• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,924
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

2 minutes ago, Davida said:

Shows how we get desensitized huh?  Simpsons is tame now. So good your son is a Pastor!! God bless him & his family!

Thank you!

Blessings,

-Ed

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Good question. I think it's both as the beast feeds its prey and eats off its prey...a vicious circle.

Well lets look at this. I was in my 20's when "Friends" was on tv.  Back then most of the girls I knew were living with a boyfriend and or having sex outside of marriage. And I did know of 2 people who where seeing someone else's husband on the side. Which if I remember was the kind of stuff that went on in "Friends".  So hummmm................ :39:

16 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Part of my point is that the vicious circle didn't start with Friends.

I was just thinking  out loud again. I do that. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Beleive it or not. I posted this in a non Christian writing forum to see how responses would differ  and it  for flamed  by people. 1 woman accused it of being misogynistic  and my response to her abput that word being over used got me permanantly banned from the forum.

4 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Beleive it or not. I posted this in a non Christian writing forum to see how responses would differ  and it  for flamed  by people. 1 woman accused it of being misogynistic  and my response to her abput that word being over used got me permanantly banned from the forum.

Well....You posted it for a reply and you got one. Maybe not the one you wanted. But that is apparently how the women felt about it. Is the reason for your post to tell people what they should think about something? Or are you asking people what the really think?    

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

TV shows do both, they influence our society and they reflect what we feel and do. Ever notice in shows from the 50's & 60's like "I Love Lucy" or "The Dick Van Dyke" show the husband wife slept in separate beds? They were trying to be moral but in other ways they were still advancing sins. The separate beds used to really confuse me bc my parents were not immoral but they slept in a king sized bed as did all my uncles & aunts. But nowadays I don't any shows that aren't immoral in 1 way or another. Today I just don't watch much TV, just a few comedies so I can laugh a little. Television isn't safe if you fighting sins. It's very sad.

For me. I don't want everything on tv to Rated G. I like to watch adult shows that talk about adult issues. I like cops shows a lot. Shows like Law&Order SVU.  I am fine with them being put on later at night. With the Ratting on the screen showing TV14 or maybe even TVMA for more serious stuff. For me some shows are like looking into a reality different from my own. A life that is different then mine. Well that is how I feel about tv. Have a good day. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  3,156
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, Yowm said:

Humor is often used as the vehicle to break the taboo. For example, in the hilarious scene with the train shaking the shack, or when they heard strange noises in their new Connecticut home the episodes had Ricky and Lucy jumping into the same bed.  

yes.. sigh.. many a true word/deceit told in jest. easier to digest and more subtle.  i mean there was a comedy a family one at that where each week there would be a scene with  two guys were in the same bed... mind you with political correctness i would be accused of ..... i mean nobody even could see h0w immoral that is/was. because it was disguised as humour. its the frog in the cold water that is heating up

Edited by existential mabel

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,147
  • Content Per Day:  4.60
  • Days Won:  327

I got into a conflict once with some other women in my Sunday School class at church one Sunday. They did not like a show that was on tv at the time and made it their mission to try to have it taken off the air. They came to Sunday School class that morning and tired to find other people to join their mission. My responds was "why can't you just turn the channel." They didn't like my responds.               Lady Kay

I love it Lady,my sentiments exactly & as far as their concerns for the young ones out there I think they should set their sights on finding ways to teach parents  little "parental guidance".perhaps volunteer to help some working parents that have no i0dea what their kids are doing while they are not at home or while they are athome watching the boob tube & their children are in their own room downloading whatever they want to watch or look at   

I do understand everyones concerns for our youths but I only ever hear complaining & a whole lot of talk,usually targeting the wrong culprit......the  enemy undoubtedly has most control of the media and is in fact do a splendid job of polluting minds BUT who allows it?THey can stomp their feet & fight to get such & such a show off the air & another will come take its place worse than the first.......I watch TV & I also have control of what I watch,I also have an on & off button.....as for the kids....I believe the majority of parents use TV & computers as baby sitters.......& lets not forget the "smart phone" Has anyone seen the latest commercial,its fabulous,family time is the message,as the family comes t o one members house for a dinner get together there is a buckert at the door....all electronic devices g o in the bucket upon entering!!! And they have another commercial where a small child is tying to tell  his parents about tomorrows field trip(at the dinner table) both parents are busy staring at their phones ignoring the poor kid......great stuff,someone is putting air t7ime to g ood use,great message!

Anyway,Lady Kays response made me laugh,I get into many similar conversations & my answer is"You're the parent,the responsibility is yours and what your child sees & hears is on YOU"

King James Bible
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Also,how about the "Go to your room" punishment HA!   I used it too but when my kid went in so did i & I left with all cables & cords.....theres the Bible(& Jesus)or you can talk with your pets or read a book or schoolwork!     Not so bad imo                              With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Here's another point that I forced myself to discover bc I love all the Star Trek series. Not just the original but "Voyager", "Enterprise", and the 2 others. When I first became a Christian I wouldn't watch them bc the anti-God message in certain episodes would jump in my face. But I love Sci-Fi. So 1st I always remind myself that these shows are fictional fantasy and they're meant to make money for the producers, directors, and everyone involved. They aren't made with the explicit intention of teaching us spiritual truths. Have to constantly remember that. 2nd. Satan does use such shows to promote his lies. So in order to enjoy the entertainment value of such shows I have to point out to myself the ideas that are explicitly against our God and separate them from the rest of the story. This is the only way I can watch anything on TV and enjoy it without it making me think "well wait a minute, maybe that idea is true and the Bible is wrong". No, no, no, so to make sure that doesn't happen I actually identify the un-Godly ideas so they can't influence me. We have to do this with comedies but even more so with science fiction and fantasy. When the original "Star Wars" came out I went to see and I loved it too. I immediately recognized "The Force" was what they considered as god. But unlike the real God the force is an impersonal energy that you could learn to control. Nevertheless, the special effects were so spectacular that I enjoyed the movie. I went back to work the next week and I noticed that people who would have said to another, God bless you, good luck, or best of health, were now saying May the Force Be With You. See what I mean? People were believing the Star Wars fantasy idea of God was perhaps the real and true God. They failed to see the movie as a money making entity that was never meant to teach us spiritual truths. As Christians we have to keep this foremost in our minds if we want to be entertained without falling into a sinful way of thinking. And just so you know I'm not a genius, it took me about 10 yrs to learn to do this. It's not easy. It's even harder for parents who 1st must master this technique and then teach it to your children. But it's essential to do this. Finally, even knowing all this there are some shows that are so far in the evil direction that I won't watch them. We need Godly wisdom with TV, movies, and video games.        

Edited by JTC