IGNORED

What to think of claim that "Christianity is not a religion"?

LPTSTR

Is christianity a religion?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is christianity a religion?

• Yes
    • No

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hi!

Recently I have ran into people who say that "Christianity is not a religion". When you google this claim you will find multiple blogs/posts on that. When I did my research to find out what religion is I found many things in Christianity are also present in religion. People who say that Christianity is not a religion point out that religion tells people what to do in order to reach God but in Christianity God has already done everything for us Himself. Some say that it's not a religion because it's simply loving Jesus. Since I find any good answer to that my self I decided to create poll to see what other Christians say.

Below I  point out some religious things I found to be true for Christianity also (source: Wikipedia).

Religion is any cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, ethics, or organizations, that relate humanity to the supernatural or transcendental.

Designated behaviors - 10 commandments
world views - Christians are right, others go hell

Different religions may or may not contain various elements ranging from the divine,[4] sacred things,[5] faith,[6] a supernatural being or supernatural beings[7] or "some sort of ultimacy and transcendence that will provide norms and power for the rest of life".[8] Religious practices may include rituals, sermons, commemoration or veneration (of deities), sacrifices, festivals, feasts, trances, initiations, funerary services, matrimonial services, meditation, prayer, music, art, dance, public service, or other aspects of human culture.

faith, supernatural being, prayer, music,  public service  - Christianity has it too

Religions have sacred histories and narratives, which may be preserved in sacred scriptures, and symbols and holy places, that aim mostly to give a meaning to life.

Christianity has the Bible which gives the meaning for our life - to glorify God.

Based on that I would conclude that Christianity is  a religion. It's just different for it's grace and that God has already done everything but I would still call it a religion.

Whats your opinion? Why or why not is Christianty a religion?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

I think that a genuine Christianity is more a relationship with Christ than a religion. Even Mormonism is considered a religion.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

10 minutes ago, Yowm said:

It's not in the societal sense.

Christianity embraces a Crucified and now Risen Savior. The religious trappings are just frosting on the cake and sometimes are just that...trappings, blinding one's eyes to a living relationship to LIFE Himself, Jesus Christ.

Yep. Christianity is a relationship with the risen Christ, not a religion in the world's sense.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Religion is man's attempt to reach God through a system of doctrine, beliefs, and rules while Christianity is about God reaching down to mankind out of His great love for us by His atoning sacrifice on the cross. Religion is seen as mankind striving to earn God's favor to earn salvation. Religion can not reach God no matter how righteous. God is holy, divine, and righteous. There is NO one or religion that can earn there way to heaven. It is simply impossible. So, out of God's sacrificial and gracious love He came to us and provided us salvation.

We confuse Christianity with being a religion because there are many religions who believe in Christ and are therefore classified as a "Christian religion." (i.e. Catholicism, Jehovahs Witness, Mormons etc...) However, practically speaking, Christianity has a key difference that separates it from other belief systems that are considered religions. That difference is relationship.

Christianity is a relationship that God has established with us.  In Christianity, God is the instigator and man is the beneficiary (Romans 8:3). The Bible states clearly that there is nothing man can do to make himself right with God (Isaiah 53:6; 64:6; Romans 3:23; 6:23). According to Christianity, God did for us what we cannot do for ourselves (Colossians 2:13; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Our sin separates us from His presence, and sin must be punished (Romans 6:23; Matthew 10:28; 23:33). But, because God loves us, He took our punishment upon Himself. All we must do is accept God’s gift of salvation through faith (Ephesians 2:8–9; 2 Corinthians 5:21).

This is seen as "Grace" it is God’s blessing on the undeserving. This grace based relationship between God and man is the foundation of Christianity and the antithesis of religion. Grace and Peace!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Christianity is based upon a relationship with Christ very simply put. Most if not all religions require works or be done to gain favor with God or whatever god they feel they are trying to please. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, missmuffet said:

I think that a genuine Christianity is more a relationship with Christ than a religion. Even Mormonism is considered a religion.

What about having to keep 10 commandments, having to go church, having to pray, having to believe? Is this not what religion also has?

Just now, Yowm said:

sometimes are just that...trappings, blinding one's eyes

Could you be more specific please? I mean point our what you exactly mean by trappings and blinding? Do you have some manipulation tactics in mind that Christianity doesn't use or what?

Just now, walla299 said:

Yep. Christianity is a relationship with the risen Christ, not a religion in the world's sense.

True, but from the other hand, if you continue to live in willful sin you can still go to hell so some sort of repentance is still required in order to get to heaven. Also Bible tells you must believe in God. Religion also often has believing in God.

Just now, Gentle Heart said:

Religion is man's attempt to reach God through a system of doctrine, beliefs, and rules

Could you find any sources that support this idea? And that there is no other religion where God reached down to man?

Catholicism, Jehovahs Witness, Mormons

Ok, that makes understanding more difficult for me. If Christianity is not a religion why are these religion then? I have heard that JWs and Mormons are wrong way. But Catholicism should be pretty similar to Christianity except that hey have some extra books and praying to saints and Mary and angels.

That difference is relationship.

Yes, it's different but is it only relationship? Isnt it religion also? Like believing that God exists (believing in something supernatural) and doing what Bible tells us to do?

What makes you say that it is not a religion and no that it's just different religion?

Just now, Jaydog1976 said:

Most if not all religions require works or be done to gain favor with God or whatever god they feel they are trying to please. 

But if I stop reading the bible, going to church, praying, seeking God and so on. If I stop doing  all Christian activities, I can still end up in hell even after accepting Christ and maybe even being a Christian for a few days. So in that sense I still need to do some works, I still need to abide in Him. You say we do it out of love but from the other hand if we dont do these at all anymore we can end up in hell according to my understanding. There is even verses like if we dont abide in Him we will be cut off and thrown in fire. It's not that I accept Christ and now live however I want because Christ will forgive. Something still must  change - some works must be done.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Religion is defined as:

1) the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

2) a particular system of faith and worship.

The bible states:

James 1

26 If anyone thinks to be religious among you, yet does not bridle his tongue, but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is vain.
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit orphans and widows in their afflictions, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Yes it is a personal relationship, how you stand with Christ, and that is the only way to be saved, but it is indeed a religion too. To say its not and claim that its only a relationship is Christianese speak and confuses folks. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,227
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1 hour ago, ayin jade said:

Religion is defined as:

1) the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

2) a particular system of faith and worship.

The bible states:

James 1

26 If anyone thinks to be religious among you, yet does not bridle his tongue, but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is vain.
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit orphans and widows in their afflictions, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Yes it is a personal relationship, how you stand with Christ, and that is the only way to be saved, but it is indeed a religion too. To say its not and claim that its only a relationship is Christianese speak and confuses folks. 

Don't need to say a thing .... a perfect answer :thumbsup: 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

There are further societal definitions of religion and to admit to those definitions would confuse folks as well, such as...

"a belief incorporating certain rites, traditions and rituals exercised by certain sects."

This is a common perception.

So yes, terms must be defined.

I's good you pointed this out. It's certainly one thing that makes Christianity different. It's useful to point this out when talking about Christianity.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,623
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Of course pure religion is practiced by Christians. If the saint in Christ Jesus practices the faith of Jesus, he then helps both orphans and widows, and keeps himself unstained from the world. That is pure religion*.  

The saint is to be holy as God is Holy. The saint is to do the work of Christ Jesus who is God the son and savior of all that believe on Him as Lord God and personal savior in whom there is no fault and by who all that come to God the Father. 

Christianity is religion, that is  what each saint is born again into by the call of God the Holy Spirit, each born again to the bowing before Jesus as Lord in spiritual knowledge gained by the Holy Spirit. Each saint being newly born into the doing the will of God  the Father. Christianity is the religion of the Trinity, acknowledging the triune nature of God, giving all credit for personal eternal life, and being saved from individual destruction, by the atonement for sin, personal sin,  made by Jesus at the cross where He willingly took on the shame of the world so that many could be saved.

Yes of course Christianity is religion. It is the only truth that does not make it anything  else but religion, the one religion with truth and the only way to God the Father for anyone.

James - "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1