• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Style is only the vehicle that carries the passengers (words). The style means little to me but the words are a biggie in worship as they eclare the direction of worship.

For example, if the words are all about self and how the Lord needs to touch us, feel us, breathe on us and hold us,.. that strikes me as narcissistic pablum in comparison to words that remind me of His great Sacrifice at Calvary freeing us to worship Him and Him alone.

Let that be said again.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Style is only the vehicle that carries the passengers (words). The style means little to me but the words are a biggie in worship as they eclare the direction of worship.

For example, if the words are all about self and how the Lord needs to touch us, feel us, breathe on us and hold us,.. that strikes me as narcissistic pablum in comparison to words that remind me of His great Sacrifice at Calvary freeing us to worship Him and Him alone.

and now we see the problem at its root.    IF the worship points to us..................FLEE.   IF it points to GOD alone and glorifies Him.    SOAK IT UP.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

just gate crashing with a thread i started a while back. i thought maybe folk might be interested. hope you dont mind bit cheeky i know!

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/214882-testing-music-in-the-church-tim-wirth-sandy-simpson/

Testing Music In The Church - Tim Wirth & Sandy Simpson

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Does anyone know the psychological effect (certain) music has on the frontal lobe 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51

On 12/17/2017 at 9:59 AM, brakelite said:

Such musicians in those days that used their former worldly rock talents for evangelism...such as Larry Norman, Barry McGuire, Keith Green etc...God used and 'winked' at the means because they sincerely brought a powerful message to a new generation of people. But when such music entered the churches on a regular basis forming the foundation of 'worship'b then was the profane mixed with the holy.

I cant remember....who is that guy who did Spirit in the Sky? I like that one. And I like Mister Mister's Kyrie Elieson. 

Normally I dont even like rock music at all, not even as a kid oddly enough but those two I like.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

On 19/10/2017 at 11:28 AM, missmuffet said:

I have never experienced a light show. :noidea:

I have.

It was on par with  a disco/club setting.

T'was different!

I went to one where musical instruments included washboard and "spoons".

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, HisFirst said:

I have.

T'was different!

:blink:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

On 10/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, pogi said:

Who do some churches have the idea that the LOUDER the music the closer to God they will be? I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service? I have stopped going to 3 churches over the years because their music was too loud. There was one church my wife and I use to go to that gave out ear plugs for everyone to use. I am serious do these churches think they are closer to God when they play their music so loud? 

What is with the light shows churches have now -- I feel some churches are turning the service into a mini - concert. The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

OK, I know I did not ask ONE Question -- Give me a service where they Preach the word of God USING the Bible and sing bible hymns, and you can keep your light shows and loud concert music  

All churches need to understand that the Gospel is not about louder or lower volumes or stuff.

The more they provide ways to understand and stick to the Gospel, the better the Spirit will operate.

"When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart."

We can have the greatest singers in the world, or the worst ones, but if we don't provide understanding, the Gospel doesn't spread.

"But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

Edited by listener24
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

On 31/12/2017 at 9:34 AM, HisFirst said:

I have.

T'was different!

ah disco's showing your age there lol

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 10/18/2017 at 5:48 PM, pogi said:

Who do some churches have the idea that the LOUDER the music the closer to God they will be? I admit I do not know the Bible word for word, so is there a place in the Bible that States you have to play music so loud you can hear it 5 miles away to be close to God during service? I have stopped going to 3 churches over the years because their music was too loud. There was one church my wife and I use to go to that gave out ear plugs for everyone to use. I am serious do these churches think they are closer to God when they play their music so loud? 

What is with the light shows churches have now -- I feel some churches are turning the service into a mini - concert. The last church my wife and I went to when she was not working Sundays had loud music and a light show. It did not bother my wife even though she did not think it was necessary -- we stopped going because the service hurt my ears and eyes. 

OK, I know I did not ask ONE Question -- Give me a service where they Preach the word of God USING the Bible and sing bible hymns, and you can keep your light shows and loud concert music  

I'm in my mid-twenties, the type of person this music is supposed to attract. However, between feeling that it's absolutely irreverent and suffering migraines from the light and sound, I actually left a church mainly because of this issue. There's a "worship team" up at the front that screams out indecipherable words while the "audience" (the church actually called the congregation an audience) stands and watches - doesn't even sing.

The next church I attended was the exact opposite. No lights, no worship team. Not even any instruments. We sang acappella hymns from hymnbooks with only a "song leader" beating time. It was beautiful, reverent and peaceful. 

Now I'm not against instruments in church but I do think that they should always be an aid to worship. The congregation should be the ones to sing, not a choir or worship team. If worship is overpowered by noise that's meant to appeal to the senses, who are we singing to?