• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  479
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

In the beginning in Genesis.

God "blessed the seventh day and sanctified it".

Tell me please, where it became un-blessed and un-sanctified.

What law did Jesus teach from. The OT law? Or Mans law?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.96
  • Days Won:  21

Just now, Davida said:

Oh gee , this is an example of misapplying scriptures by taking them out of context- & trying to make them support your biased view.  It is very much like trying to fit a round peg into a square hole & smacking it aggressively with a mallet trying to make it fit -- but it doesn't. 

Suit yourself. The early church kept the Sabbath - only your RCC and later Reformers stuck to the roman pagan days where they 'changed times and seasons'.

I would be very careful to not tell people to do away with the Sabbath, the Law and the Commandments. Dangerous ground that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

Just now, MyLordsServant said:

Tell me clearly and plainly.

1) Did Jesus teach how to keep the Sabbath?

or 

2) Did Jesus teach against keeping the Sabbath?

Jesus was keeping the law as a Jew. He kept it perfect and became the lamb of God without spot. He taught to keep the sabbath with mercy. But once he died and rose from the dead. He gave the holy spirit to all who  believe in his name. They ate under a new covenant. The sabbath is not commanded now. We dont live by the ten commandments. But by Jesus commandments in the new testament. He said love one another as i loved you. And you will bear fruit. But shadows are not needed.

In reading Paul’s writings, many people focus on certain scriptures, while ignoring how those scriptures relate to the rest of what Paul wrote.  Yet, the real test of doctrinal soundness is agreement with all the scriptures on a given subject---not just a few scriptures taken out of context.

Let’s now consider scriptures written by Paul which clearly show his strong endorsement of God’s law:

“…the doers of the law will be justified,” said Paul  (Rom.2:13).

“Do we then make void the law through faith?   Certainly not!” said Paul  (Rom.3:31).

“…by the law is the knowledge of sin,” said Paul  (Rom.3:20).

“…the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good…the law is spiritual,” said Paul  (Rom.7: 12,14).

“For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man,” said Paul (Rom.7:22).

“…with the mind I myself serve the law of God,” said Paul  (Rom.7:25).

“Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters,” said Paul  (I Cor.7:19).

“For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work,” warned Paul  (II Thess.2:7).   And why would Paul warn about lawlessness, if he thought that the law had been done away?!

“Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ,” said Paul  (I Cor.11:1).   Yes, Paul---Apostle to the Gentiles---imitated Christ, and instructs us to do likewise!   So, since we are to imitate Christ---and Christ lived in obedience to God’s law ---then that clearly means that we too are to obey God’s spiritual law.

Paul likewise said, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus”  (Philip.2:5).   And he continues, in verse 8, explaining what kind of mind Christ had---a mind that was “obedient to the point of death.”

Paul speaks of those who break specific commandments in God’s law, and says that they who (unrepentantly) commit such acts will not “inherit the kingdom of God”  (I Cor.6: 9-10; Gal.5: 19-21).

As we’ve already seen, Paul was accused by some of being anti-law.  So, James told Paul to do certain things “that all may know… that you yourself also walk orderly and keep the law”  (Acts 21:24).

Paul told young Timothy that “from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation”  (II Tim.3:15).   Here, Paul was referring to the Old Testament, since that was the only scriptures that Timothy had known from childhood.  So , now, thirty some years after the crucifixion, Paul was referring to the Old Testament as “scripture,” and he said that those scriptures make one “wise for salvation”---and he told Timothy to “…continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of”  (verse 14).  “Paul saw no conflict between Old Testament scripture and Christian faith and practice, and confirmed that ALL Scripture (including the Old Testament) is profitable for doctrine and for instruction in righteousness.  These are not the words of someone teaching that God’s Old Testament laws have been done away!” 3

“So when they had appointed him [Paul] a day, many came to him at his lodging, to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets [i.e., from the Old Testament], from morning till evening”  (Acts 28:23).   So, here we see that Paul preached the kingdom of God and Jesusfrom the Old Testament.

Let’s now focus on some scriptures which prove that Paul kept the seventh day Sabbath, as well as the annual holy days of God (as summarized in Leviticus chapter 23):

“And he [Paul] reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks”  (Acts 18:4).

“There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest  [Greek 'sabbatismos'] for the people of God,” said Paul  (Heb.4:9, NIV).

Acts chapter 13 also shows that Paul kept the Sabbath.  [see section “(4)”of this hyperlinked article]

As for the annual holy days of Leviticus 23, the following scriptures show that these days were observed by Paul:

“but [Paul] took leave of them, saying, ‘I must by all means keep this coming feast [of Passover] in Jerusalem’”  (Acts 18:21).

“But we sailed away from Philippi after the Days of Unleavened Bread,” said Paul  (Acts 20:6).

“For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus, so that he would not have to spend time in Asia; for he was hurrying to be at Jerusalem, if possible, on the Day of Pentecost”  (Acts 20:16).

“But I will tarry in Ephesus until Pentecost,” said Paul  (I Cor.16:8).

http://godslawtoday.com/id54.html

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

1 minute ago, Justin Adams said:

In reading Paul’s writings, many people focus on certain scriptures, while ignoring how those scriptures relate to the rest of what Paul wrote.  Yet, the real test of doctrinal soundness is agreement with all the scriptures on a given subject---not just a few scriptures taken out of context.

Let’s now consider scriptures written by Paul which clearly show his strong endorsement of God’s law:

“…the doers of the law will be justified,” said Paul  (Rom.2:13).

“Do we then make void the law through faith?   Certainly not!” said Paul  (Rom.3:31).

“…by the law is the knowledge of sin,” said Paul  (Rom.3:20).

“…the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good…the law is spiritual,” said Paul  (Rom.7: 12,14).

“For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man,” said Paul (Rom.7:22).

“…with the mind I myself serve the law of God,” said Paul  (Rom.7:25).

“Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters,” said Paul  (I Cor.7:19).

“For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work,” warned Paul  (II Thess.2:7).   And why would Paul warn about lawlessness, if he thought that the law had been done away?!

“Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ,” said Paul  (I Cor.11:1).   Yes, Paul---Apostle to the Gentiles---imitated Christ, and instructs us to do likewise!   So, since we are to imitate Christ---and Christ lived in obedience to God’s law ---then that clearly means that we too are to obey God’s spiritual law.

Paul likewise said, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus”  (Philip.2:5).   And he continues, in verse 8, explaining what kind of mind Christ had---a mind that was “obedient to the point of death.”

Paul speaks of those who break specific commandments in God’s law, and says that they who (unrepentantly) commit such acts will not “inherit the kingdom of God”  (I Cor.6: 9-10; Gal.5: 19-21).

As we’ve already seen, Paul was accused by some of being anti-law.  So, James told Paul to do certain things “that all may know… that you yourself also walk orderly and keep the law”  (Acts 21:24).

Paul told young Timothy that “from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation”  (II Tim.3:15).   Here, Paul was referring to the Old Testament, since that was the only scriptures that Timothy had known from childhood.  So , now, thirty some years after the crucifixion, Paul was referring to the Old Testament as “scripture,” and he said that those scriptures make one “wise for salvation”---and he told Timothy to “…continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of”  (verse 14).  “Paul saw no conflict between Old Testament scripture and Christian faith and practice, and confirmed that ALL Scripture (including the Old Testament) is profitable for doctrine and for instruction in righteousness.  These are not the words of someone teaching that God’s Old Testament laws have been done away!” 3

“So when they had appointed him [Paul] a day, many came to him at his lodging, to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets [i.e., from the Old Testament], from morning till evening”  (Acts 28:23).   So, here we see that Paul preached the kingdom of God and Jesusfrom the Old Testament.

Let’s now focus on some scriptures which prove that Paul kept the seventh day Sabbath, as well as the annual holy days of God (as summarized in Leviticus chapter 23):

“And he [Paul] reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks”  (Acts 18:4).

“There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest  [Greek 'sabbatismos'] for the people of God,” said Paul  (Heb.4:9, NIV).

Acts chapter 13 also shows that Paul kept the Sabbath.  [see section “(4)”of this hyperlinked article]

As for the annual holy days of Leviticus 23, the following scriptures show that these days were observed by Paul:

“but [Paul] took leave of them, saying, ‘I must by all means keep this coming feast [of Passover] in Jerusalem’”  (Acts 18:21).

“But we sailed away from Philippi after the Days of Unleavened Bread,” said Paul  (Acts 20:6).

“For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus, so that he would not have to spend time in Asia; for he was hurrying to be at Jerusalem, if possible, on the Day of Pentecost”  (Acts 20:16).

“But I will tarry in Ephesus until Pentecost,” said Paul  (I Cor.16:8).

http://godslawtoday.com/id54.html

You are taking those out of context. The early christians who were Jews still kept those days as a custom. And to get along with other jews where they lived. But they said the gentiles did not need to do so. Read context. Pzul still took a vow. If you want to be under a yoke go ahead.But trying to convert othets to SDA or other sabbath law keeping churchs is your agends.

• Oy Vey! 1

10 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

Jesus was keeping the law as a Jew. He kept it perfect and became the lamb of God without spot. He taught to keep the sabbath with mercy. But once he died and rose from the dead. He gave the holy spirit to all who  believe in his name. They ate under a new covenant. The sabbath is not commanded now. We dont live by the ten commandments. But by Jesus commandments in the new testament. He said love one another as i loved you. And you will bear fruit. But shadows are not needed.

So everything Jesus taught has passed? Why would Jesus teach that law, if it was going to pass shortly?

Why to you, is the Sabbath passed, but not other laws?

Where does it say, that the Sabbath doesn't need to be kept anymore.

If it clearly says to keep it, then it will clearly say to not keep it anymore.

Saying "Jesus kept it perfectly and died, therefore we don't have to", is not an answer.

13 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

We dont live by the ten commandments. But by Jesus commandments in the new testament.

You're kidding right? 

Jesus taught by the ten commandments! Matthew 19:18

Jesus taught from the OT law and perfected it. He didn't abolish it.

We are under the Spirit, does that mean we then nullify the law? God forbid! 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, MyLordsServant said:

So everything Jesus taught has passed? Why would Jesus teach that law, if it was going to pass shortly?

Why to you, is the Sabbath passed, but not other laws?

Where does it say, that the Sabbath doesn't need to be kept anymore.

If it clearly says to keep it, then it will clearly say to not keep it anymore.

Saying "Jesus kept it perfectly and died, therefore we don't have to", is not an answer.

You're kidding right? 

Jesus taught by the ten commandments! Matthew 19:18

Jesus taught from the OT law and perfected it. He didn't abolish it.

We are under the Spirit, does that mean we then nullify the law? God forbid! 

by living by the commandment of love it fulfills the intent of the shadows of the law.

Just now, Wayne222 said:

You are taking those out of context. The early christians who were Jews still kept those days as a custom. And to get along with other jews where they lived. But they said the gentiles did not need to do so. Read context. Pzul still took a vow. If you want to be under a yoke go ahead.But trying to convert othets to SDA or other sabbath law keeping churchs is your agends.

You are not reading it correctly. You jump to conclusions as well. I am not SDA. But you have only two buckets I see. Yours and everybody else's. Oh dear. Saul met with Jews, Greeks and Gentiles says the text - ON THE SABBATH.

Paul took the Nazarite vow to prove he was FOR the law since some misconstrued his words. Subtle alterations down thru the ages have also altered the sense. And do not talk about context please since this is always a way people have of altering the sense of plain talking. Just read plainly what it says and do not twist it to your doctrines. An read it ALL, chapter and verse breaks OFTEN confuse as to plain sense. Chapter and verse breaks are merely a translation aid and do NOT construe topical senses or chapter/subject breaks. Read the whole thing and do not cherry-pick verses to suit your doctrines.

You do not have a leg to stand on to tell people not to observe the Law, the Commandments and the Sabbath of the Lord.

That is called LAWLESSNESS.

• Brilliant! 1

Just now, Wayne222 said:

by living by the commandment of love it fulfills the intent of the shadows of the law.

And you can still break the intent of the law by not loving. Bearing false wittness to someone is hateful. Its not a way to love them. So if i bear false wittmess i have sin now because i broke the commandment to love othets. But shadows like the sabbath is not breaking the commandment to love one anotherm

2 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

Jesus says, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments".

What are the commandments again? 

You know.. the laws he taught from OT?

Which included how to keep the Sabbath?

• Thumbs Up 1