mrestr02

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Im looking for anyone who is a christian who also like secular music.   I grow up watching purple rain film as a child. I cant help it til this day. Its one of my favorite movies except for the parts that I dont like but I like the music.  is it a sin to like it..

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2

Im responding to myself. I still like but its like a memory child I watch that film with my best friend who died 2 years later in 1986 health problmes. but his mom always took me to the show every weekend   a

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

I never saw the movie all the way through, just didn't appeal to me, the song is ok I guess, not one of my favorites by Prince.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Welcome~!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  12

I've never seen or even heard of the movie Purple Rain but I don't mind secular music as long as it is appropriate.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

The last secular music thingy that involved purple I remembered listening to had more to do with Haze. lol

:laugh:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I didn't make it through the movie either.  But some from my early days include the theme from Exodus.  I loved Unchained Melody as well, and some songs from Beatles like Yesterday, and some from the Mamas and the Papas.  There is nothing wrong with music if the lyrics are not ungodly.  It is the lyrics that make the difference.  

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,876
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Never heard of the movie, and I can't say I've ever heard a Prince song. But I do listen to some secular music. I mean, a lot of Beethoven, Mozart etc. is technically "secular," isn't it? But no one would have a problem with it.

Do the lyrics make you think of sinful things? Do they influence you? Do they keep you from getting closer to God? If you're wondering if something is a sin, best to ask God in prayer to speak to you and show you His opinion on things.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

My younger sister really liked that movie . Personally I don't think a movie in and of itself is sin, unless it's obviously something you know shouldn't watch .

There are movies that I avoid. I really hate to see anything where people are being tortured and I refuse to go to films like that. I do not like heavily violent films or scary demonic things.

Much in the same way you avoid certain foods because you know they will give you an upset stomach,  you should avoid involving yourself through watching or participating in things that you know are not good for you. I believe this is wisdom.

Edited by Intercessor Ginger
Spelling

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,140
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings mrestr02

Welcome to Worthy....I'm surprised not everyone has has heard of Purple Rain but maybe I'm just showing my age? Maybe you are either too old to have been interested in Prince ,too young to have been interested in Prince or just right in Christ to not have any interest in Prince,lol   I don't know but in the type of business I was in and having been subjected to hearing & seeing alot of what goes on in the secular world(not really by choice:noidea:) I certainly heard all of Princes songs and he certainly was a very talented artist by any standards ,even if his style of music was not a personal preference.....The movie had a cute little story line but there is no doubt it was not Christian......

Back to your question,"Is it sinful to like it"    What do you like about it? There is profanity,promiscuity,sexually explicit scenes etc...etc....    I'm not really sure what you like about it but it is like anything we feed the flesh....as a Christian we should be feeding our spirit.....we are so accustomed to our 5 senses,seeing,hearing,smelling,tasting & touching....this is what we find pleasure in    I don't believe its a son to like what has always given you "pleasure" ,I think it is a good indication that you are not feeding the spirit & satisfying the hunger & thirst of your spirit....your spirit is made ALIVE in Christ and you can feed it or starve it.....you are still nourishing the flesh,you see? So no,its not sinful,its natural,carnal but now it is time to hang up the flesh & really LIVE-Free in Jesus!

As you feed the spirit with Gods Word,pray,praise,worship ....you build your Relationship with God in Christ and you become firmly established in His Word,this becomes your nature....the Nature of Gods Righteousness,it is a process    Before you even realize it you will pop in your favorite movie"Purple Rain" and you will say to yourself "What did I ever like about this movie"? LOL    You can't do these things yourself,the renewing of the mind is part of the process of becoming a New Creature in Christ.....where you walk by Faith & not by sight,in Spirit & in Truth    Build your Relationship with Jesus,focus on Him & allow the Holy Spirit to nourish the real YOU.....you are really spirit,housed in a temporary dwelling place made of flesh & bone....the LIFE is the Blood,the Blood of Jesus

Are you a Christian my friend? I ask because this is the Seekers Lounge,the place for unbelievers,seekers & guest to ask us questions about our Faith.....if you don't know Jesus then let us point the Way....if you do then I Rejoice!!!!Praise Jesus!                             With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Loved it! 1