GApeach678

Did I just recieve the gift of tongues?

7 hours ago, firestormx said:

Where is the fear of the Lord with this Post? Where is the love of God even if you don't agree? How is this edifying? Do you realize that if this post is wrong and this was the Holy Spirit speaking giving the utterance than this statement ( No. this was Satan ) is blaspheming the Holy Spirit of God? 

Oh, i DO fear the Lord.

Yes, of course i could be wrong.

As could YOU.

Maybe i should of said "It COULD be satan".

the problem _I_ see with pentecostals is that anyone who does NOT jibber jabber or does not believe in it is not as "spiritual" as those that do.

I can only speak for myself. I prefer to KNOW what i am praying about.

I am VERY sorry if i offended anyone with my reply.

I need to try to be not as harsh or upfront.

I pray for your forgiveness.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:33 PM, Giller said:

I cannot speak for your experience, but personally I have experienced speaking tongues, and do speak in tongues every now and again, especially when I get touched of the Spirit at certain moments.

Yes the gift of tongues is real.

Now there are true unknown tongues, and also fake unknown tongues, but the true unknown tongues, will always in some form draw you closer to God.

True tongues motivated by the Spirit of God, will never produce the ways of the works of the flesh (Gal. 5:19-21), but rather will bring your attention towards God, it will get you into a place of adoration towards God  in some way, in some form, and in some cases it will do other things.

No, it is not real. it is jibber jabber.

If tongues are necessary, why did none of the 5,000 who believed and received the Holy Spirit in Acts 2-4, also speak in tongues?

Answer: Because tongues are not an evidence of Baptism of the Holy Spirit. For something to be normal for everybody, it must happen to everyone. And it did not happen to everybody. Consider that of all the 16 salvation events described in Acts, only 2 groups spoke in tongues:

1. Acts 2........................... 3,000 at Pentecost................................. no tongues
2. Acts 3, 4....................... 5,000 at the Beautiful gate.................... no tongues
3. Acts 5:14...................... Multitudes saved................................... no tongues
4. Acts 8:17...................... Samaritan believers............................... no tongues
5. Acts 8:37-39................. Ethiopian eunuch.................................. no tongues
6. Acts 9........................... Saul on Damascus road........................ no tongues
7. Acts 10:46.................... Cornelius' household......................... tongues
8. Acts 11:19-24……….... Greeks saved at Antioch………………. no tongues
9. Acts 16:14, 15.............. Lydia.................................................... no tongues
10. Acts 16:16-19............... Demonised damsel................................ no tongues
11. Acts 16:25-34............... Philippian jailer and his household....... no tongues
12. Acts 17:1-4................... Thessalonian believers.......................... no tongues
13. Acts 17:10-12............... Berean believers.................................... no tongues
14. Acts 17:15-34............... Athenian believers................................ no tongues
15. Acts 18:8...................... Crispus and Corinthians at salvation..... no tongues
16. Acts 19:1-12................. 12 disciples of John at Ephesus.... tongues
17. Acts 19:18-20............... Ephesian believers................................ no tongues
18. Acts 28:23,24............... Roman believers.................................... no tongues

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KiwiChristian said:

Yes, of course, I could be wrong.

Maybe I should have said, "It COULD be satan".

1 hour ago, KiwiChristian said:

I am VERY sorry if i offended anyone with my reply.

The Bible teaches to try the spirits to see if they be Holy. To not believe every spirit. So the Bible teaches that it is wise to be cautious with matters such as this. People can't see your heart or motive through a computer monitor. I believe your heart is in the right place. Why else would you say the above, otherwise?

People have different experiences with God. My Mom for example in one church service when we lived in Alaska during the altar call went to pray. The Holy Spirit fell on her very hard and she began to speak in tongues. ( not all that uncommon for her back then ). She didn't understand anything she said. Over a short period of time, everyone else stopped praying and all you could hear was my mom. It didn't sound like what she said made any sense. Many would say it sounded like jibberish. After a little bit, she got done praying, got up from the Altar and went back to her seat. No interpretation was given. Then after the service was completely over as she was leaving she was approached by a family. The oldest member of the family, an elderly woman, began speaking to my mom but not in English. My mom tried to explain she couldn't understand anything this woman was saying. Then one of the other people begun to explain to my mom what happened. The elderly Woman only spoke the Eskimo language native to her people. When the Spirit of God come upon my mom she had begun to speak about Jesus Christ and all the wonderful things about him in this Eskimo language. This woman thought my mom must speak the language. After a minute everything was explained to the woman, whom just wanted to be in the house of God. The only church for her to come to was ours, as she was far from home visiting family.

This story is 100% true. We never know what someone else might have experienced with God. To my mom, it was just praying in tongues as she had done countless times before. To this other woman, it was a touch from God. We just don't know, which is why I try to advise to be cautious with this subject. Just because it may sound like jibberish to some, doesn't mean it is. I apologize to you if I upset you with my response. God bless

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

5 hours ago, KiwiChristian said:

Acts, only 2 groups spoke in tongues:

Not every one receives tongues at salvation, in fact there are some who are saved and never received tongues, died and went to Heaven.

But nevertheless, the baptism of the Holy Ghost is still for every one.

Act 2:39
(39)  For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

• Thumbs Up 2

And maybe in some cases some of the other groups may have spoken in tongues, but just it not being recorded.

Who knows.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2017 at 4:27 AM, GApeach678 said:

About 7 months ago I was laying down and praying in the back of my truck and I had my first experience with tongues in my entire 5 year Christian walk... all of a sudden my tongue started to ''roll'' in my mouth and my jaw started making strange movements... then I just blurted out tongues for about 5-10 seconds and that was it. I had never done it before that or even desired to.

About a week ago I prayed for the gift of tongues but didn't think too much about it. Today, while I was praying out loud regularly, I started talking with a lisp... and for a few minutes I started sticking my tongue out of my mouth, unable to speak clearly, almost spitting everywhere, I had no idea what was going on... then the praying in tongues came out again, this time for over 20 minutes.

Do I have the gift of tongues? Or are these just random occurrences? What was your experience with tongues like? I can't do it on command, it seems to be only spirit led... Is this normal?

Some will tell you that you cannot have the gift of tongues because God promised to end all spiritual gifts just as soon as the Apostle John died. Which of course is a totally made up doctrine.

So whether or not you do or do not actually have the gift of tongues - has nothing at all to do with making stuff up like that.

Now the question is -- what is the Bible definition for the gift of tongues.  In Acts 2 it is clearly known languages that other people know but you did not take the time to learn.

That is irrefutable.

What about 1 Cor 14? In 1 Cor 14 Tongues "is a sign to non-believers" -- so then just as in Acts 2 -- when non-believers saw the gift of tongues and that it resulted in clear communication in their own native language which the Jews in Jerusalem were not likely to know -- it was "a sign" to unbelievers". At no point in your description above do you claim to have this.

Acts 2, is no doubt talking about an other tongue that the person does not know, but someone else does, these do not need interpretation usually , but in the case of Corinthians it is unknown tongues, which right now I will leave at that.

Edited by Giller

Some Christians want a shortcut to power with God by speaking in tongues, slaying in the spirit or healing, but they lose Bible based authority for an experience based authority.

They get mixed up with shallow churches, false doctrines and worldly entertainment.

Tongues was a warning to Israel and ceased in 70AD with the destruction of Jerusalem.

The modern tongues movement is not of God and should be rejected as unbiblical.

“Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not.”

I Corinthians 4:22. Therefore, tongues are a sign for unbelievers, NOT for believers.

'When that (Greek: To Teleion) which is perfect is come”.

The pronoun “THAT” in Greek, describing the perfect, is neuter. The Bible is neuter. This fits the context perfectly. Christ is masculine, not neuter, so “that which is perfect’ cannot refer to Christ

Edited by KiwiChristian