, Yowm said:

You ask a question based on a false premise then accuse me of something also false. Predictable.

I'm saying that our serving is to be done willingly, out of a thankful heart ...not because we have to or out of constraint.

I'm just quoting your own posts... you're the one that's running in circles.

Let's get back to "robots".. why would you accuse all foot-washers of being robots.

Or perhaps more delicately put, why are people in churches that have foot-washing

ceremonies robots?

When I was involved in foot-washing my mind was on Christ, how much more of

a humble person I need to be in my life and how incredibly humble Christ Himself was.

You called me a robot by inference. That's harsh and hurtful in my eyes.

But now you're changing you original post to what you meant to say... is that some sort

of apology?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

who washed feet except Jesus?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

26 minutes ago, other one said:

who washed feet except Jesus?

It is not about literally washing each others feet in the Church but our inner hearts and attitudes towards each other.

Guest Teditis
1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Here is what I said..."

We would end up being robotic servants rather than out of serving in love.

He said we 'ought'to, He did not say  'do this' (Lord's Supper) or  'Teach and baptise' (both commands)."

Meaning the manner in  which we served. I never said 'all', so please stop with the false witness..

Your meaning seemed rather global to me... no false witness.

You're just being slippery with your words. Be what you will.

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, Teditis said:

So (seriously).. do you only do the things the God says "Do this.." to and never the things He says we "Ought to do.."?

Where's the Love of God for God in this type of mindset? Where's the Reverence for a loving Just God in doing only the

thing He commands us to do? Where's the mimicking of the behavior of Jesus?

There is no foot-washing commandment, otherwise it would have specific treatment in Scripture like we have with the Lord's Supper and Baptism.  Nothing wrong with foot-washing, but it is not command or an ordinance.

Guest shiloh357
18 minutes ago, Davida said:

If you think about it , it's not very hygienic though, some people will have foot fungus & other contagious skin diseases .  Nurses might teach us to deal with this community foot bathing thing a bit differently  LOL!

Yes, that is a problem.   I really have no desire to touch other people's feet. 

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

There is no foot-washing commandment, otherwise it would have specific treatment in Scripture like we have with the Lord's Supper and Baptism.  Nothing wrong with foot-washing, but it is not command or an ordinance.

Joh 13:14 LIT If then I washed your feet, the Lord and the Teacher, you also ought to wash the feet of one another.

Joh 13:15  For I gave you an example, that as I did to you, you also should do.

Joh 13:16  Truly, truly, I say to you, A slave is not greater than his lord, nor a messenger greater than the one sending him.

Joh 13:17  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

I agree that not all wear sandals anymore, nor is it repeated and emphasized elsewhere.   It is no longer a custom to wash feet when we enter a house.  But there is promise of a blessing to those who humble themselves and serve others in love.  I am fully aware of the context, and all too often we find the same sort of disputes in churches and even here in Worthy. I have seen department heads squabble over funds, and people here looking for preeminence or having the last word.  Are we any different than the disciples?  When we get into such disputes are we really counting others as better than ourselves?  Why do we always have to be right, be the authority, have the last word?   Can't we thoughtfully consider the reasoning of the others as having merit as well?  Can't we learn from one another?    I am asking myself as well, and am thinking that washing the feet of others might be good for me.

That is why footwashing might have merit in my mind.  Perhaps it would remind us of what Christ in us is all about.  

Php 2:3 ESV Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Php 2:4  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Php 2:5  Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, Php 2:6  who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, Php 2:7  but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

Guest shiloh357
5 minutes ago, Willa said:

Joh 13:14 LIT If then I washed your feet, the Lord and the Teacher, you also ought to wash the feet of one another.

Joh 13:15  For I gave you an example, that as I did to you, you also should do.

Joh 13:16  Truly, truly, I say to you, A slave is not greater than his lord, nor a messenger greater than the one sending him.

Joh 13:17  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

Foot-washing was a custom at that time, and a necessary one.  Only the lowest slave washed the feet of those who came into someone's house.  

The act of foot-washing isn't itself the point.    Jesus was using the foot-washing as an object lesson for a greater point about serving each other in the Church.  It is about humility and honoring other people.   Foot-washing isn't the only way that is accomplished.   The act of foot-washing is symbolic of the kind of attitude Christians should have in the Church.   Not that we always achieve that ideal.  The flesh gets in the way, a lot.   But the point Jesus is making should not get lost in the act of foot-washing.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

2 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Foot-washing was a custom at that time, and a necessary one.  Only the lowest slave washed the feet of those who came into someone's house.  

The act of foot-washing isn't itself the point.    Jesus was using the foot-washing as an object lesson for a greater point about serving each other in the Church.  It is about humility and honoring other people.   Foot-washing isn't the only way that is accomplished.   The act of foot-washing is symbolic of the kind of attitude Christians should have in the Church.   Not that we always achieve that ideal.  The flesh gets in the way, a lot.   But the point Jesus is making should not get lost in the act of foot-washing.

AMEN!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I agree that it is not a commandment, just an example in humility.  One could also argue that it is a blessing to us if we become such a servant to all.

John 13:12-17

So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you?  You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am.  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.  Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.  If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.