IGNORED

A Headcovering Question

Sanctum

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, Willa said:

The Hijab is probably what was worn in Paul's day in Corinth.  Nuns wore something similar for years.  But whatever makes you comfortable would be appropriate.  Our church emphasizes not calling attention to ourselves by what we wear.  So perhaps the customs of your new church should have some bearing.  And of course modesty is important.

No, the hijab dates to late as the 6th century AD when Islam came into existence.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Turning off the likes of Rosie O'Donnell and Oprah would give a woman more mileage in godliness than wearing a covering to Church.

Yeah, flee these two.     and never look back.   

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

6 hours ago, Davida said:

No.  They would have worn veils or tichels , in English we call them scarves.  Some misinformed may want to adopt Islamic words thinking that shows tolerance -that is not what it shows.  

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I also referred to nuns. Was not trying to be tolerant but to offer an idea about how all dressed 2017 years ago.  The point was that though out the middle east and Greece, it was the custom of "respectable" women to cover their heads when in public in those days.  Slaves and prostitutes were exempt.  This is not the norm in our present culture.  They were called veils in many translations of the Bible.  But they were not like what we consider a veil which we can see through.  The purpose was to hide the hair.  

"Veiling did not originate with the advent of Islam. Statuettes depicting veiled priestesses precede all major Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam), dating back as far as 2500 BCE.[53] Elite women in ancient Mesopotamia and in the Byzantine, Greek, and Persian empires wore the veil as a sign of respectability and high status.[54] In ancient Mesopotamia, Assyria had explicit sumptuary laws detailing which women must veil and which women must not, depending upon the woman's class, rank, and occupation in society.[54] Female slaves and prostitutes were forbidden to veil and faced harsh penalties if they did so.[5] Veiling was thus not only a marker of aristocratic rank, but also served to "differentiate between 'respectable' women and those who were publicly available".[5][54]

"Strict seclusion and the veiling of matrons were also customary in ancient Greece. Between 550 and 323 B.C.E, prior to Christianity, respectable women in classical Greek society were expected to seclude themselves and wear clothing that concealed them from the eyes of strange men.[55]"

There is archeological evidence suggesting that early Christian women in Rome covered their heads.[56] Writings of Tertullian indicate that a number of different customs of dress were associated with different cults to which early Christians belonged around 200 CE.[56] The best known early Christian view on veiling is the passage in 1 Corinithians (11:4-7), which states that "every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head"."  Wiki on history of hijab.

It was purely a custom that is no long practiced in the western world.  Most of this was abandoned due to women riding bicycles and participating in athletics.  Men's clothing changed over the years as well, as did the length of their hair.  

I didn't have to wear a scarf to demonstrate my deep respect for my late husband, or my submission to him.  But I do feel a bit vulnerable not having him as my covering and giving me direction.  Wearing something on my head would not take his place.  I still pray for direction, but did not realize how much I had depended on my husband.  We were a well oiled unit.  He leaves a big hole in my life.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

This doesn't have anything to do with love......God loves murderers but that doesn't mean He is pleased with their murdering.  We just need to go according to scripture, angels.........Paul said that he had no other practice in the churches.......that meant he didnt' consider it to be optional in church gatherings, and particularly for praying and prophesying.  Regarding head coverings outside of churches, I do not know, but Sanctums' whole thread has got me asking God about that.

1 Cor 11 teaches that headcovering should be practiced when we pray or prophesy. 1 Peter 3:15 says, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear."

That verse speaks of prophesying - speaking Christ. It's something that women don't generally do in church, but the Bible says we are to be ready to do it anytime. Also, to pray without ceasing. 

It's for this reason that I believe in wearing a covering at all times. I'm always ready to pray or prophesy, and it's a constant reminder of who I belong to.

• Praise God! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

8 hours ago, Sanctum said:

1 Cor 11 teaches that headcovering should be practiced when we pray or prophesy. 1 Peter 3:15 says, "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear."

That verse speaks of prophesying - speaking Christ. It's something that women don't generally do in church, but the Bible says we are to be ready to do it anytime. Also, to pray without ceasing. 

It's for this reason that I believe in wearing a covering at all times. I'm always ready to pray or prophesy, and it's a constant reminder of who I belong to.

Thank you Sanctum.  I only wish some of the men had more love when they talked about these things.......when they lack love it just creeps me out and makes me glad I'm a wilderness pilgrim.  I hate religion, it is so antichrist......unturned cakes of law that gets spewn in our faces.  It just shows how needful it is to have teaching about men's issues, but we never do.  In over thirty years of being a believer, I have never seen it, just lots of instruction for women, time and time again.  No wonder Christianity is in such a mess.  It's as though they keep putting all the responsibility on the women, to protect men from themselves, undistinguishable from pagan societies.  Yet the very fact that head coverings are needed for women... and the fact that we are more vulnerable....you would think it might occur to some of them at least why instruction for men is even more necessary in the churches if anything.  But I've never seen a thread or heard a sermon about men, how to love their wives and women in general etc.  Just loveless demands placed upon us as usual.......but thankfully I don't have to go their assemblies of such as those so it doesn't touch me.  Bless you for your words sister, I will keep it upon my heart.

Edited by Heleadethme
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The original purpose of head coverings were not to just keep females' devastatingly beautiful locks from the sights of lustful eyes... but also as a sign of submission to an authority.

A female (for her protection) as well as maintaining her reputation / purity would be under the authority of a male relative or guardian (father, brother, cousin, uncle) until betrothed and placed under the authority of her husband.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

11 minutes ago, Davida said:

False. Provide where the Bible teaches this.

The Apostle Paul cited the shame of men to pray with their heads covered and the shame of women to pray with their heads uncovered.

Unless you are willing to combine this with say 1 Timothy 2:9-13 as the reason for distinction, plus using ancient extrabiblical accounts of the signs of authority, then

you are hard pressed to determine what the heck Paul was speaking about.

This same apostle wrote Galatians 3:28 btw.

So, FALSE! Right back at ya!!!

4 hours ago, Davida said:

Many women wore hats or scarves or pinned something on their heads as was the traditional custom in many Christian Churches up until  somewhere in probably the late 70's the rcc decided it wasn't necessary and the tradition got dropped. 

And far worse the RCC decided JESUS aint necessary either.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Davida said:

As is Chrislam.

Chrislam as is interfaith as in the all inclusive mindset , they all have one father.  SATAN>

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Chrislam? That's the fiction that was made possible by Rick Warren. Who's son committed suicide not many years ago. God have mercy. 

I would not think Warren would dare venture to Saudi Arabia, or Iran , and try to minister that bunch of silliness there. He'd very likely be checking his head at baggage claim in very short order. 

What makes a pastor of the true word turn like that? The Quran of Islam is very clear when it says Allah begat no son. 
Whereas Christians know God's only begotten son died to save the world. 

• Thumbs Up 2