Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

When it comes to sins in the Church, sexual immortality, idolatry,  gossip, stealing/defrauding, and others sins seem to get prime place (and for good reason). But there is a sleeper sin that almost unamously gets ignored or passed over in comparision, that is gluttony. Obesity is becoming a major problem on the West and partly because its considered venial or not as bad as others sins. From pastors to plump movie stars like Queen Latifah )who actially now lost tons of weight) to a barrage of commercials designed to manipulate your taste buds and mind to eat, gluttony is the sleeper sim with a sycthe that is slaying people. 

Gluttony really became a concern in 3-6th centuries as ascetics wanting to master their passions decided to add the sin to Seven Deadly Sins. The problem with gluttony or food based overeating sin is that it is a sin attatched not only to a need on life which is to eat to stay alive but it is pleasurable. Food realses chemicals in the brain like dopamine that make people feel relaxed and peaceful, that is why stress eating (eating while under duress and stress) is common which leads to gluttony and obesity and premature death if not kept in check. 

Part of the prpblem is the Church doesn't widely dissaprove of overeating. Obesity and gluttony is usually met with pity or it os totally ignored. The problem is gluttony isn't much different to alcholism, cigarettes, and even certian drugs on the body. Over indulging on food can fill the blood vessels and artieriws with plaque which can lead to heart attacks, stroke, and massive coronary.  

Before anyone says there is not Biblical evidence of mastering gluttony let mecdraw your attention to these verses: 

"Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags." -Proverbs 23:20-21

"And put a knife to your throat if you are given to appetite." -Proverbs 23:2

"For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags." -Proverbs 23:21

"They tested God in their heart by demanding the food they craved." -Pslams 78:18

"But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." -Romans 13:14

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." -1 corinthians 6:19

"No one hates his own body but feeds and cares for it, just as Christ cares for the church." -Ephesians 5:29

"And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’" -Deurtronomy 21:20

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." - Romans 12:1

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." - Galatians 5:22-23

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did an abomination before me. So I removed them, when I saw." -Ezekiel 16:49-50

"But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” (Matthew 4:4)

"One of the Cretans, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.” - Titus 1:12

"Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work." - John 4:34

"Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God." -  2 Corinthians 7:1

"That no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal." -Hebrews 12:16

"The one who keeps the law is a son with understanding, but a companion of gluttons shames his father." -Proverbs 28:7

"Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things." -Philippians 3:19

"But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap." -Luke 21:34

"What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”" -  1 Corinthians 15:32

"And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear." -Deuteronomy 21:20-21

Article to read about the origins of gluttony and thoughts: 

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/september4/3.62.html

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

20 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Part of the prpblem is the Church doesn't widely dissaprove of overeating

We can not depend on the church to keep us in line so to say. There is simply a whole list of things in the world that can be and are consider to be sin. I do not think we should fault the church for not preaching  against everything that can be a sin. It is my feelings that if the church is teaching  the basic teaching of God's word, and teaching one how to follow the teachings of Christ,how to  personally seek God's will in one's life, how to listen to the  Holy Spirit to guild us. Doing these things will take care of most or maybe even all other things.   God will direct our paths and how we should go. If we only learn to listen. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

We can't always point our finger at someone who is over weight and say it is from over eating. There are a number of reasons besides gluttony that can put weight on a person such as health problems, medications.

Question: "Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?"

Answer:
Gluttony seems to be a sin that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins, but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated. Many of the arguments used against smoking and drinking, such as health and addiction, apply equally to overeating. Many believers would not even consider having a glass of wine or smoking a cigarette but have no qualms about gorging themselves at the dinner table. This should not be!

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Physical appetites are an analogy of our ability to control ourselves. If we are unable to control our eating habits, we are probably also unable to control other habits, such as those of the mind (lust, covetousness, anger) and unable to keep our mouths from gossip or strife. We are not to let our appetites control us, but we are to have control over our appetites. (See Deuteronomy 21:20, Proverbs 23:2, 2 Peter 1:5-7, 2 Timothy 3:1-9, and 2 Corinthians 10:5.) The ability to say “no” to anything in excess—self-control—is one of the fruits of the Spirit common to all believers (Galatians 5:22).

God has blessed us by filling the earth with foods that are delicious, nutritious, and pleasurable. We should honor God's creation by enjoying these foods and by eating them in appropriate quantities. God calls us to control our appetites, rather than allowing them to control us.

https://www.gotquestions.org/gluttony-sin.html

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

This is a huge area of weakness for me. I find that when I am most likely to eat unhealthy foods impulsively or over eat is when I am emotionally distraught, in physical pain, or struggling spiritually. My assumption is that I am self-medicating with food, rather than seeking God's comfort and healthy, righteous solutions to my problems. Also my sons and I have some difficulties in our lives, both as a family and as individuals. There's not a lot I can do about it, but I can get food for us; food is a lame compensation that I fall back on when I don't know what to do. 

I think that gluttony is a hard thing to deal with within the church because food is so much a part of our culture. There's lots of things we can't fix, but we can eat and we can feed others. It's also a social thing. When one is doing something others are compelled to also, either directly or indirectly. We live in a society that has easy access to food, and an abundance of it. It also feels very uncomfortable to confront a sin that is being committed by loving and kind people, whom you respect and are told by scripture to love and defer to, especially when so many of us struggle with the same thing or something similar. LIke, how can the nicotine addict tell the glutton to not eat so much? How can an alcoholic tell a smoker to kick their nicotine habit? How can the glutton tell a druggie they are defiling the temple of the Holy Spirit? How do we stop the madness as a group, when most of us are failing as individuals?

I think the solution is this:

We all need humble spirits and accountability and a realization that we are all in this together. We can help each other without harshly criticising each other or getting offended when we ourselves are confronted and held accountable, or we can all fail together. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jam2b40 said:

This is a huge area of weakness for me. I find that when I am most likely to eat unhealthy foods impulsively or over eat is when I am emotionally distraught, in physical pain, or struggling spiritually. My assumption is that I am self-medicating with food, rather than seeking God's comfort and healthy, righteous solutions to my problems. Also my sons and I have some difficulties in our lives, both as a family and as individuals. There's not a lot I can do about it, but I can get food for us; food is a lame compensation that I fall back on when I don't know what to do. 

I think that gluttony is a hard thing to deal with within the church because food is so much a part of our culture. There's lots of things we can't fix, but we can eat and we can feed others. It's also a social thing. When one is doing something others are compelled to also, either directly or indirectly. We live in a society that has easy access to food, and an abundance of it. It also feels very uncomfortable to confront a sin that is being committed by loving and kind people, whom you respect and are told by scripture to love and defer to, especially when so many of us struggle with the same thing or something similar. LIke, how can the nicotine addict tell the glutton to not eat so much? How can an alcoholic tell a smoker to kick their nicotine habit? How can the glutton tell a druggie they are defiling the temple of the Holy Spirit? How do we stop the madness as a group, when most of us are failing as individuals?

I think the solution is this:

We all need humble spirits and accountability and a realization that we are all in this together. We can help each other without harshly criticising each other or getting offended when we ourselves are confronted and held accountable, or we can all fail together. 

I sympathize with your struggle. Please let no one think I intend this thread to be a "fat shaming" topic. I am merely pointing out that overeating isn't a priority for reform and repentance (turn from sin) and turn to Christ. As you said its "self medicating" one can do that with almost anything, but food as you said is tricky it is something we have to do (eat) and its major in all cultures for bonding (feasts). The problem is that overeating as you said is taking place of Alpha and Omega in comfort, for Jesus said, "And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." (Luke 10:27). All your heart, soul, strength, and mind is appetites and food; because your mind tells you your hungry, your distressed soul says eat, and your strength is effected by being overweight or overeating. 

My concern is that Church is quick to denounce and offer help for drugs, alcoholism, sexaholicism, cigarettes, and more; but overeating isn't on the list, even though it and all of those save sex, is substance abuses (using substances that chemically alter the brain for coping with life, and food does do this, it releases dopamine and happy feelings). 

This is not a guilt people who glut, but a wake up call on sleeper killer in the Church that is taking pastors, lay people, and others early with heart attacks, massive coronaries, and other physical problems. 

If you would like, make this a place to talk about the struggle with food. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Days Won:  21

I don't think it's a sin that the church necessarily ignores, however I think it's the sin the church is fearful to address. It so easily borders on the line of becoming more hurtful than helpful. You'd never want to push someone away with hurtful remarks and so I think many pulpits just don't address it at all rather than run the risk of emotionally injuring someone who's struggling in their congregation. Is that a correct practice? probably not. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Fidei Defensor,

I didn't take offense. I agree with you. I just wanted to chime in as someone who struggles with this particular sin. It is a huge concern. 

I think anyone who feels "fat shamed" by honest, respectful, conversation about gluttony is not quite ready to deal with it openly. It's a hard topic, but it has to be talked about.

Edited by Jam2b40

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

7 hours ago, LadyKay said:

We can not depend on the church to keep us in line so to say. There is simply a whole list of things in the world that can be and are consider to be sin. I do not think we should fault the church for not preaching  against everything that can be a sin. It is my feelings that if the church is teaching  the basic teaching of God's word, and teaching one how to follow the teachings of Christ,how to  personally seek God's will in one's life, how to listen to the  Holy Spirit to guild us. Doing these things will take care of most or maybe even all other things.   God will direct our paths and how we should go. If we only learn to listen. 

Amen LadyKay !

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

8 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

When it comes to sins in the Church, sexual immortality, idolatry,  gossip, stealing/defrauding, and others sins seem to get prime place (and for good reason). But there is a sleeper sin that almost unamously gets ignored or passed over in comparision, that is gluttony. Obesity is becoming a major problem on the West and partly because its considered venial or not as bad as others sins. From pastors to plump movie stars like Queen Latifah )who actially now lost tons of weight) to a barrage of commercials designed to manipulate your taste buds and mind to eat, gluttony is the sleeper sim with a sycthe that is slaying people. 

Gluttony really became a concern in 3-6th centuries as ascetics wanting to master their passions decided to add the sin to Seven Deadly Sins. The problem with gluttony or food based overeating sin is that it is a sin attatched not only to a need on life which is to eat to stay alive but it is pleasurable. Food realses chemicals in the brain like dopamine that make people feel relaxed and peaceful, that is why stress eating (eating while under duress and stress) is common which leads to gluttony and obesity and premature death if not kept in check. 

Part of the prpblem is the Church doesn't widely dissaprove of overeating. Obesity and gluttony is usually met with pity or it os totally ignored. The problem is gluttony isn't much different to alcholism, cigarettes, and even certian drugs on the body. Over indulging on food can fill the blood vessels and artieriws with plaque which can lead to heart attacks, stroke, and massive coronary.  

Before anyone says there is not Biblical evidence of mastering gluttony let mecdraw your attention to these verses: 

"Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Provebs 23:20-21

And put a knife to your throat if you are given to appetite. -Proverbs 23:2

"For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags." -Proverbs 23:21

They tested God in their heart by demanding the food they craved. -Pslams 78:18

"But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." -Romans 13:14

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. -1 corinthians 6:19

No one hates his own body but feeds and cares for it, just as Christ cares for the church. -Ephesians 5:29

"And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’" -Deurtronomy 21:20

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." - Romans 12:1

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." - Galatians 5:22-23

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did an abomination before me. So I removed them, when I saw." -Ezekiel 16:49-50

"But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” (Matthew 4:4)

"One of the Cretans, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.” - Titus 1:12

"Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work." - John 4:34

"Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God." -  2 Corinthians 7:1

"That no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal." -Hebrews 12:16

"The one who keeps the law is a son with understanding, but a companion of gluttons shames his father." -Proverbs 28:7

"Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things." -Philippians 3:19

"But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap." -Luke 21:34

"What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”" -  1 Corinthians 15:32

"And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear." -Deuteronomy 21:20-21

Article to read:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/september4/3.62.html

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. Col.2:16

• “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.) He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile a person” Mark 7:18-23

“The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them” (Romans 14:3).

…whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ” 1 Corinthians 10:31-11:1).

“…the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned” (Matthew 12:34-37).

Ones we were all sinners and on our way to hell until Jesus came who set the captives free and it is only by grace that we are saved and not by anything we do..

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, Luke 4:18

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- Eph. 2:8

1 hour ago, angels4u said:

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. Col.2:16

• “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.) He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile a person” Mark 7:18-23

“The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them” (Romans 14:3).

…whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ” 1 Corinthians 10:31-11:1).

“…the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned” (Matthew 12:34-37).

Ones we were all sinners and on our way to hell until Jesus came who set the captives free and it is only by grace that we are saved and not by anything we do..

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, Luke 4:18

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- Eph. 2:8

I see you are coming from angle that Christ has paid it all and that is true; and we are under Grace. I am not saying gluttony keeps you out of heaven (I can't find it in the lists like Revelation 21:8). I am saying however, it can prematurely send you home to heaven, just as suicide does. And that this struggle with food is something many battle. Another side of this to look at is not just premature death, but rather quality of life. Does it help or hinder Jesus' call on our life to be overweight? What if he says go and hike in Congo to reach a tribe for Him? But you are then 400lbs? Worse, how does it look to world when we are preaching the Word (Jesus) and we overweight and they are not? Does this hinder our ministry? I think it does, and I say so from a place of struggling with food. 

By the way the verses you quote about all food goes through intestines and Jesus made all food clean (Mark 7:13-23, Romans 14:3) is in direct context of Levitical Law, and that Jesus and Apostles said we no longer have to observe strict laws about what we can or cannot eat to be holy [and shun the Gentiles and their food is no longer necessary because everyone can come to God through the God Man Jesus Christ Acts 15:9-11]. That was not free license to destroy our bodies with endless feasting and binge eating. In context, I am talking about overeating where it effects your health, and marginalizes your ministry to others; lets be honest are you going to approach a person who has unkept hair, torn clothing (like a Hobo) and is overweight or are you going to approach someone who has kept their hair in good order, wear modest but good clothes, and is not obese nor is skeleton weight anorexic? This isn't a question to demean, but to discern the heart. We say "its alright come as you are," and yet what do we surround ourselves with or expect? Perfection. Hmm.. discrepancy that. 

I can tell this topic is uncomfortable, but you know what Jesus sometimes makes us uncomfortable, "Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent." (Jesus, Revelation 3:19), "5And you have forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, or lose heart when He rebukes you, For the Lord disciplines whom He loves, and He scourges (chastens, punishes) every son whom He receives," (Hebrews 12:5-6), "To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands. But I have this complaint against you. You don't love me or each other as you did at first!Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place." (Revelation 2:1,4-5), "48 But if that servant is evil and says in his heart, ‘My master is taking his time [he will not return for a long while],’ 49 and begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards; 50 the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour of which he is not aware, 51 and will cut him in two and put him with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping [over sorrow and pain] and grinding of teeth [over distress and anger]," (Matthew 24:48-51), gnashing/grinding of teeth is hell, "and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 13:42). 

I appreciate you are trying to emphasis we serve a loving (1 John 4:8) and merciful God. I totally agree. I do not want to represent Christ as severe, especially with so many being enslaved to severe baal named Allah. However, there is tension in Scripture. There is we are saved by Grace and Faith (Ephesians 2:8-9, Philippians 3:9), and when Jesus says to those who think they are saved by works and who did all this good in His name but did not know Him, "Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. 22 On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws," (Matthew 7:21-23), which is Ginosko (know God in person experientially way), " And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth." (John 17:3). So from what you are trying to do is avoid anything from becoming the law and salvation in it because then a person gets cut off from Christ (Galatians 5:4), however, I am not saying Gluttony (overeating, spending lots of money of expensive foods instead of helping those who need food), is a sin that is harming people's lives, but is not going to keep you out of heaven. 

I preface again, from what I can tell gluttony is not sin that leads to hell, but can prematurely kill you or at least hinder your life and ministry. 

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Thumbs Up 1