LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

At my church. If a women request that she be prayed with. The pastor will ask for the women of the church to gather around her and pray for her. If a man ask for prayer. The pastor will ask that the men of the church gather around him and pray for him. I have been wondering why it is separate? Why not just ask anyone who is willing to come can pray with this man or this women? Instead of the women pray with the women and men pray with the men? I am not going to argue about what is right or what is wrong. I just want to know if other churches do this and if there is a reason for it. I just find it interesting that my church, which I would describe as being a bit modern. Follows this tradition.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

7 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

At my church. If a women request that she be prayed with. The pastor will ask for the women of the church to gather around her and pray for her. If a man ask for prayer. The pastor will ask that the men of the church gather around him and pray for him. I have been wondering why it is separate? Why not just ask anyone who is willing to come can pray with this man or this women? Instead of the women pray with the women and men pray with the men? I am not going to argue about what is right or what is wrong. I just want to know if other churches do this and if there is a reason for it. I just find it interesting that my church, which I would describe as being a bit modern. Follows this tradition.

I do not think that men and women need to be segregated in prayer. I have a very good male friend who I pray with. I do not know about the Church atmosphere since I do not belong to a Church.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,148
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

In our church everyone prays for everyone......  men women

and kids

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Days Won:  21

45 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I think YOWM makes a good point. They typically practice this in my church as well. I think it's more for a protection standpoint. The motives of some are not always pure and will utilize anything, including prayer, to take advantage of the situation.  We have cooperate prayer where we all gather together and pray, but for specific needs (when someone asks to be prayed over or have hands laid on them) we do encourage that the men folk pray with the men and the lady folks with the ladies. 

8 minutes ago, TheAimes said:

I think YOWM makes a good point. They typically practice this in my church as well. I think it's more for a protection standpoint. The motives of some are not always pure and will utilize anything, including prayer, to take advantage of the situation.  We have cooperate prayer where we all gather together and pray, but for specific needs (when someone asks to be prayed over or have hands laid on them) we do encourage that the men folk pray with the men and the lady folks with the ladies. 

You know. I never think of things like that. I can see now how things could become an issue. With all the laying on hands stuff. LOL ! 

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.76
  • Days Won:  21

3 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

You know. I never think of things like that. I can see now how things could become an issue. With all the laying on hands stuff. LOL ! 

Or you could be like me and just prefer no one lays their hands on me. I've always found it to be very uncomfortable. I know it's in the Bible but I would much prefer to not have that, just pray with me, don't have to touch me. LOL

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

This is exactly what we do in our Church. We are a small Church and most of us know each other personally very well. So there are occasions when a male might feel it is better to lay hands on female for prayer and vice-versa. But let's say there is someone who is a bit new, it would not happen. Yowm makes a very good point. It also has to do with comfort feeling of the person. For example, I am very sure my wife would not be comfortable when men lay hands on her, whom she does not know very well.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, ravindran said:

This is exactly what we do in our Church. We are a small Church and most of us know each other personally very well. So there are occasions when a male might feel it is better to lay hands on female for prayer and vice-versa. But let's say there is someone who is a bit new, it would not happen. Yowm makes a very good point. It also has to do with comfort feeling of the person. For example, I am very sure my wife would not be comfortable when men lay hands on her, whom she does not know very well.

I have never experienced any one laying hands on me to pray. I would not be comfortable with that. Men staying with the men and women staying with the women is more like an Amish tradition.

4 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I have never experienced any one laying hands on me to pray. I would not be comfortable with that.

It has always been that way in my church and happens almost every Sunday. We form a chain.  Laying your hand on the person next to you who then has their hand on the person asking for prayer. It is very interesting to learn how other churches do things. 

Guest shiloh357

Cross-gender ministry in this day and age is not a good idea.  We live in a very, very over-sexed culture and sexual predators go to church.  That's one of the most target rich environments for them.