• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

Greetings guys,

I am sure there are already far more eloquent threads about the topic, and perhaps this topic has already been discussed. If so, I do apologize and will try to get around to finding threads within this group related to this topic. 

So yesterday, we chose a movie to watch with my folks while they were here. Not knowing much about the movie, we went based on a short write-up, only to find it was promoting a man's decision to end his life. The man in the story had lived a full and healthy life prior to being involved in an accident and afterward was no longer mobile, living with an injury that he would not heal from. The story ends, with him making that choice, despite the pain it causes his mother and a friend who had come to care for him. It was a hard story to follow, watching someone choose to end their life. 

This movie, though based on a book, left me feeling yuck! And for the first time in about three years, I had a headache like I have not experienced in a number of years. 

I am amazed by what is considered entertainment today, and what a movie like this, could do, to impact people who are going through hard times. Just looking back at creation, at the end of each day, God looked at what was made, and said it was "good". 

It would be good to hear what some of you think about the impact that media has on our lives today, and perhaps your thoughts on this topic. 

Blessings :) 

world of technology.jpg

God said it was good.jpg

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Annette

The media considers any rubbish "news" or "entertainment",it's what people choose to watch or listen to.....anything BUT the Word of God,all distractions imo

Anyway,I'm not a very good one to engage in the Topic of "Choice" regarding LIFE.......we do not give "life" to anyone or anything & I just hate the Topic.....I just  lost my best friend last week.....some may not consider a "pet" as others do(like myself) but he was family......there was no more quality of life & I won't go into all the details but I could not face the decision of ending that "Life"..I couldn't imagine condoning ending the life of a human being or encouraging anyone wanting to end their life no matter how terrible it is    I still believe where there is LIFE there is HOPE & our Hope remains in Christ,I guess they don't Believe in Miracles,I don't know?

Now on the other hand I also don't believe I would have as difficult a time in deciding to end life support(pull the plug) if ever put in that position ,I've not ever been in such a position but I think when it is time to leave it up to God,it is time to let go.......I suppose that is another Topic altogether,isn't it?

Our "life" is not ours,we belong to our Lord...as long as we are here God Has a Reason for us to be here......good enough reason to for me not to throw the towel in                                                                                                                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Unlike Kwikphilly, my wife and I had to deal with ending life last night with my mother-in-law.  It kept her up all night whereas I woke up frequently to be with her and give her comfort.   My mother-in-law was 90 years old.  She had a fight with my brother-in-law, who said some very discouraging things to her.   She ran a red light, bounced off two cars (none in the cars were harmed) then stepped on the gas and ran into a brick wall. When she was airlifted to the hospital she was still alive, but confused. Her body was broken in many pieces, her neck was broken, both arms had bones protruding in the open, her pelvis was broken in several places (and she just had surgery for a break in her pelvis a few months ago). The doctors had to put a tube in her throat to keep her breathing, and her heart stopped so they shocked it back to beating, but broke more ribs in the process.  They called us and asked us what to do.  She had repeatedly rejected Christ, and at 90 she was not interested in Jesus.  Also, because she accelerated so she could smash into a brick wall, it is evident she was committing suicide.   Linda gave the doctors a "do not revive" permission when her heart fails again, which it did just some 30 minutes later.

She is probably in Hell, right now.  I hope not since she was from a generation when being a Christian was both normal and expected, but we do not know. It was a hard decision for my wife to make. It is a shame there are no comforting verses regarding those who die without Christ.  She did not want to live anymore.  We are still grieving, Your prayers for us would be greatly appreciated.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

With military background the only thing I can say, it depends on the situation. In a hopeless war there is always a bullet spared in the pocket. I have read many military books and commentary and can't blame those who did it. What would you choose? Would you let yourself to be tortured, raped and humiliated to death? 

As for me I don't want to die like a dog. So I trust God that He won't let me sink that deep but will save me.

Edited by Zoltan777
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, Annette said:

Greetings guys,

I am sure there are already far more eloquent threads about the topic, and perhaps this topic has already been discussed. If so, I do apologize and will try to get around to finding threads within this group related to this topic. 

So yesterday, we chose a movie to watch with my folks while they were here. Not knowing much about the movie, we went based on a short write-up, only to find it was promoting a man's decision to end his life. The man in the story had lived a full and healthy life prior to being involved in an accident and afterward was no longer mobile, living with an injury that he would not heal from. The story ends, with him making that choice, despite the pain it causes his mother and a friend who had come to care for him. It was a hard story to follow, watching someone choose to end their life. 

This movie, though based on a book, left me feeling yuck! And for the first time in about three years, I had a headache like I have not experienced in a number of years. 

I am amazed by what is considered entertainment today, and what a movie like this, could do, to impact people who are going through hard times. Just looking back at creation, at the end of each day, God looked at what was made, and said it was "good". 

It would be good to hear what some of you think about the impact that media has on our lives today, and perhaps your thoughts on this topic. 

Blessings :) 

world of technology.jpg

God said it was good.jpg

I do not watch movies. Only very old movies or movies that I feel can only have a positive effect on my emotions and my life with God. And 99.9 % of movies today do not have that affect. Only God can take a life.

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

8 hours ago, Annette said:

It has devastating impacts, and it is being used to lead many people to destruction. One of the worst mistakes people make is to underestimate its power over people's minds.

Movies, shows, events, games, news, etc... Let of one of those things with innapropriate content enter in your home and you can experience bad results.

Ever heard of people saying that playing certain games has no effect in people's behavior?!

I believe games do inspire, promote and encourage people to do it in real life. They can change, inspire, and influence the behavior of anyone; even without them knowing or admiting it.

I have experienced it. The same goes for movies, events, shows, other's opinion, etc.. Without proper vigilance and God's word in heart anyone can be easily manipulated.

I believe people who underestimate or ignore the power of the media and do not give them proper attention is just doing what the enemy wants.

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." - 1 Peter 5:8

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,568
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

First my empathy to AlexDofTX. Sorry for your family's deep pain, may God bring healing and some comfort even in this very harsh trial.

Having lived awhile on this fallen bit of creation, I too have faced  death,  and suicide, and even assisted suicide, a few times, well more than a few. For I was a very young adult of 17 when I entered the funeral industry as a career in a fast growing region of the country. I worked for very large firms that did huge volume of funerals and burials for over 20 years. And since that time in my other careers, I have faced the deaths of many I have loved deeply, each dying of a harsh illness, often a cancer of one sort or another. And I have faced the dilemma of abortion too.

With that as preamble, I state that there is no easy answer, none. For this is the reality of the fall of creation. Death is the enemy. Yet there are times when it seems it must be best to turn over another or even self to death, rather than suffer life any further. Whether that is right to do, or wrong, it is very painful either way. 

It is part of knowing life to experience the deep pain of serious illness unto death, or to suffer death's visiting the one's that are so deeply loved by me, and I am sure it is the same for you too.

Perhaps suicide is the hardest death for the survivors, for the pain of it, the sense of rejection, never eases. Instead it seems to grow and grow until it is faced down. That putting down  takes years and years, meanwhile all of life is negatively affected irreversibly by  the sense of guilt having affected all that time between the loss of a beloved, and the ability to face down the sense of guilt associated with the death by suicide. It just never becomes fully comfortable, some adjust to the loss and the rejection it seems to have declared, but not all. It just hurts forever in this flesh.

The deep agonizing pain suffered in terminal illnesses such as cancers brings yet another terror to all, to the caregiver and to the suffering patient. I fully understand the blessing of euthanasia for I have put down  a few animals lower than humans in order to have mercy upon their plight. But to end a human life, that is hard too hard for me even in their deepest pain, though truly  it is something I would do I believe, if it were not for the great benefit of morphines and hospice.  

I have great appreciation for the individuals the volunteers especially that  comprise hospice and it's merciful mission. It is a worthy charity  borne of love to all that suffer and one that needs support of community's citizenry everywhere.

Most of us on this venue know victory over death of this corrupted flesh comes to all that know Jesus as Lord and savior. Yet the process of victory for us and our beloved ones is still to pass on to that victory suffering death of the flesh. It is not an easy victory that our Lord has won for us.

Edited by Neighbor
changed a d to a D
  • Loved it! 1

22 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Annette

The media considers any rubbish "news" or "entertainment",it's what people choose to watch or listen to.....anything BUT the Word of God,all distractions imo

Anyway,I'm not a very good one to engage in the Topic of "Choice" regarding LIFE.......we do not give "life" to anyone or anything & I just hate the Topic.....I just  lost my best friend last week.....some may not consider a "pet" as others do(like myself) but he was family......there was no more quality of life & I won't go into all the details but I could not face the decision of ending that "Life"..I couldn't imagine condoning ending the life of a human being or encouraging anyone wanting to end their life no matter how terrible it is    I still believe where there is LIFE there is HOPE & our Hope remains in Christ,I guess they don't Believe in Miracles,I don't know?

Now on the other hand I also don't believe I would have as difficult a time in deciding to end life support(pull the plug) if ever put in that position ,I've not ever been in such a position but I think when it is time to leave it up to God,it is time to let go.......I suppose that is another Topic altogether,isn't it?

Our "life" is not ours,we belong to our Lord...as long as we are here God Has a Reason for us to be here......good enough reason to for me not to throw the towel in                                                                                                                  With love-in Christ,Kwik

Hi Kwik, 

Thank you for taking the time to share. I know that this has been a hard month for you and appreciate you taking the time to share.

I understand too, that unless we are in a situation that we do not always know how we would respond. 

My dad, who will be eighty next year has gone from having a very active life as a missionary/pastor to a very quiet life. When he arrived here after 22 hours of flying last week, he was very weak and it was hard to see him in pain as he tried to walk or climb stairs. I am sure that there are times he feels like giving up, but I am glad that despite his weakness that at his age he is still willing to travel, and that my girls can get to see their grandfather.

Keeping you in prayer :) Blessings 

22 hours ago, AlexDofTX said:

Unlike Kwikphilly, my wife and I had to deal with ending life last night with my mother-in-law.  It kept her up all night whereas I woke up frequently to be with her and give her comfort.   My mother-in-law was 90 years old.  She had a fight with my brother-in-law, who said some very discouraging things to her.   She ran a red light, bounced off two cars (none in the cars were harmed) then stepped on the gas and ran into a brick wall. When she was airlifted to the hospital she was still alive, but confused. Her body was broken in many pieces, her neck was broken, both arms had bones protruding in the open, her pelvis was broken in several places (and she just had surgery for a break in her pelvis a few months ago). The doctors had to put a tube in her throat to keep her breathing, and her heart stopped so they shocked it back to beating, but broke more ribs in the process.  They called us and asked us what to do.  She had repeatedly rejected Christ, and at 90 she was not interested in Jesus.  Also, because she accelerated so she could smash into a brick wall, it is evident she was committing suicide.   Linda gave the doctors a "do not revive" permission when her heart fails again, which it did just some 30 minutes later.

She is probably in Hell, right now.  I hope not since she was from a generation when being a Christian was both normal and expected, but we do not know. It was a hard decision for my wife to make. It is a shame there are no comforting verses regarding those who die without Christ.  She did not want to live anymore.  We are still grieving, Your prayers for us would be greatly appreciated.

HI Alex, thank you so much for taking the time to share from something you have experienced so recently. I was not sure whether or not I should ask people for their response to this topic, but I am glad that I did, as it has given me (and others) the opportunity to pray for other people, who I may otherwise not have known about.

I am sure that making such a decision must be so hard. Will be keeping you guys in prayer at this time. There must be so many emotions that are being dealt with at this time, dealing with the death of a loved one is hard enough when under normal circumstances. Blessings :)

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

Yes, the world is promoting euthanasia........being without God the world is a culture of death anyway.  Don't let ourselves be pressured by the medical profession who have their own agendas and perspective.  But as followers of Christ we should have a heavenly perspective on all things.......and seek to be led by the Spirit in every situation.

• This is Worthy 2