• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, Teditis said:

I believe that since they're both spelled differently, they must have different meanings...

Lol Ted,

I guess I should have said one can believe and not have faith - or not much of. Or is it impossible to not have one without the other?

eg: Mark 9v 23,24

Jesus said to him,"If you can believe, all things  are possible to him who believs."

immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe, help my unbelief!"

In this case the belief is there but it's not strong -  that obviously impacted on his faith...?

Edited by HisFirst

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

17 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Is it the same thing to you?

I would say no, for this reason.  First I believed by faith, my belief has never changed, but my faith has grown.

3 minutes ago, wingnut- said:

I would say no, for this reason.  First I believed by faith, my belief has never changed, but my faith has grown.

Hi WN :)

Thanks for replying - did your faith grow from things that have happened in your life or more through studying the Bible?

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

1 minute ago, HisFirst said:

Hi WN :)

Thanks for replying - did your faith grow from things that have happened in your life or more through studying the Bible?

Both.  And you are welcome. :)

2 minutes ago, wingnut- said:

Both.  And you are welcome. :)

That's a good answer because I love it when Followers of Christ can fall back on their own experiences and see what God has done!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,623
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hebrews 11 defines faith.

John 12 towards it's end describes unbelief and it's reasons

James 2 describes belief as being insufficient on it's own. There must be faith that is living in action.

The living Translation of the Bible uses faith and belief  in the same sentence as though the words are interchangeable, but  I do not see them as the same. For yes demons believe and man is commended for his own belief, yet belief is not enough and even it cannot come by man's own doing. Belief must come first from God's mercy and grace by the Holy Spirit removing the scales from before the eye of a man.  Belief  then leads to faith that holds on, even in the absense of fulfillment in this life.  Faith of Jesus is strong while faith of man may be weak indeed.

I try to put my own faith in the faith  of Jesus, believing His faith to be superior and perfect. I do not have such belief without God the Holy Spirit giving me ability to see it by his having removed the blinders from my mind's eye. From that point on  I manage to have belief same as demons even have belief. I then am by the Holy Spirit's awakening to my need of my repentance  from my sin against God allowed to gain faith  that holds on, though I may never see it's fruit in my lifetime. In some small measure each saint has  that faith  which  is martyrdom though not all are called to suffer death for their faith.

To believe is good as it has been declared within the word of God; to have faith  is the fulfilment of belief that leads to action confirming faith.

To "faith(e)" is  a verb or should be, it is action not just stagnant recognition. To believe does not of itself have action that is faith. For demons believe yet they  in no way faith(e) in Jesus. They still kick against the pricks and will always to their destruction.

James has told us that faith without works is dead. To me that means faith has action. Belief may or may not lead to action. Faith is the action. Belief may be the cause, but faith is the  result.  Belief is not possible except by the  reveal of God by God. Faith  is the following of God's will, even following regardless of never seeing the result of that which is faith, until a better sight is known, and experienced, that of eternity with Jesus in the presence of God the Father, as initated by the agency of the Holy Spirit.

Though they may be close cousins or  siblings  and sometimes even  seen as twins, faith is greater than belief though faith cannot be, without first there being belief allowed in man by God.

No one has faith to believe, that is a gift to be received; but all that believe have a measure of faith to cling to, and in which to grow or be sanctified in, all by the grace and mercy of our creator Jesus who is Lord God and savior of a fallen creation.

If uncertain about belief, and short of faith, ask! Ask of God;  am I saved, if not please show me that I may believe and have faith  that does live within me. Please bring salvation to this humble soul that I may in the flesh have faith in the faith of Jesus that grows and sustains me through turmoil and tribulation.  May I serve is a soldier in Christ Jesus and may I too go about and  into all the word declaring, as a witness, the gospel of Jesus, and living as a  (willing) bond-servant of Jesus giving testimony of you that many may be saved from eternal separation  from you. May  my belief and my faith-ing be seen in my life going forward from this day, and this moment. This I pray. May I be allowed to see; that I may pray in the name of my creator Jesus, by whom all that has been created was created.

That to me is believe and faith. They are not interchangeable. They are not born of man's will but of God's mercy, without both one alone is of no good purpose. Believe in God, live in the faith of Jesus.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  7

22 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Thanks Annette and ES :)

So do you think it's true to say you can have belief in God but little faith?

That seems out of whack..but

Hi HisFirst, 

I think a person can believe in God and grow in his/her knowledge of God; so yes, their faith does grow. 

Good question.

Blessings :)

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Hebrews 11 defines faith.

John 12 towards it's end describes unbelief and it's reasons

James 2 describes belief as being insufficient on it's own. There must be faith that is living in action.

The living Translation of the Bible uses faith and belief  in the same sentence as though the words are interchangeable, but  I do not see them as the same. For yes demons believe and man is commended for his own belief, yet belief is not enough and even it cannot come by man's own doing. Belief must come first from God's mercy and grace by the Holy Spirit removing the scales from before the eye of a man.  Belief  then leads to faith that holds on, even in the absense of fulfillment in this life.  Faith of Jesus is strong while faith of man may be weak indeed.

I try to put my own faith in the faith  of Jesus, believing His faith to be superior and perfect. I do not have such belief without God the Holy Spirit giving me ability to see it by his having removed the blinders from my mind's eye. From that point on  I manage to have belief same as demons even have belief. I then am by the Holy Spirit's awakening to my need of my repentance  from my sin against God allowed to gain faith  that holds on, though I may never see it's fruit in my lifetime. In some small measure each saint has  that faith  which  is martyrdom though not all are called to suffer death for their faith.

To believe is good as it has been declared within the word of God; to have faith  is the fulfilment of belief that leads to action confirming faith.

To "faith(e)" is  a verb or should be, it is action not just stagnant recognition. To believe does not of itself have action that is faith. For demons believe yet they  in no way faith(e) in Jesus. They still kick against the pricks and will always to their destruction.

James has told us that faith without works is dead. To me that means faith has action. Belief may or may not lead to action. Faith is the action. Belief may be the cause, but faith is the  result.  Belief is not possible except by the  reveal of God by God. Faith  is the following of God's will, even following regardless of never seeing the result of that which is faith, until a better sight is known, and experienced, that of eternity with Jesus in the presence of God the Father, as initated by the agency of the Holy Spirit.

Though they may be close cousins or  siblings  and sometimes even  seen as twins, faith is greater than belief though faith cannot be, without first there being belief allowed in man by God.

No one has faith to believe, that is a gift to be received; but all that believe have a measure of faith to cling to, and in which to grow or be sanctified in, all by the grace and mercy of our creator Jesus who is Lord God and savior of a fallen creation.

If uncertain about belief, and short of faith, ask! Ask of God;  am I saved, if not please show me that I may believe and have faith  that does live within me. Please bring salvation to this humble soul that I may in the flesh have faith in the faith of Jesus that grows and sustains me through turmoil and tribulation.  May I serve is a soldier in Christ Jesus and may I too go about and  into all the word declaring, as a witness, the gospel of Jesus, and living as a  (willing) bond-servant of Jesus giving testimony of you that many may be saved from eternal separation  from you. May  my belief and my faith-ing be seen in my life going forward from this day, and this moment. This I pray. May I be allowed to see; that I may pray in the name of my creator Jesus, by whom all that has been created was created.

That to me is believe and faith. They are not interchangeable. They are not born of man's will but of God's mercy, without both one alone is of no good purpose. Believe in God, live in the faith of Jesus.

Thank you Neighbour for your thoughtful reply :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,228
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

When we take in God's Word as Life itself.... The Word becomes a guide

Matthew 4:4 (KJV)

[4] But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

in fact as exampled by The Lord Jesus -the bread had to come directly from God's angels hands as The Son's commitment to His Own Word yet to be written

Philippians 2:6 (KJV)

[6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

[7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

[8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Hebrews 4:15 (KJV)

[15] For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

He did this so that we as people, (knowing), we could not have done this for our life was of here and of no other... (we the first born dead- in a dead place)

Hence the reality of belief that brings salvation is one that comes to this place -reckoning the death of all that we are to be one of Life by reckoning it so >placing full weight of being upon God's Word alone<... The first reality of God's entrance is new being repenting of old being and a set of newness, like unmovable stones, laws that are written on our hearts as the very fabric of Life... we know for the first time in our exist that God 'IS' because we have become part and parcel to His very Being in The Person of The Holy Spirit...
So appropriate is the response of Peter to the witnessed Life before Him in this

John 6:68 (KJV)

[68] Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

[69] And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

It is The Word that instills within us faith that loops back within us to an ever increasing 'His Life' both now and forever ... the journey is one of hardship to this flesh but this flesh is no longer our Life for we are awaiting our new bodies in the appropriate time -thus walk not in body but in s/Spirit and we will overcome our flesh to His Glory!  

Love, Steven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

On 6/30/2017 at 5:21 AM, HisFirst said:

Is it the same thing to you?

Faith is beliving, trusting, with no doubt.

Having small faith is like: I have the faith to believe (with no doubt) I will get food to eat soon, but with that same faith I am unable to dry a fig tree or move mountains.