• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

I'm not asking about getting drunk, but rather you go out with a friend(s) and want to have a drink to unwind or whatever.

Is having a drink the same as us sinning?

• Loved it! 1

This topic does need to be addressed often imho because many have loosened their belts in obedience and striving to glorify the LORD.

People drink to get a buz whether they admit to it or not. Yes, that is sin.  The LORD has told us to come out of the world.

Show me a person who just takes a sip so that they dont get buzzed and Ill show you a flying saucer.:D

1 John 2:15Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not from the Father but from the world.…

1 Thessalonians 5:22

22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

James 4:4
You adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever chooses to be a friend of the world renders himself an enemy of God.

1 corinth 10:3132Do not become a stumbling block, whether to Jews or Greeks or the church of God,…

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

15 minutes ago, ByTheSpirit said:

I'm not asking about getting drunk, but rather you go out with a friend(s) and want to have a drink to unwind or whatever.

No, it is not a sin to have " a drink". But the Bible says it is a sin to get drunk.

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  371
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/26/2002

in moderation :) if it was a sin jesus wouldnt have turned the water into wine for the guests? john 2:1-10 

• Loved it! 4

8 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Substitute alcohol instead of food in the following (principle is the same)...

Luke 21:And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

I was word studying this the other day. Surfeiting is gluttony.  I learned something! :P

"What is surfeiting? It is eating too much. More precisely, it is living for the sake of the belly. Has there ever been a generation who eats as much as we do? More and more, we eat out instead of at home. In recent years, the serving size and caloric content of a restaurant meal have sharply increased. At the same time, the food has become richer and more exotic. The result is that we are all getting fat. Public health officials have declared that obesity is now an epidemic. " 

http://www.themoorings.org/Bible_prophecy/rapture/worthiness_test.html

I dont necessarily advocate this site. I have just begun to check it out. This particular topic did catch my eye.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

21 minutes ago, ByTheSpirit said:

I don't drink but don't think it is a sin. Dont become a drunkard. If your in Christ and Chrust is in you should be feeding the Spirit and starving the flesh. He didn't die for us to be fruitless ornaments in the kingdom of God. Not sure the Spirit would you into a bar to drink:)

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Is it a sin to eat/drink?   No.      Is it a sin to be a glutton/drunk?    Yes.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

5 hours ago, Blueyedjewel said:

This topic does need to be addressed often imho because many have loosened their belts in obedience and striving to glorify the LORD.

People drink to get a buz whether they admit to it or not. Yes, that is sin.  The LORD has told us to come out of the world.

Show me a person who just takes a sip so that they dont get buzzed and Ill show you a flying saucer.:D

1 John 2:15Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not from the Father but from the world.…

1 Thessalonians 5:22

22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

James 4:4
You adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever chooses to be a friend of the world renders himself an enemy of God.

1 corinth 10:3132Do not become a stumbling block, whether to Jews or Greeks or the church of God,…

I am a person who takes a sip that does not get buzzed or intend to get buzzed from that sip or from a whole bottle of beer.  That is a ridiculous statement. 

By the way, I am not a flying saucer either. 

This is just poorly hidden leaglism. 

Edited by Running Gator

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,174
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

4 hours ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Luke 21:And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

I was word studying this the other day. Surfeiting is gluttony.  I learned something! :P

"What is surfeiting? It is eating too much. More precisely, it is living for the sake of the belly. Has there ever been a generation who eats as much as we do? More and more, we eat out instead of at home. In recent years, the serving size and caloric content of a restaurant meal have sharply increased. At the same time, the food has become richer and more exotic. The result is that we are all getting fat. Public health officials have declared that obesity is now an epidemic. " 

http://www.themoorings.org/Bible_prophecy/rapture/worthiness_test.html

I dont necessarily advocate this site. I have just begun to check it out. This particular topic did catch my eye.

I read through it .... it coincides with taking up one's cross and following after Jesus.  I myself struggle with eating to much... prayers would be appreciated much :) 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

5 hours ago, ByTheSpirit said:

No, having a drink is not a sin, despite what some my try and tell you. 

• Loved it! 1